Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 28,625 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

I've just been offered a new job in East Providence and want to assess the housing situation before accepting. I appreciate that there are already a number of "where should we live in Providence?" threads in this forum, but many of them focus on those looking to buy homes, send their kids to great schools, etc. I'm definitely looking to rent, and have a dog rather than kids, so schools are not really an issue.

Ideally my partner and dog and I would live in a house or flat or duplex (rather than an apartment complex), in an area that is reasonably safe, and where there is a neighborhood center with restaurants and such that we could walk to, a nearby park or two for the dog, and so on.

In terms of budget, that's a toughie - we've been hoping to stay under $1500 month but maybe that's pure fantasy?

I also don't know what commute traffic is like, but would consider a 15-20 minute drive (to and from East Providence) if that opens up the possibilities.

Finally, we're not sure what websites/apps are best for finding comprehensive apartment listings for RI and southwestern MA. Where do people list here?

Any advice anyone could share on any of this would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 14,950,469 times
Are you talking about East Providence or the east side of Providence? if it's the East Side, there are few single family house rentals and most start over $1500.

Try Craigslist or Zillow. A dog will make it harder.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,580,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubarr View Post
Hello all -

I've just been offered a new job in East Providence and want to assess the housing situation before accepting. I appreciate that there are already a number of "where should we live in Providence?" threads in this forum, but many of them focus on those looking to buy homes, send their kids to great schools, etc. I'm definitely looking to rent, and have a dog rather than kids, so schools are not really an issue.

Ideally my partner and dog and I would live in a house or flat or duplex (rather than an apartment complex), in an area that is reasonably safe, and where there is a neighborhood center with restaurants and such that we could walk to, a nearby park or two for the dog, and so on.

In terms of budget, that's a toughie - we've been hoping to stay under $1500 month but maybe that's pure fantasy?

I also don't know what commute traffic is like, but would consider a 15-20 minute drive (to and from East Providence) if that opens up the possibilities.

Finally, we're not sure what websites/apps are best for finding comprehensive apartment listings for RI and southwestern MA. Where do people list here?

Any advice anyone could share on any of this would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

You can try the Providence Journal ads for apartments, daily newspaper for RI: www.projo.com

Also, these sites will give you all newspapers in the USA:

http://www.refdesk.com/paper.html

Newspapers of the USA listed by each State of the Union : US Newspapers : United States Online Newspapers : www.onlinenewspapers.com

Old 08-06-2016, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 28,625 times
Update from Stubarr (posted original query):

Besides the various neighborhoods in Providence itself, we're also up for looking at communities within a 20 minute drive or so of my job in East Providence. So here is the list of neighborhoods and towns I've come up with on my own. I'd appreciate folks' thoughts on which among these are "Yes - good place to live" and which are "No - avoid!" Many thanks.

Providence neighborhoods: Blackstone, College Hill, Federal Hill, Hope/Summit, Mount Hope, Charles, Valley, Wayland, Fox Point, Elmhurst
East Providence neighborhoods: Phillipsdale, Rumford, Leonard Corner, Kent Corner, Riverside
RI: Cranston, Barrington, Johnston, Pawtucket, Lincoln, Hillsgrove, Warren
MA: Swansea, Rehoboth, Seekonk

Old 08-06-2016, 02:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,580,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubarr View Post
Update from Stubarr (posted original query):

Besides the various neighborhoods in Providence itself, we're also up for looking at communities within a 20 minute drive or so of my job in East Providence. So here is the list of neighborhoods and towns I've come up with on my own. I'd appreciate folks' thoughts on which among these are "Yes - good place to live" and which are "No - avoid!" Many thanks.

Providence neighborhoods: Blackstone, College Hill, Federal Hill, Hope/Summit, Mount Hope, Charles, Valley, Wayland, Fox Point, Elmhurst
East Providence neighborhoods: Phillipsdale , Rumford, Leonard Corner?, Kent Corner , Riverside
RI: Cranston, Barrington, Johnston, Pawtucket, Lincoln, Hillsgrove, Warren
MA: Swansea, Rehoboth, Seekonk

OK in Green

Not OK in Red

With caveats that the majority of areas in green are fine, and some small areas of places in red may suit you. You will find a few rundown streets everywhere, but I think you already know that. And, everyone has a different idea of what is 'good' for them in variations of: safety, traffic, crime, shopping, noise, and amenities. RI is a very high tax state, so no matter where you choose, expect a high cost of living.

You can also find some nice areas 20 minutes south of Providence which you didn't mention. East Greenwich, North Kingstown, etc. (I don't know where you got some of the 'names' of the neighborhoods above. Such as "Phillipsdale", which is/was a very small industrialized area in East Prov. Avoid most of those in red. Note that renting a private house, rather than an apt., might cost you extra in utility fees, and you may have to cut the grass, plow the driveway, etc. (In East Providence, near the Barrington line, there is an apartment complex there called "The Landings" -- they are in new ownership now and have 2 BR units; they allow dogs.)

Best wishes.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:07 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,728,376 times
You don't say where you are coming from, but make sure to figure winter heating expenses into your budget...

Renting with a dog is difficult but not impossible.

If you want to keep it to a 15-20 minute drive during rush hour, I would probably eliminate Johnston and Lincoln right out of the gate. There are two bridges to get from East Providence to Providence: Washington Bridge (I-195 aka "the bridge") and "the little red bridge" (Henderson Bridge). To get to Cranston during rush hour from EP in 15-20 minutes is hit or miss, depending on traffic and the start and end points It can be easily done in some cases (say to Pawtuxet Village/Edgewood neighborhoods of Cranston if you are not far from I-195 in EP) but not in others. Even parts of Pawtucket, which neighbors EP, can occasionally be hard to reach in 20 minutes during rush hour if you are in Riverside and have to wind your way through EP to eventually fight Newport Ave traffic.

In Rumford, there's the Rumford Center, at the old Rumford Baking Powder facility, with restaurants, bakery, and a gym, though it is an apartment complex and you said that's not ideal for you. I have no idea if they take dogs. I don't find Rumford super walkable but it is a decent suburban community.

As for the East Side, I think you can probably still find something in your price range in College Hill or Fox Point assuming you've budgeted heat separately. When last I checked Fox Point was still a lot of student grade housing but some housing is decent. I think Mount Hope is seeing an influx of people, and is near all the restaurants and shops of "Hope Village" on Hope Street in Providence. There's also significant student grade housing in Mt. Hope, so you want to be choosy. I know some still think of Mt. Hope negatively but I think the negative pockets are shrinking day by day and it's totally fine near Hope Street. It's pretty walkable and you can probably find something in your price range if you scour the listings.

Federal Hill/northern West End (aka West Broadway/Armory) probably meets your requirements.

If you could land a rental in Warren down near the restaurants of Water Street that's a pretty walkable little spot, and should be within your 15-20 minute drive requirement.

Though I think the post above is generally good, I have a minor quibble with it: East Greenwich is 20ish minutes south of Providence (not EP), and North Kingstown not much further, but add in the commute over the bridge from EP and it's going to make it hard to keep it to 15-20 min. in rush hour. When I drive to East Greenwich from Providence during rush hour it takes me roughly 23 minutes, and that's "without the bridge."

Old 08-07-2016, 04:41 AM

9,329 posts, read 14,950,469 times
If you're actually working in East Providence- then look primarily in East Providence- should be opportunities within your budget.
That will make for no bridges and no commute. You'd be 10 minutes to the East Side.

Not sure about Kent Corner but Kent Heights is a neighborhood in East Providence. Sabin Point has a waterfront park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island