Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 05:08 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times

Advertisements

I currently live and work in Boston and was talking to my coworker who lives in New Hampshire and commutes everyday. It sounds like a pain in the butt but when I found out that her mortgage is less than my rent, it got me thinking of commuting. I have visited Providence and really like the town. I actually thought of renting a place in Providence and commuting. I just looked at the house prices on Redfin and was blown away at how cheap they were! I was also surprised at how the rents are really not that low either. Sounds like it would be good to own property there. Just wondering how easy/hard would it to be to rent out/sell out later if I wanted to move? I have only visited once as well so if you could tell me anything about living there it would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 05:38 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
In what neighborhood are you finding cheap house prices? Have you researched neighborhoods?

Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I currently live and work in Boston and was talking to my coworker who lives in New Hampshire and commutes everyday. It sounds like a pain in the butt but when I found out that her mortgage is less than my rent, it got me thinking of commuting. I have visited Providence and really like the town. I actually thought of renting a place in Providence and commuting. I just looked at the house prices on Redfin and was blown away at how cheap they were! I was also surprised at how the rents are really not that low either. Sounds like it would be good to own property there. Just wondering how easy/hard would it to be to rent out/sell out later if I wanted to move? I have only visited once as well so if you could tell me anything about living there it would be great. Thanks!
Everything is relative. Compared to Boston most of PVD is less expensive. By Rhode Island standards the East Side is pricey. However, compared to most of Boston, not so much. There are some terrific neighborhoods for every budget and lifestyle. Here are 3 hoods I'm familiar with, Single family: East Side:$300k - $2m. Armory/West Broadway: $250k - $700k. Elmhurst: $200k - $400k. Roughly subtract $100k for condos. East Side & Armory are hot, hot markets currently. Renting & selling later would depend on the market at that time.

You'll likely find naysayers here and elsewhere, however living in Providence is pretty easy & enjoyable by most accounts. But, the commuters to Boston I know always complain and consider the commute an ordeal.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Everything is relative. Compared to Boston most of PVD is less expensive. By Rhode Island standards the East Side is pricey. However, compared to most of Boston, not so much. There are some terrific neighborhoods for every budget and lifestyle. Here are 3 hoods I'm familiar with, Single family: East Side:$300k - $2m. Armory/West Broadway: $250k - $700k. Elmhurst: $200k - $400k. Roughly subtract $100k for condos. East Side & Armory are hot, hot markets currently. Renting & selling later would depend on the market at that time.

You'll likely find naysayers here and elsewhere, however living in Providence is pretty easy & enjoyable by most accounts. But, the commuters to Boston I know always complain and consider the commute an ordeal.
For the record, my comment is not to be interpreted as a naysayer. As an RE investor in RI, I know that location is all and the various neighborhoods are varied enough to be vastly different. Anyone contemplating moving needs to do a lot of homework and not think that "cheap prices" are necessarily an undiscovered market.

Plenty of Boston commuters already rent here, but as you say, it's not that close. We don't really have high speed yet- both the MBTA and Amtrak are antidiluvian.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:09 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I bought a place earlier this year in the east side of providence (Wayland Square). The same place where I was living in East Somerville would have been at least 3x more.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:22 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
For the record, my comment is not to be interpreted as a naysayer. As an RE investor in RI, I know that location is all and the various neighborhoods are varied enough to be vastly different. Anyone contemplating moving needs to do a lot of homework and not think that "cheap prices" are necessarily an undiscovered market.

Plenty of Boston commuters already rent here, but as you say, it's not that close. We don't really have high speed yet- both the MBTA and Amtrak are antidiluvian.
For the record. Far from being a naysayer, you have always been a PVD (at least the ES) booster. The naysayers, who will likely chime in shortly, are those who have fled RI, and remain relentless critics from afar.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I bought a place earlier this year in the east side of providence (Wayland Square). The same place where I was living in East Somerville would have been at least 3x more.
Are you a commuter or working locally?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Are you a commuter or working locally?

I commute. I was commuting (most of the time) when I was in Somerville as well, and its about the same length of drive.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I commute. I was commuting (most of the time) when I was in Somerville as well, and its about the same length of drive.
You commute to Boston?

Old 06-12-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
You commute to Boston?
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: