Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 AM

190 posts, read 202,306 times

Advertisements

I live in Burrillville and yesterday we drove down a beautiful street in I guess the college hill area of Providence, it was residential with nice older homes and beautiful ornamental bushes and trees. What is exactly the east side of Providence? I am looking for suggestions of nice residential streets to walk, I am especially interested in the blooming foliage. I do not drive, never learned, lived in the Cambridge/ Somerville area most of my adult life and relocated to marry 6 years ago. I like Burrillville a lot but it gets boring walking around, I miss nice historic neighborhoods. I plan on taking a bus from Woonsocket to Providence and get off and walk. Maybe I will use Ripta for sightseeing as well. Does anyone have any favorite streets that I would enjoy? Besides Benefit St. Not commercial either, I want to look at homes and the spring flora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Head directly for Blackstone Boulevard.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riblue View Post
I live in Burrillville and yesterday we drove down a beautiful street in I guess the college hill area of Providence, it was residential with nice older homes and beautiful ornamental bushes and trees. What is exactly the east side of Providence? I am looking for suggestions of nice residential streets to walk, I am especially interested in the blooming foliage. I do not drive, never learned, lived in the Cambridge/ Somerville area most of my adult life and relocated to marry 6 years ago. I like Burrillville a lot but it gets boring walking around, I miss nice historic neighborhoods. I plan on taking a bus from Woonsocket to Providence and get off and walk. Maybe I will use Ripta for sightseeing as well. Does anyone have any favorite streets that I would enjoy? Besides Benefit St. Not commercial either, I want to look at homes and the spring flora.

Benefit Street s very beautifil and historic. I would walk Benefit, then up College Hill at Angell. Take Angell Street and go up College Hill (it's very steep). Make sure to take a breather and look down at the historic First Baptist Church. (I walk this hill two or three times a day -- if you guys aren't used to a stout climb, please don't climb it, take Uber or (gasp!) your car, though parking is tough.) Please note that Brown's commencement (known as Liberation Day by those of us who live here 365) is 29 May and it will be very difficult to move around that entire weekend.

Go up to Congdon, take a left and proceed to the stuning Prospect Terrace Park. Before you hit the park, stop at the Meeting Street steps -- it's quirky and typically CH.

Then keep going a block and you'll be at PTP. Admire the gorgeous PVD skyline. Then exit the park and go a block east to Prospect via Meeting or Bowen to Prospect Street -- great, huge houses. Take a right on Prospect and walk about three or four blocks, and enter the Brown Main Green. Wander around. If you're hungry, hit Thayer. It's junk food by and large, but Skewer's on the east side of Thayer, a humble kabob place, has very healthy salads, possibly the only healthy food you'll find on Thayer. And then go to Ben and Jerry's on the west side of Thayer and get a cone, and take it from there. Not sure what's at the List Gallery this week but that's fun (and free). The Avon Theater is very nice if you choose to make a day of it, which you really, really should.

CH is like no place else, and I hope you have a great time. Holly should be along any minute -- she's the preservation expert on this forum -- she'll have great ideas for you.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 05-09-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 08:27 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
take the Elmgrove Bus(#40) to Freeman Parkway (ask the driver). Walk in any direction. Emeline Street has always been a favorite of mine and upper Freeman Parkway off of Morris Ave. If you are the walker then take the #1 Hope Street bus to Olney Street (after Hope High School) and head east. Once you get to Morris Ave take a left and continue to Freeman Parkway. Head down Freeman Parkway and continue across Elmgrove Ave until you reach Blackstone Blvd. But once down the hill you can go in any direction. Hazard Ave (a block away from Freeman Pkwy) has the house you see at the beginning of the TV show Providence.

check out the following bus schedules on RIPTA #35, #78 (they run thru Wayland Square south of he east side. #1 runs the most often (every 16 minutes) and splits the East Side on the west. The #40 bus runs into the east side but only hourly.

Not trying to be confusing but you could stay on the #1 until Blackstone Blvd and start you tour there or take the #40 to Blackstone Blvd.

good luck and enjoy

Old 05-09-2016, 08:50 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
The East Side is in full bloom right now- cherries, plums, azaleas, korean spice bush, dogwoods, lilacs! You can't go wrong in most areas from College Hill to Blackstone. The more tightly knit sections such as Fox Point will be historic but not so much to see in the way of ornamentals. The larger homes which cover the east side will all have gardens in bloom now- some great walking suggestions have already been given.

The June issue of HGTV magazine is doing Providence homes this time- should be out soon- grocery stores often carry it......

Old 05-10-2016, 04:26 AM

Also... don't forget...

Saturday June 11- Providence Preservation Society historic house tours in Providence. Sign up on their website.

See the interiors of those houses you've always walked by.....

Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
^ That's what I was wondering. I'm going this year as I forgot about it last year.

Holly, there's a house on Congdon that has a greenhouse built atop a three stall brick-faced garage -- it's on a double lot. Do you know anything about that place? It was in a state of disrepair but I see workmen there now. I've never seen the house, just this huge lot with the aforementioned greenhouse.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 AM

Mary A. Gowdey (now deceased) did a wonderful series of house histories: see here: google "gowdey house histories"
She ranks in the pantheon of local preservationists up there with Antoinette Downing.

Don't know about a greenhouse on top- need exact address- might have to look up a building permit (?) at (our lovely) City Hall or maybe check for an article about the house in the Providence Journal online index available through the main site of Providence Public Library.

Sadly, the city archives atop city hall is without an archivist and the city is looking ( very probably ineffectively) for new digs for the long neglected city archives which has been allowed to sit in a leaking un-airconditioned environment for decades....
don't get me started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island