Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,122,563 times

Advertisements

Main reason to tax anything is it's a source of revenues, but from a macro perspective it's one way to manage policy.

If a town or city wants to reduce the number of cars on the road to reduce congestion, free up parking spaces, or whatever, one way to do so is to disincentivize people from owning them by taxing ownership.

OP here, where did you come from and where do you live now? Pros and cons since you've lived here? I dislike taxes as much as the next person, but I'm trying not to let the tax tail wag the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 7,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Main reason to tax anything is it's a source of revenues, but from a macro perspective it's one way to manage policy.

If a town or city wants to reduce the number of cars on the road to reduce congestion, free up parking spaces, or whatever, one way to do so is to disincentivize people from owning them by taxing ownership.
This has to be the absolute worst justification I've ever heard for taxing something. I'm not saying you are wrong, or that it doesn't happen, just that it completely blows my mind that there are people who think that this makes sense at all. Given that a car is necessary to all human beings who want to stay alive by working to make money to eat, why would we tax it? Why in the world would we want to make it more difficult to own a car? Just complete stupidity - all it does is inconvenience the less fortunate, who now have to pay yet another tax. And I don't wanna hear that they should take the bus, car pool, or move out. Those are not realistic options for most folks.

The revenue part I get, that's the only reason for this tax.

It amazes me how so many other states can survive without taxing the heck out of its people yet others can't figure it out.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 AM

504 posts, read 384,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinglow View Post
This has to be the absolute worst justification I've ever heard for taxing something. I'm not saying you are wrong, or that it doesn't happen, just that it completely blows my mind that there are people who think that this makes sense at all. Given that a car is necessary to all human beings who want to stay alive by working to make money to eat, why would we tax it? Why in the world would we want to make it more difficult to own a car? Just complete stupidity - all it does is inconvenience the less fortunate, who now have to pay yet another tax. And I don't wanna hear that they should take the bus, car pool, or move out. Those are not realistic options for most folks.

It amazes me how so many other states can survive without taxing the heck out of its people yet others can't figure it out.
CT is even worse........

Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinglow View Post

Funny, I lived and worked and existed for over a decade without a car in several cities, and know more than a few people that do (in Providence).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: