U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:31 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,639,050 times

Advertisements

So because I'm a VIP, I've been invited to Fenway Park on Thursday for a Sox game: batting practice on the field, a VIP tour of the ballpark, then seats in the press box for the game. I'm supposed to get there around 4:45 (though I'll probably show up later).

Only problem is, how do I get there? I was thinking about driving, but I just checked Google and the estimated drive from my house in East Greenwich at that time is "1:30 to 2:30." I didn't get to be a VIP by stupidly driving into that much traffic. What alternatives would you recommend? I'm thinking something to the effect of "drive to so-and-so T station, then take the train," but what's the best route involving easy parking and a manageable trip, including on the way home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 AM

How about this? Drive to the Waban T stop and take the Green Line to Fenway. Google says the drive would take between 1:05 and 1:30 at that time.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Looks like Newton Highlands is the same drive and two fewer stops on the train. But how's the parking? Anyone know?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:14 AM

7,926 posts, read 11,926,834 times
I don't think there's any parking at Newton Highlands except maybe on the street.

Click on each station on the subway map and it will tell you about the parking.

MBTA Subway 'The 'T' > Green Line Subway Information, Schedules, Stops, and Maps

Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I don't think there's any parking at Newton Highlands except maybe on the street.
Is street parking out of the question, though? I did some street viewing and it looked like some of the side streets have one-hour parking until 6. Let's say I show up at 4:30 -- I could get away with that, couldn't I?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM

9,932 posts, read 8,475,449 times
Take 95 N to Rte 1 N (do not go all the way to 128) which becomes Providence Hwy then VFW Pkwy then Center St. then Jamaicaway then Riverway right to Fenway as so much easier when you could just say Rte. 1). I have a free spot 10 minute walk from Fenway but not sure if Im ready to broadcast it out. Im sure you could find street parking if you get creative. Otherwise, maybe the garage under the Lanmark Center. Not sure what they charge these days.

Last edited by massnative71; 06-14-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,011,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Is street parking out of the question, though? I did some street viewing and it looked like some of the side streets have one-hour parking until 6. Let's say I show up at 4:30 -- I could get away with that, couldn't I?
If you go a block or two off Beacon Street on Collins Road or Waban Avenue, you can park close to the Waban Station without a time limit.

It looks like some of the streets around Newton Highlands are 2-hour parking until 6:00. Very close to the station is 2-hour parking until 10:00.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:13 PM

9,932 posts, read 8,475,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
If you go a block or two off Beacon Street on Collins Road or Waban Avenue, you can park close to the Waban Station without a time limit.

It looks like some of the streets around Newton Highlands are 2-hour parking until 6:00. Very close to the station is 2-hour parking until 10:00.
Pointless, just drive to Fenway. The T is a nightmare after games let out.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Pointless, just drive to Fenway. The T is a nightmare after games let out.
But what about the possibility that it'll take me two and a half hours to drive to Fenway? The drive to Newton could be as much as an hour shorter. That's according to Google Maps, at least. I'm also assuming, though I could be completely wrong, that the T will be less crazy in the westbound direction.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:47 PM

8,571 posts, read 16,674,360 times
If you're going to do the T's rapid transit, pay the $7 to park and go to Quincy Adams and take the Red Line. No parking concerns. After the game, you can skip the crowds at Kenmore and Fenway by walking up to the Museum of Fine Arts stop on the E (nice walk through the Fens) and catching that to Park where you'll transfer to the Red. While taking the Green Line from Riverside is a one-seat ride, waiting for an outbound B, C, or D after a Sox game is impossible. I'd prefer the transfer at Park to waiting in that crowd any day.

The commuter rail runs pretty late along that route. You could catch an 11:05p.m. or 12:04am from Back Bay to Providence. That'll be the most hassle free way to do it. Getting from Fenway to Back Bay is easy enough. You can either walk a block to Copley and get on the Green Line, take a cab/uber/lyft/fasten, etc. or just walk (about 15 minutes). You vou could even go nuts and catch a pedi-cab.

Or you can just drive. It's a pain, but if you use Waze, you'll get the best route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or