Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 04:27 PM

822 posts, read 857,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
Regardless of positive or negative comments on this thread we are excited to be visiting in March. Shockingly we had 8 inches of snow today... Never happens. Love it. I came to this forum for information and I have gotten it. Good and bad and that was expected. If you asked me what it's like living in Memphis where I'm from originally I'd have nothing but negative things to say. I know people have nothing but positive. We look forward to exploring and taking all things mentioned into consideration. I've been contacted about a job so we shall see. Thank you all for the advice and I look forward to chatting more. We have been researching Warwick. Any thoughts? We liked he house prices
Im glad you got some useful info. One thing you may find out about native Rhode Islanders is that most are very pessimistic and have a negative attitude about their state, even though they've never done a thing to help make it better, or have never bothered to move out. If they did they may find that RI is a pretty nice place to live. Yes, it has its problems like anywhere else, but overall it has a lot going for it. I'll admit it took me a couple decades of living in other states to appreciate RI. As far as Warwick, its a good central location, but I find it a lil congested. I think Cranston, Johnston and Lincoln are good locations if you want to be closer to Prov. If you want more "woodsy" I suggest Scituate, Smithfield, or Coventry..still close to Prov. and rt 95, but you would have more space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 04:45 PM

41 posts, read 66,656 times
Ok cool! We haven't looked into Cranston or Coventry. We have looked into Smithfield and north Smithfield, Lincoln , Woonsocket( not a first choice) parts of providence . We are looking to stay below 200,000

Old 01-22-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Ok cool! We haven't looked into Cranston or Coventry. We have looked into Smithfield and north Smithfield, Lincoln , Woonsocket( not a first choice) parts of providence . We are looking to stay below 200,000
for that amount you may have better luck in Coventry, its a nice town..very wooded in the Western part, but still easy access to rt 95. West Warwick is ok too. the West End of Prov is pretty cool.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
for that amount you may have better luck in Coventry, its a nice town..very wooded in the Western part, but still easy access to rt 95. West Warwick is ok too. the West End of Prov is pretty cool.
From what we have found we like the homes and prices in Coventry

Old 01-22-2016, 06:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
From what we have found we like the homes and prices in Coventry

Not sure if you are using a website; but www.riliving.com is your best bet, it is the Rhode Island MLS system. Tax rates by city/town are listed in "About RI";. I would imagine that your company will refer you to a good Realtor, or already has. (The property taxes in RI are high in all price ranges); you will want to pay close attention to not only property taxes by town/city, but also auto and homeowner's insurance, motor vehicle taxes will vary; all adding up to your monthly living expenses. The average price of $220,000 for a home in Cranston e.g., will be approx. $3800/yr.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 PM

We are using Riliving we haven't been offered jobs yet so things are still up in the air but moving forward if that makes sense.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:52 AM

3,791 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Ormari, read the link I posted; it is a man made pond. "Social Ocean" has been a play on words in the Woonsocket area since it was created.
I understand it is a man-made pond. From the photos, it does appear to be a small pond, however. I will have to check it out the next time I am in Woonsocket, as I have never been to the Social Street area, or at least I was not cognizant of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Woonsocket was always a poor city/area, very poor and the 'pond' is in the Social St. neighborhood. Back then, whole families worked in the textile mills or other mills. Kids had to quit school at young ages (pre-teen) to work in the mills; and tenements were and still are the norm up there, as well as various housing projects. The kids had no place to go to cool off in the summers, so the city 'made' the pond and put 'beach sand' on part of it.
The beautiful historic houses in Woonsocket suggest there is more to the story. I think that the grand Victorian houses of Woonsocket in the historic district in the North End, and elsewhere in the city, indicate that the city had wealthy sections. Those houses were likely inhabited by bankers, mill owners, and other higher-ups in local industry. Surely there were poor and wealthy occupying the city, with the mills that drove the local economy the connection. If Woonsocket is true to type, the demographics changed later, probably post WWII.

independent man called out the Victorians as grand, and grand houses were not built by or for the poor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I know several people in white collar, northern RI, jobs who live in the North End of Woonsocket - by choice. The historic residential neighborhood is very quiet and off the beaten traffic path. They enjoy owning grand houses which would cost them more than twice as much on Providence's East Side. None of these friends have children, so the poor reputation of the public school system there isn't a factor.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:08 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
^^^ Yes, the North End of Woons. was where the wealthy mill owners lived. The mills ran for several years, until most of the textile mfg., along with the mill owners, moved south because of lower wages. The "North End" now is not exactly an enclave for the rich. Many of those large homes have been divided up into apartments.

Unless buyers are history buffs or can buy them cheap and reno, the $400K plus price range buyers will seek out newer properties in Cumberland, Lincoln, Barrington, East Side of Prov., or East Greenwich for several reasons.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:33 AM

3,791 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
The Woonsocket area is more likely to get an 18 inch snowfall than 15 miles south in the Providence area. Many times it will snow in Woonsocket but not Providence. Last years big snowstorm (almost a year ago) brought 18 inches to the south (Providence toward the coast) but 2-3 feet in northern Rhode Island (North and Northwest of Providence). You can count on a storm of this type once every 2-3 years. But it has much to do with elevation and distance from the coast. So far this year we have had but two inches of snow in northern R.I. Last year at this time our winter was just beginning with cold temps and snow that lasted thru March. Depending on where you lived the snowfall was 6 feet to 10 feet in a short span of 10 weeks, BUT this is not normal. Good luck on your choice.
It is generally true that the snow is worse to the north of Providence. The majority of storms seem to hit Worcester & Boston, even northern RI, harder than Providence, or South County, Block and Aquidneck Islands, or Cape Cod and MV/Nantucket. And the snow lingers longer "up there" too.

With today's storm we have the counter-example. Every now and then the roles are reversed, and the shoreline bears the brunt of the snow.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:37 AM

North and West of Prov is at a little more of an elevation .. not much, but it can make a difference. But, snowfall amouts usually depend on the type of storm, and the direction its coming from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island