Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:07 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times

Advertisements

This is the kind of legislation our lawmakers are introducing. The law has always been that neighbors can prune tree limbs that overhang into their yard or on their property if they choose to.

Now RI state legislators are trying to make homeowners responsible for every bit of debris that falls onto someone's property..... seriously?

There are enormous old trees in my neighborhood on the east side, for example, that drop leaves into 4 or 5 backyards at a time. Will this lead to these 200+ year old trees being destroyed? What about if my tree leaves blow down the street onto your lawn? What about if seed pods blow off my bush over a fence?

This whole thing just seems ridiculously unnecessary to me! All it will produce are law suits, fines, and destruction of plants. We're supposed to be planting more trees, not destroying them.

If this guy is worried about a certain district like North Providence or wherever he lives, for example, at least limit the stupid legislation if he wants all pine trees destroyed.

Prune or pay up: Bill targets negligent neighbors’ trees | WPRI 12 Eyewitness News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:20 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
I agree with you Hollytree. This is nonsense legislation and it is an embarrassment that it passed the senate 26-6. When I heard about this yesterday I was deeply concerned for the future of trees in our state. Frank Ciccone is in Silver Lake, not NP, and apparently his legislation is attempting to target pine trees, though as worded it attacks all trees.

Regardless, some pine trees are native species (such as Eastern White Pine) and are an important part of our urban forest in Providence and the ecosystem of the state. For instance, pine trees provide necessary habitat to bird species that overwinter in our state.

What they are proposing is shameful and narrow minded.

This isn't even half baked legislation, this is a mish-mash batter that should end up in the trash; they haven't thought this through in the slightest. The way it is written it makes no distinction between conifers and broad leafed deciduous trees as claimed, for instance.

My senator voted for this. Paiva-Weed voted for this. 24 others voted for this. I can't believe it passed the senate. The house should round file this terrible legislation.

If homeowners are faced with the prospect of paying fines of $500 as penance for pine needles or sap (!) falling on their neighbor's property, they'll ultimately cut the trees down. This should be obvious.

Last edited by ormari; 03-03-2016 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 AM

171 posts, read 308,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I agree with you Hollytree. This is nonsense legislation and it is an embarrassment that it passed the senate 26-6. When I heard about this yesterday I was deeply concerned for the future of trees in our state. Frank Ciccone is in Silver Lake, not NP, and apparently his legislation is attempting to target pine trees, though as worded it attacks all trees.

Regardless, some pine trees are native species (such as Eastern White Pine) and are an important part of our urban forest in Providence and the ecosystem of the state. For instance, pine trees provide necessary habitat to bird species that overwinter in our state.

What they are proposing is shameful and narrow minded.

This isn't even half baked legislation, this is a mish-mash batter that should end up in the trash; they haven't thought this through in the slightest. The way it is written it makes no distinction between conifers and broad leafed deciduous trees as claimed, for instance.

My senator voted for this. Paiva-Weed voted for this. 24 others voted for this. I can't believe it passed the senate. The house should round file this terrible legislation.

If homeowners are faced with the prospect of paying fines of $500 as penance for pine needles or sap (!) falling on their neighbor's property, they'll ultimately cut the trees down. This should be obvious.
I agree that this bill is shameful. However, I highly doubt that it will be vigorously enforced, if it becomes law.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:57 PM

I am very much hoping it won't pass the house and also hope that our opinions will be seen. One big reason why I post on city data.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:46 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Who were the 6 who voted against it?

Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 AM

Here is the list of 6 RI Senators who voted against this foolishness:

Algiere
Cote
Fogarty
Kettle
Morgan
Pagliarini

Old 03-05-2016, 06:04 AM

Thanks Ormari!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Former gubernatorial candidate Ken Block tweeted out this photo of the house of Frank Ciccone. It has all the appearances of a bill designed to help a state Senator strong arm his neighbor...

Is this an abuse of power?

Do you think Sen. Frank Ciccone is having sap land on his car, and this is his payback?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cc3aO8kW8AEj8mq.jpg:large

Old 03-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Jeez- one tree in that photo and he's got to get it cut down.

Why doesn't he keep his #$%^&*( car in his garage?

Old 03-09-2016, 06:01 PM

This story made national news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcnews
Pine trees are "nice in the forest, nice in certain areas, but they shed these pine needles and sap onto adjacent vehicles and driveways," he said.
Couple this with the photo of his house. Could the guy be more transparent as to his motives? Nah, that pine tree hanging over his driveway has nothing to do with it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBreeze
PROVIDENCE – Local Sen. Frank Ciccone is conceding this week that he’s been frustrated with a neighbor over pine needles and sap falling on his driveway, but says that personal annoyance had nothing to do with his bill to penalize others for “nuisance” trees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcnews
Sen. Elaine Morgan, a Republican who voted against it, said landowners shouldn't be held responsible for raking falling leaves.

"If a tree fell in my neighbor's yard, yes, I would take care of it," she said. "But leaves? I clean my own. Are we going to do genetic testing to see whose leaves they are?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island