Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:38 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Ten miles from any sort of highway is a stretch. Don't forget that the far northwestern end of Rehoboth is actually not too far from 95--> less than 2 miles. I suppose if you are somewhere in the NE corner of Rehoboth, still far enough away from 495, 95, and 195, you might have a sweet spot, so long as there are leaves on the trees to deaden the hum from 495 and 95, and traffic on 44 is light… yes, in flat rural areas the sound from the highway seems to travel a long way. My experience in 'quiet' rural areas is that unless the highway is a long way away, the noise from a busy interstate carries and is almost more pronounced. Not 10 miles, true… but finding a spot in Rehoboth that's >10 miles from any sort of highway is tough.

Check a map and check back...

Last time I (as a 55 yr. RI native) checked, the only 'highway' going thru Rehoboth is Rt. 44 -- hardly an issue at all. Unless they've widened it to 6 lanes since last year instead of 2. My nephew lives in a pretty subdivision in Rehoboth and loves the country life for the same reason many RI'ers would rather live 'over the state line'. They purposely chose Rehoboth for peace and quiet and a good quality of family life for their 3 children who are thriving in the school system.

The OP might want to ask on a MA forum for unbiased information instead of listening to posters who actually do live on top of the hum of the RI interstates in densely populated neighborhoods, and wish they could live in bucolic Rehoboth. Another bonus is the proximity to Cape Cod.

(A drive from anywhere in RI into Providence on a daily basis from anywhere can be daunting, the traffic and the intertwining of the interstate system is not a pleasant drive at all and auto insurance rates reflect that fact.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 10:52 AM

3,795 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Last time I (as a 55 yr. RI native) checked, the only 'highway' going thru Rehoboth is Rt. 44 -- hardly an issue at all. Unless they've widened it to 6 lanes since last year instead of 2. My nephew lives in a pretty subdivision in Rehoboth and loves the country life for the same reason many RI'ers would rather live 'over the state line'. They purposely chose Rehoboth for peace and quiet and a good quality of family life for their 3 children who are thriving in the school system.

The OP might want to ask on a MA forum for unbiased information instead of listening to posters who actually do live on top of the hum of the RI interstates in densely populated neighborhoods, and wish they could live in bucolic Rehoboth. Another bonus is the proximity to Cape Cod.

What? No. I have no wish or desire to live in Rehoboth. Why are you making this about me? I could have chosen to live in the suburbs or a rural area but chose the city. That's irrelevant. The OP asked about spaces away from highway drone, and I responded that in my estimation Foster/Glocester or Scituate would be quieter than Rehoboth. I said nothing about Providence.

But since you bring it up, yes, I can hear the highway from my house in Providence late at night, even though it is not immediately adjacent to the highway and I would have to drive ~5 min to get to it. And that is with all the background noise a city has to offer.

Highway noise travels farther/is more distinct in a rural area where other sources of background noise are lower, so you need to be farther from the highway in order not to hear it, assuming you are sensitive to such things. I have spent plenty of nights in rural areas and know this first hand.

195 and route 6 both actually slice through the bottom corner of Rehoboth. You might not know this, but noise does not respect city/town lines and crosses them at will.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
What? No. I have no wish or desire to live in Rehoboth. Why are you making this about me? I could have chosen to live in the suburbs or a rural area but chose the city. That's irrelevant. The OP asked about spaces away from highway drone, and I responded that in my estimation Foster/Glocester or Scituate would be quieter than Rehoboth. I said nothing about Providence.

But since you bring it up, yes, I can hear the highway from my house in Providence late at night, even though it is not immediately adjacent to the highway and I would have to drive ~5 min to get to it. And that is with all the background noise a city has to offer.

Highway noise travels farther/is more distinct in a rural area where other sources of background noise are lower, so you need to be farther from the highway in order not to hear it, assuming you are sensitive to such things. I have spent plenty of nights in rural areas and know this first hand.

195 and route 6 both actually slice through the bottom corner of Rehoboth. You might not know this, but noise does not respect city/town lines and crosses them at will.

^^ Are you paranoid or ? I certainly am not making it 'about you', you live in the City of Prov. almost on top of Rt. 95.

My response is merely pointing out the slanted misinformation that you are giving to people who are looking for unbiased relocation advice, who say they prefer a rural area within a 1/2 hr. to Providence. Rehoboth fits the bill on every one of their wants list. Not everyone needs to live w/in the RI borders in order to have easy access to Prov., have good schools, a good quality of life, and have access to several amenities in the general area. Rehoboth is rural without being in the boonies.

Per the OP's original post: " . . . she wants to live somewhere where she can't hear it at all (i.e., not even a dull, quiet sound in the background, but rather absent altogether ). Because Rhode Island has so many different interstates/highways running through it, and because it's a small state, we weren't sure which towns might fit this description but still be within 30 minutes of Providence. Are there such places that also have a good elementary school?"

I'm sure the OP has enough savvy to make an informed decision once they actually take a boots on the ground tour of the areas with a competent Realtor.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:49 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
My friends who live in Rehoboth live pretty close to Rte. 6 and that joke of a mall in Swansea - you can't hear anything at all at their place. Rehoboth is a huge town as far as area.

I found this thread in the Mass. forum which might be helpful, although kids weren't a concern with that poster.

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...rovidence.html

Old 07-23-2016, 06:15 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Ten miles from any sort of highway is a stretch. Don't forget that the far northwestern end of Rehoboth is actually not too far from 95--> less than 2 miles. I suppose if you are somewhere in the NE corner of Rehoboth, still far enough away from 495, 95, and 195, you might have a sweet spot, so long as there are leaves on the trees to deaden the hum from 495 and 95, and traffic on 44 is light… yes, in flat rural areas the sound from the highway seems to travel a long way. My experience in 'quiet' rural areas is that unless the highway is a long way away, the noise from a busy interstate carries and is almost more pronounced. Not 10 miles, true… but finding a spot in Rehoboth that's >10 miles from any sort of highway is tough.

Check a map and check back...
Didn't realize 95 was that close, my error. Certainly doesn't seem it from driving, however. Besides, what are there like one road with 3 or 4 houses in that corner?

But the fact is, is that Rehoboth can get you further from the highway than either Scituate or Foster (the two places you suggested, or just about anywhere else in RI for that matter. Check a map and check back.

And I'll echo the above post as one who has spent late hours in Rehoboth, and never hearing any resemblance of highway rumble.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Didn't realize 95 was that close, my error. Certainly doesn't seem it from driving, however. Besides, what are there like one road with 3 or 4 houses in that corner?

But the fact is, is that Rehoboth can get you further from the highway than either Scituate or Foster (the two places you suggested, or just about anywhere else in RI for that matter. Check a map and check back.

And I'll echo the above post as one who has spent late hours in Rehoboth, and never hearing any resemblance of highway rumble.
Ahh, but I did check a map. Scituate, Foster, Glocester. None of them have a major interstate highway running through them. The interstates are farther away in general than they are in Rehoboth. Route 6 is 4 lane at the eastern edge of Scituate, but if memory serves it's two lane everywhere else. If one lands themselves somewhere near where the towns I mentioned abut, one can get pretty far from the interstates. I disagree that you can get further from the interstates in Rehoboth than in this spot… check that map and check back again.

You might not be as sensitive to highway noise as some others are. To those who are attuned to highway noise, Rehoboth might not be the answer, though it might be ok in parts.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
^^ Are you paranoid or ? I certainly am not making it 'about you', you live in the City of Prov. almost on top of Rt. 95.
No, you're the one who, in response to my post, said:

Quote:
The OP might want to ask on a MA forum for unbiased information instead of listening to posters who actually do live on top of the hum of the RI interstates in densely populated neighborhoods, and wish they could live in bucolic Rehoboth.
Quote:
My response is merely pointing out the slanted misinformation that you are giving to people who are looking for unbiased relocation advice, who say they prefer a rural area within a 1/2 hr. to Providence. Rehoboth fits the bill on every one of their wants list. Not everyone needs to live w/in the RI borders in order to have easy access to Prov., have good schools, a good quality of life, and have access to several amenities in the general area. Rehoboth is rural without being in the boonies.
I did not provide misinformation. Isn't that your responsibility? Or is that just old information?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:45 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Ahh, but I did check a map. Scituate, Foster, Glocester. None of them have a major interstate highway running through them. The interstates are farther away in general than they are in Rehoboth. Route 6 is 4 lane at the eastern edge of Scituate, but if memory serves it's two lane everywhere else. If one lands themselves somewhere near where the towns I mentioned abut, one can get pretty far from the interstates. I disagree that you can get further from the interstates in Rehoboth than in this spot… check that map and check back again.

You might not be as sensitive to highway noise as some others are. To those who are attuned to highway noise, Rehoboth might not be the answer, though it might be ok in parts.
No sir, just because a highway doesn't breech those towns borders doesn't mean (due to their smaller size) those RI towns aren't closer to a highway than many parts of Rehoboth. 295 in the case of Scituate and 395 in the case of Foster (as you can see).

I'm not getting into a p-ing contest with you. To write off Rehoboth (one of the quietest towns near Providence) is ridiculous. Any of those towns would be fine for the OP, really.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
No sir, just because a highway doesn't breech those towns borders doesn't mean (due to their smaller size) those RI towns aren't closer to a highway than many parts of Rehoboth. 295 in the case of Scituate and 395 in the case of Foster (as you can see).
I don't disagree with that. I already said:
Quote:
noise does not respect city/town lines and crosses them at will.
I agree with that logic, I just disagree with the conclusion you've drawn. Looking at a map, to my eye the nexus of the three towns looks to be slightly farther from the interstates than the sweet spot in Rehoboth, but the sweet spot in Rehoboth sits basically right on Rte 44, whereas the sweet spot for the nexus of the three RI towns is some distance away from Rte 6…

Quote:
I'm not getting into a p-ing contest with you. To write off Rehoboth (one of the quietest towns near Providence) is ridiculous. Any of those towns would be fine for the OP, really.

I'm not so sensitive to highway noise that it would bother me unless the highway were in my backyard; it's the OP and spouse looking for the quiet spot without highway noise far, far away from highways. If I'm the OP looking for a vast separation from highway noise I probably would not choose any spot in southern New England, save perhaps for somewhere out in Western Mass. But I still think in the immediate Providence area, Foster/Glocester/Scituate is the best spot. And to my knowledge, these towns are not being ruined by cheesy McMansion Jr. type developments the way Rehoboth is--or is that just at the Seekonk/Rehoboth border?

Old 07-24-2016, 10:46 PM

4,403 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:

My response is merely pointing out the slanted misinformation that you are giving to people who are looking for unbiased relocation advice, who say they prefer a rural area within a 1/2 hr. to Providence

Foster and Scituate fit that bill, so he gave no misinformation. Your attack is quite puzzling.

I would add in Western Coventry, Gloster and much of West Greenwich.

Last edited by sandsonik; 07-24-2016 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island