Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:06 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,179,610 times

Advertisements

The Southwest Expressway was proposed to be eight lanes (later revised to six - two general and one HOV in each direction). I doubt it would have provided any more efficiency to get into Boston, since it would not only dump out in to the same congested core as all the other backed up highways, but would have also attracted sprawling car-oriented development to the neighborhoods it would have passed through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 10:17 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The Southwest Expressway was proposed to be eight lanes (later revised to six - two general and one HOV in each direction). I doubt it would have provided any more efficiency to get into Boston, since it would not only dump out in to the same congested core as all the other backed up highways, but would have also attracted sprawling car-oriented development to the neighborhoods it would have passed through.
Also, induced demand would make it just as much a nightmare as any other highway leading in/out of town.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:15 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I originally come from the area where it would have passed through, and for comparison sake I can assure you it is no better off for it than neighborhoods bisected by the SE Expressway. In fact, I would say that West Quincy, East Milton, Neponset... made out better. There would also be less pressure on the Braintree split today, had that happened.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:09 PM

3,771 posts, read 2,679,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Tech centers are usually anchored by multiple elite universities. Stanford/UCB. Harvard/MIT. NYC tri-state with big pharma. One Ivy doesn't get you to critical mass. You're never going to see Hanover, NH or Ithaca, NY as a tech center any more than you'd see New Haven. Philly has the same problem. Research Triangle Park never quite got there despite Duke, the low tax/cheap real estate climate, and all the state money. Providence is at least close enough to the metro-Boston tech center to have a shot at it.

DC has the infinite government money so it's a special case. Seattle had the dumb luck of Bill Gates. Chicago should do better.

I suppose this won't be popular in a Rhode Island forum but I view Providence as being an edge city for Boston just like Worcester though a way better city than Worcester. If the NIMBY people hadn't killed the I-95 Southwest Corridor project years ago, we'd have a 10 lane superhighway connecting them and Providence would be booming. With only the Southeast Expressway, Providence might as well be on the moon if you're sitting in Kendall Square. Yeah, there's the Red Line and Amtrak but you also need to be able to drive it and it's not like it's easy to get to and from the Providence Amtrak station.
I don’t agree with most of this. It’s far more complicated than your synopsis renders. I’ll make a first order response.

First, I think your notion of Tech Centers is far too restrictive. There are far more than you admit. Wikipedia has a much longer list, for instance. And of course looking at that list, the criteria of two elite universities isn’t met by even half of them. Incidentally, I see no reason to exclude Research Triangle in NC from the list of tech centers.

But if you want to say top two “Tech Centers” nationwide (I’m going to leave ‘tri-state’ NYC alone), it’s arguably ok to limit it to Bay Area, CA and greater Boston. But the differential distance between UCB and Stanford vs. Harvard/MIT and Brown is only 15 miles; it’s not enough to exclude PVD as part of the mix on that basis. And I would argue that the Bay Area and its spread-out elite universities is a stronger Tech Center than Cambridge itself, even with the two elite universities you mention in very close proximity plus throwing in nearby Tufts, BU, and Brandeis all side by each. No, the center of mass of greater Boston tech has, for perhaps the last half a century, been to the north and west of Boston, in spite of what’s going on at Brown. Universities are a part of the equation but not the dominating term in it. As to the Tech Center of “greater Boston”, it’s not in Cambridge as you might expect (if you put all the weight on the University term of the equation), but along the 128 belt. Clearly there are other factors at play that can’t be dropped from the equation.

There’s history to this, and a great deal of it has to do with military funding during World War II. Indeed technology is more often than not driven by military concerns, a fact which predates our country’s founding by centuries, let alone WWII. Both Hanscom AFB and MIT’s Radiation Laboratory (which evolved into the Research Laboratory of Electronics) got their starts during WWII. The 128 Tech Belt is a result of Hanscom (and later, the adjacent MIT Lincoln Lab).

RI has the Navy in Newport, but those funding dollars have seemingly dried up 40+ years ago and our congressional delegation impotent to reverse that. We’ve got Brown and maybe something happening at URI. What else?

I don’t know that Seattle was just dumb luck, either. There was a culture of tech savvy individuals in aerospace with Boeing, for instance (again, driven by military funding). There’s a bright, engaged populace there. Yes, the engagement of the population with science and engineering and a love of knowledge in general is a factor in the equation too. Are Rhode Islanders tech savvy? Intellectually curious? While Rhode Islanders probably aren’t generally as tech savvy as those in Eastern Mass., they’re not dopes.

Alfie’s right about this: you have to start somewhere. Tech centers rise and fall. There’s little reason to prognosticate that a small place like Ithaca or Hanover won’t be a tech center someday. There’s little reason to think the present Tech Centers will stand forever, and likewise that places which aren’t now tech centers won’t be in the future… Think, for instance, of Detroit and the automobile industry.

Back here in Providence, we shouldn’t be swinging for the fences; we should grow our strengths, look for ways we can partner with our neighbors to our north, and put policies in place that encourage responsible, sustainable, slow growth.

[Other posters have aptly identified the fallacy of the “10 lane” highway that wasn’t built being some sort of magic potion. For instance, induced demand was pretty widely discussed in the context of fast-growing Portland, Oregon’s growth at least 20 years ago. Yes we need to establish synergies with our neighbors to the north but it is not as if Boston is Mars, or even the moon (to reverse the positions). Another highway wouldn’t have made anything better and probably would have made things worse.

And what, exactly, is difficult about getting to Providence Amtrak Station? I go there often, and it is easy to do so.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island