Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:35 AM

55 posts, read 182,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The closest to a Brooklyn Heights vibe would be Fox Point or Wayland Square. Lots to walk to, including groceries. Amtrak/MBTA would be a short bus ride away.

Coincidentally I was just in "SoNo" Monday night; looks like a neat area!
Thanks for the heads up so we don't rule those out. And yeah! It's not too bad. A little urban oasis in a suburb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 07:57 AM

548 posts, read 815,906 times
Agree with all above comments that College Hill / Wayland sound like good options. And in PVD you are talking about a very small area -- while College Hill, Fox Pt, Wayland Sq, Blackstone, Hope Village are technically separate neighborhoods and do have slightly different feels, the reality is all of them together are an area that's 2.5 miles x 1 mile (collectively, "the East Side"). And that whole area is very walkable as a unit -- no impediments like a freeway with limited crossings or sketchy/industrial areas you might want to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauset View Post
Hi All,

My husband and I are considering a move to Providence and would like some advice.

My husband was offered a great job, and I would need to find one- I'm currently an Art Director at a tech healthcare company (but do not need the same replicated in providence- having a senior design job is all I need in any industry). We are childless now, but will not be in a few years. We're looking for a neighborhood that is full of things to do- My husband is from Nashville and I am from New York (I am not a New Yorker looking for Manhattan in Providence, I promise). We will come with one car, but would like a walkable neighborhood- AKA, can drive for groceries, but would like to walk to bars/restaurants, etc. We currently live in South Norwalk, in an urban neighborhood of a New York Suburb. The best way to describe is that I can train to my job, and we can walk to bars but would need to drive to a mall, or to the grocery store. Looking for about the same.

We would probably move to an apt first to make sure the neighborhood is right, and then buy a house. I'm prepared for car tax and property taxes, because both are higher in Fairfield county CT, and are looking for a 2 bed 2 bath sub 3,000. I got on wiki to look at neighborhoods... am I right in thinking College Hill, or Federal Hill would be a good place to start looking? Other neighborhoods I'm curious about are : Blackstone, West End, Wayland Square, Hope, Fox Point, Elmhurst, Downtown and Charles.

Just so this question is even longer, when it comes time to buy a house, we would want to buy with a good school in mind. I see that the high school has a great rating, but that the elementary and middle schools do not. What do Providence residents do for school for the younger kids? We were both public schooled our whole lives and would prefer to have our potential future children schooled the same way.

Please and thanks for the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: