U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM

14 posts, read 40,873 times

Advertisements

I need some more info about Charlestown as a place to live and raise a family. It's BEAUTIFUL and has LOTS to offer and do and we are definitely beach people, and it's close to Westerly and close to where our family lives in CT... BUT... it seems SO expensive... we want to live in a decent house. I work in insurance and my husband's a police officer. I've heard that even if we lived there with high taxes and high cost of living, our salaries would even it out - is this true? I also want to know what people think of the schools and how family-oriented Charlestown is... as well as South Kingstown, because that's our back-up option (in which case, my husband would work in Providence rather than Westerly).

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 PM

7 posts, read 22,412 times
We live on the charlestown side of westerly and charlestown has the lowest taxes in the area, followed by westerly. South Kingtown's home prices are higher than Charlestown. I guess it's what you are looking for. I wouldn't really say that one is better than the other, but South Kingstown does have the shopping compared to Charlestown. What do you consider expensive?

Charlestown is also part of the Chariho School District, they have their own elementary school, and then for middle and hs it's a region school district.

What about Westerly?

Heather

Old 04-08-2008, 10:58 AM

67 posts, read 501,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneConstance View Post
I need some more info about Charlestown as a place to live and raise a family. It's BEAUTIFUL and has LOTS to offer and do and we are definitely beach people, and it's close to Westerly and close to where our family lives in CT... BUT... it seems SO expensive... we want to live in a decent house. I work in insurance and my husband's a police officer. I've heard that even if we lived there with high taxes and high cost of living, our salaries would even it out - is this true? I also want to know what people think of the schools and how family-oriented Charlestown is... as well as South Kingstown, because that's our back-up option (in which case, my husband would work in Providence rather than Westerly).

Thanks!
I lived 4 years in Charlestown and have lived in South Kingstown for the last 12 years. The current property tax rate in C-Town is $7.51 per thousand, and in S.K. it is $11.51 (down from $13 and change due to revaluations). It doesn't sound like much, but the property taxes are a shock in S.K. compared to C-Town.

Here's a link to school info:

Rhode Island Living - Finding your dream home has never been easier! (http://riliving.com/oceanstate/Education/default.asp - broken link)

Google school rankings and you'll find some sites with school info. I can't comment on the schools as I did not have kids in school in either town.

You say you want to live in a "decent" house...housing is more expensive in the coastal towns...you'll find cheaper housing inland. I work with folks that live in Richmond and Hopkinton (just north of Westerly and C-Town) and the housing is less expensive there.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:26 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,144,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneConstance View Post

Thanks!
Being the ex-wife of a police officer, your husband may not be able to choose where he wants to work as a police officer. It is an extremely competive job to get in RI and not one easily acquired even with years of experience. Just thought you may want to know that first before you decide where to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island