Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:56 AM

325 posts, read 311,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
So if a Rhode Islander is offered a $150k position with state government, they'll turn it down?

Oh sure, right.
Would YOU board the Titanic for $150K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:48 PM

23,551 posts, read 18,639,939 times
Quote:
So if a Rhode Islander is offered a $150k position with state government, they'll turn it down?

Oh sure, right.
If they already have a private sector job paying $250k, most likely. Any talent that is remaining in RI, is likely already being utilized somewhere else. Much of it has already left the state though.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:09 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,179,023 times
That's a problem with public sector jobs everywhere, not just RI.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:22 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,179,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
Subject for another thread perhaps, but don't any of you wonder why so many Rhode Islanders must flee the state to find employment?
Because we can? The average U.S. commute distance is 15 miles. That puts a good chunk of Rhode Islanders out of state. Even so, 85 percent of Rhode Island residents work in Rhode Island.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
That's a problem with public sector jobs everywhere, not just RI.
Generally yes, making a nationwide search often necessary to fill positions like these (especially if they want properly qualified individuals). RI's small size makes it a greater challenge than a state like MA with 6X the population. RI's brain drain has been more acute as well. At least with someone from MA, they don't have to pay to relocate them across the country.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:39 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,885,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetoid View Post
Would YOU board the Titanic for $150K?
Why ask me when you're the one convinced you're on the Titanic? I'm doing quite well here- thank you.

I am simply responding to the idea that most all new and highly paid jobs should probably go to out of staters.

So far, how has this practice improved our situation? Well, I suppose it's made my house worth more.....

Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 AM

325 posts, read 311,575 times
Quote:
Why ask me when you're the one convinced you're on the Titanic? I'm doing quite well here- thank you.

I am simply responding to the idea that most all new and highly paid jobs should probably go to out of staters.

So far, how has this practice improved our situation? Well, I suppose it's made my house worth more.....
Good morning Miss GollyGee, and thank you for your response. You're mistaken though, I'm convinced that YOU'RE on the Titanic. I'm a dual citizen and when this ship sinks, I'll be watching from a comfortable distance. I can only hope for your sake that you won't be scrambling for a precious lifeboat seat. I'm not certain of your premise, but if you're advocating any preference for Rhode Islanders in positions of state employment or authority, then I must vehemently disagree. Regardless of your position though, let's think about it. Any rational person including myself believes that merit and qualification, not residency, should be the deciding factors. In any state! Now I'll offer my opinion, and as usual, you're free to disagree. The most qualified and desirable candidates will rarely be Rhode Islanders, or more accurately not native Rhode Islanders. Anybody here for that long has undoubtedly been "Rhode Islandized", completely and utterly accepting of failure and mediocrity. Not a day goes by for me without some native zombie rolling their eyes while muttering "only in Rhode Island". Good Lord, there's gotta be something in the water supply! You're numb to your failed government, numb to your failed roads and numb to your failed economy. The Brain Drain is real and guess who's been left behind. If there was ever a state in this great country in dire need of outside influence and expertise, you're living in it. Let's address the point of the OP though who's upset that some fella may or may not be a Rhode Islander. Take a ride through Boston then a ride through Providence and tell me where you want your expertise, influence and leadership to come from.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,925,282 times
Quote:

Oh sure, right.

If they're offered that in government they're probably earning much more in the private sector. $150k isn't all that much in the private sector.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I never said that.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,925,282 times
Quote:

Who said this?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island