Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,501 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are house-hunting and torn between Edgewood (not too far from Pawtuxet village area) and Elmhurst (quieter streets away from PC frat houses). Our range is 250-300. We are in our early 30s, no kids but would like to start a family soon. We like being able to walk to places which makes the Pawtuxet village area particularly appealing. We like Elmhurst because it's so close to Providence, but are worried about rowdiness from students and not crazy about the Smith Hill area.

We went to the open house today on 32 Quincy Street in Elmhurst and really loved the home. We also went to the open house on 70 Ferncrest in Edgewood which we liked but not as much.

I know this is subjective, but I am curious about people's opinions between these two areas.

We plan on selling in 6 years or so and are very curious if you think that homes in one area are more likely to maintain/increase in value (as much as these things can be predicted). Thank you in advance to anyone who helps us out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:18 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,168,380 times
Both areas are great. You won't have to worry about rowdiness on Quincy.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 PM

3,648 posts, read 2,641,374 times
A few years back, I looked at a house on Eaton St in Elmhurst (not far from Quincy St.), and also looked at a house on Ferncrest in Cranston. I too think either spot is fine.

I won't pretend to be able to predict the future, but the trend is an increasing desire for close-in spots in cities, and Providence seems to be following that trend. Elmhurst is fairly close in.

As to the proximity of Elmhurst to Smith Hil: I've known people who have lived (one who currently lives) in Smith Hill. It gets a bad rap because of the tenements, but none of the people I know have been the victims of any crime there. One did, however, witness someone breaking into the house next door to them, and thanks to my friend the perpetrator was caught by police. That was almost 15 years ago, and Smith Hill was worse then.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,141,889 times
It's worth mentioning, though, that Edgewood is also pretty close, despite being outside the city limits. You can be downtown in 10 minutes. I just mapped the center of Elmhurst to downtown and it was nine minutes, so really not a whole lot of difference there.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 PM

23,298 posts, read 18,461,975 times
Elmhurst IS in Providence.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:59 AM

3,648 posts, read 2,641,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
It's worth mentioning, though, that Edgewood is also pretty close, despite being outside the city limits. You can be downtown in 10 minutes. I just mapped the center of Elmhurst to downtown and it was nine minutes, so really not a whole lot of difference there.
I agree that Edgewood is pretty close in to the downtown core. And I like Edgewood. But I respectfully submit that 10 minutes travel time figure is referenced from a car commuter's perspective. It really depends on how you're getting downtown. It also really depends on where you're likely to go downtown, and from where in each neighborhood you start.

I did the same mapping, though I used the addresses OP provided for starting addresses, and the Amtrak Station as destination. In that case, the Quincy St location is closer in distance, and takes half the time by bus, compared with the Ferncrest Ave location. It is also faster by bike as well.

Of course choosing the train station as the destination stacks the deck in favor of Elmhurst. Choosing Kennedy Plaza as the destination levels the playing field somewhat, but still favors the Elmhurst location. If the destination were somewhere in Jewelry District, then possibly the Ferncrest Ave location would win when using public transit or biking...

Pawtuxet Village and Roger Williams Park are major marks in favor of Edgewood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Elmhurst IS in Providence.
Yes. And the Ferncrest Ave location is in Cranston... My post was referencing proximity to the city core, and that's what I meant by close in.

Last edited by ormari; 03-22-2016 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: missing word...

Old 03-22-2016, 09:30 AM

23,298 posts, read 18,461,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
My post was referencing proximity to the city core, and that's what I meant by close in.
My post was more directed to the OP, who possibly had the impression that Elmhurst is a separate city,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: