Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. You've given us lots to research! We should find out tomorrow about any openings available in my husbands company . Stay tuned
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Or...One currently lives on the South Side.
Why massnative71, you flatter me. I had no idea you took such a keen interest in my whereabouts. I would not have any problem living almost anyplace on the South Side of Providence; there are beautiful Victorian houses in Elmwood, Lower South Providence, Washington Park, and the West End. Maybe I live there, but maybe I don't. That said, I have actually never disclosed just where exactly I do live in Providence.

Don't forget, I read this forum for a long while during the period when I was doing research about the city; I researched many neighborhoods extensively. Your posts stood out for a number of reasons because I did not find them to represent what I saw on the ground. I've alluded to some of this before. I always tried to take stock of what each individual character here expressed to see if the posts rang true. You might say I read it in part for the information and part for the character and story development. You'll have to forgive me for thinking so but this post stood out about you:

Quote:
No you have no idea where I grew up in Boston, nor will I tell you, nor is it any of your business. It is not always a good idea to reveal so much about your self on a public forum such as this, as there are all sorts of anonymous creeps out there in cyberspace, you know?
It's but one of the reasons I've taken a little artistic license with my own "identity" on this board.

Quote:
So in other words, the only reason one would move to Woonsocket is because it's cheaper (or there was no inventory elsewhere)?

The OP is coming up anyway, so they will see for themselves. But I think anyone not familiar with the place can read between the lines here...
No, that's not what I said. You're jumping to conclusions, again without proper basis.

I presume if the OP, who has a friend in the area, is more reliant on their friend than a bunch of angry curmudgeons in cyberspace.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Or...One currently lives on the South Side.

So in other words, the only reason one would move to Woonsocket is because it's cheaper (or there was no inventory elsewhere)?

The OP is coming up anyway, so they will see for themselves. But I think anyone not familiar with the place can read between the lines here...
They have 3 dogs which is going to be a problem with many rentals. They can check out the neighborhood when they are up visiting.

I agree with you that Woonsocket is poor and run down.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:29 PM

41 posts, read 66,692 times
Yes we have 3 small dogs all 5 pounds or less and house trained. We know it may prove to be difficult which is why we are hoping my friends rental property she owns is available when and if it comes time to move. We also have the option to purchase but we would rather rent first to explore options.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post

I presume if the OP, who has a friend in the area, is more reliant on their friend than a bunch of angry curmudgeons in cyberspace.

The OP was looking for some insight on the area, not to be told to ignore what posters here have to say and just rely on the friend for info. Maybe you ought to stop posting on C-D as well, if that is how you truly feel Mr. Ormari. Either way, I feel he/she has been given a fairly accurate picture. It is always helpful to have an idea of what to expect ahead of time, which is a main reason this forum exists. You may not like all the information that comes out here, that is fine.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-19-2016 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-20-2016, 10:52 AM

4,402 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What's YOUR problem here? My post was in response to ormari who told them to take RIPTA busses.
Try to keep up.

This topic is for the benefit of the OP.
No one told anyone to take a bus.

Omari responded to her question about public transit by saying that someone else would be better able to answer the question about RIPTA in the north of the state, and providing her with a link to RIPTA, but that "a car would certainly make exploring the suburban areas faster".

That doesn't translate to "Take the bus."

Please stop mischaracterizing what other posters say, and then insulting them when they object!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:50 PM

41 posts, read 66,692 times
Waiting on job offers......

Old 01-21-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
The OP was looking for some insight on the area, not to be told to ignore what posters here have to say and just rely on the friend for info. Maybe you ought to stop posting on C-D as well, if that is how you truly feel Mr. Ormari. Either way, I feel he/she has been given a fairly accurate picture. It is always helpful to have an idea of what to expect ahead of time, which is a main reason this forum exists. You may not like all the information that comes out here, that is fine.
You know how much weight I put on the opinion of the non-Rhode Island posters who "advise" us here in this little forum.

My point was that generally, some posters here have a tendency to beat on a place without on-the-ground experience. They propagate a negative reputation whether its deserved or not, which really amounts to nothing better than vicious gossip. How many threads are there on this forum about Woonsocket? How many of the people beating up on the place have lived there? How many have worked there? How many have a close family member or friend who lives there who relayed their experience? How many have spent significant time there? Driving in to get fish and chips at Ye Olde English or wieners at New york Lunch doesn't count.

To these posters, the glass isn't even half empty; it's completely empty.

Was your "fairly accurate picture" just another one formulated from yet another armchair google streetview drive-by from whatever state you live in this month?

I don't think anybody in this thread has denied that the economic condition of the city is tough. But the city does have redeeming qualities, and there are reasons people would choose to live there. I cited a couple of them.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
Waiting on job offers......
Hope things work out well for you.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
^ ^ ^ ^ LOL! You're just jealous because you are not a native and didn't grow up in RI either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island