Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

I may be meeting a friend for dinner or lunch somewhere in Rhode Island. I would like it to be east of Providence which is about half way between where we both are. It should be a good restaurant with easy parking (so not downtown) and be handicapped accessible. Prefer either seafood or Italian but something else would also be good. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
You've got no shortage of restaurants in the East Bay, which is probably pound for pound the best restaurant area in the state. I recommend Trafford in Warren. Beautiful waterfront setting, they specialize in seafood, lots of parking out front, and I believe there's a big ramp for accessibility (though I may be remembering that wrong, so I recommend you call and check).

Old 05-24-2016, 09:19 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Are you looking for something along the I-195 corridor? How far east and for that matter how far west? Ever have Portuguese food? It is a little heavy, but there is an excellent restaurant on Warren Ave, East Providence called Madera. Warren Ave runs parallel to I-195. There are also many restaurants in Seekonk, Ma. The Grist Mill is excellent. And there are many at the 114/6 intersection. We need a little more info Jay. The town of Warren is off of I-195 and a little more drive gets you to Bristol with their many restaurants.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Where in CT are you Jay?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:55 AM

12,859 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Bristol Oyster Bar in Bristol is great for Oysters ($1 from 4-6 daily and all day Sunday) as well as small seafood plates. Not a bad value either.

Bywater in Warren is one of my favorites. Seafood especially.

Metacom Kitchen also in Warren is very good. Sort of "New American" with a small, ever-changing, diverse menu. Everything is good, including the seafood.

I've heard excellent things about Eli's Kitchen in Warren but haven't tried it myself. Looks more like comfort food than seafood, but worth checking the menu out.

Chomp! in Warren for a burger/craft beer type place. They also operate the brand new Statesman Tavern in Bristol which I'd check out just because Chomp is so good.

Further east (we'll call it the Far East), the Red Dory in Tiverton has never disappointed. Waterfront at the Back Eddy in Westport, MA could be out of the way, but also might be worth it. If Westport's not out of the way, the traditional NE Seafood at Bayside in Westport is only matched by the view.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Bywater in Warren is one of my favorites. Seafood especially.
I was going to recommend Bywater, but I was there last Monday night -- traditionally a slow night for restaurants -- and there was a longish wait. They don't take reservations. So maybe not ideal for someone with a disability.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:58 PM

12,859 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I was going to recommend Bywater, but I was there last Monday night -- traditionally a slow night for restaurants -- and there was a longish wait. They don't take reservations. So maybe not ideal for someone with a disability.
Good point. I missed the part about being handicap accessible. I think (?) most of them are, but a few are pretty small/tight.

I would have recommended Trafford too, but you did. You're remembering correctly, there's a big ramp and it's very accessible (though not the dining area on the 2nd floor). I actually did Mother's Day dinner there. Great seafood.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Chardonnay's in Seekonk would be a good bet for dinner, not sure if they are open for lunch. A good standby would be Gregg's (small RI chain) in E. Providence, if you don't want to stray too far from the highway. Just standard fare, but done WELL.

The East Bay suggestions are all good as well, but it all depends on how far out of your way you want to go. Especially to Bristol, that road can be a drag on weekends.

Last edited by massnative71; 05-24-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 04:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Modern casual: Agave along the Bristol waterfront is excellent too, dine inside or outside. The owner is from NY, I think he may have two places now.

For old time casual, I love love Quito's in Bristol .... omg ..... always crowded ... best chowder and fried clams. Eat outside.

Only 2 things in RI that I miss: Steamed 2-3 lb. whole lobster w/drawn butter; and fried clams. I try to get that fix when I visit if I have time. Otherwise, we have to settle for fresh caught native trout right out of the cold mountain rivers here. Mmmmmm.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:24 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Modern casual: Agave along the Bristol waterfront is excellent too, dine inside or outside. The owner is from NY, I think he may have two places now.
2nd that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island