Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 02:57 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,592,693 times

Advertisements

I visited Providence this weekend. I noticed two things right away that I never experience in MA -- guys with sawed off exhaust pipes intentionally rev'ing their cars (wroom, boom, boom) and revelers at the outdoor festival walking around on the streets with drink in hand and didn't witness anyone over the limit. Never have done this in MA. Can't believe what fun I've been missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 07:11 AM

156 posts, read 437,357 times
I love that Providence allows public drinking at most festivals. And I have never seen any nonsense due to it either.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:18 AM

617 posts, read 532,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I visited Providence this weekend. I noticed two things right away that I never experience in MA -- guys with sawed off exhaust pipes intentionally rev'ing their cars (wroom, boom, boom) and revelers at the outdoor festival walking around on the streets with drink in hand and didn't witness anyone over the limit. Never have done this in MA. Can't believe what fun I've been missing.
I guess there are some what less idiots in MA, coupled with somewhat better laws protecting people from drunk morons and environment damage/noise pollution from cut off pipes.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:46 AM

822 posts, read 846,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
I guess there are some what less idiots in MA, coupled with somewhat better laws protecting people from drunk morons and environment damage/noise pollution from cut off pipes.
Actually, there have been no issues with the public drinking at festivals. The sawed-off tailpipes, however, are freaking annoying.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:24 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,157,183 times
Quote:
...guys with sawed off exhaust pipes intentionally rev'ing their cars (wroom, boom, boom)...
I just saw (and heard) that in Mass. about 40 minutes ago.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I just saw (and heard) that in Mass. about 40 minutes ago.
A new national trend?

Old 09-27-2016, 03:19 PM

Oh and a third observation, more Baptist churches in a few square miles than I have seen in any other state

Old 09-27-2016, 04:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,400,880 times
Quote:
Oh and a third observation, more Baptist churches in a few square miles than I have seen in any other state
Where you in a crappy neighborhood?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 AM

536 posts, read 839,744 times
Hi, 495, I was in Providence last weekend, too. I don't think I've been there in 20 years and I really liked it in 2016.

I was staying with a friend recovering from medical issues so we didn't do a lot of walking around, but the people interactions were great. I was staying in an apt building in the eastern part of Providence near Blackstone, and it's an area of wonderfully maintained, fine old houses and streets full of potholes. I love the Providence accent--it's close to the one I heard growing up. Had dinner one night with a number of Providence born folks who all love their city. Nothing not to love about that particular neighborhood, anyway.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 15,322 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Where you in a crappy neighborhood?
Roger Williams was a leader in the Baptist community in colonial America and Providence is home to one of the oldest, if not the oldest, Baptist churches in America. Brown was originally established as a Baptist college, like how Harvard and Yale were for Congregationalists and how Princeton was run by Presbyterians.

Baptist churches in RI are more common out west, i.e. Smithfield, Glocester and South County. There are a good number in Providence.

I'm actually in the middle of writing a paper about how Rhode Island's lack of an official state-church affected real estate development in the 1600s and 1700s. Many people in RI back then were either Quakers or Baptists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: