Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 PM

39 posts, read 39,438 times

Advertisements

Since I bought my condo last year I've had an incredibly hard time hiring people to do work. Painters, electricians, plumbers etc. I call people they don't call back...They make appointments but not show up...some show up for an estimate but never end up sending the estimate? It's so strange to me. I am still in need of an electrician. Is this problem specific to Newport or is it a Rhode Island thing? I am from New York and people are hungry for the work, this problem does't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 PM

17,720 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd9032 View Post
Since I bought my condo last year I've had an incredibly hard time hiring people to do work. Painters, electricians, plumbers etc. I call people they don't call back...They make appointments but not show up...some show up for an estimate but never end up sending the estimate? It's so strange to me. I am still in need of an electrician. Is this problem specific to Newport or is it a Rhode Island thing? I am from New York and people are hungry for the work, this problem does't exist.
Not specific to Newport. It can be unbelievably difficult in others areas of RI also.

Last edited by redplum33; 04-08-2019 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 05:57 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Get used to it. Rhode Island is not New York. Or Boston.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:03 PM

17,720 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Get used to it. Rhode Island is not New York. Or Boston.
FYI, it's difficult in the Boston area also.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
FYI, it's difficult in the Boston area also.
Difficult yes, but not impossible. As usual, Rhode Island is in a league of it's own. Completely dysfunctional.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:16 PM

3,790 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
I have experienced this in Rhode Island. The reality is that we have a dearth of skilled, reliable contractors who are also available. Skilled, reliable contractors have plenty of work servicing their routine customers. Many of the rest will fish, throwing out a big number to see if you bite.

Call your real estate professional involved in your condo transaction and ask them for their list of reliable contractors. You might have to name drop to get someone to show up.

Another option since you need an electrician is to go to your local electrical supply house and ask the guys at the counter who does quality residential work in your area. They deal with licensed electricians on a daily basis and will know somebody. Don't go to one of the big box stores, go to your local electrical supply house. That's where the professionals go.

Last edited by ormari; 04-08-2019 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 09:04 PM

3,790 posts, read 2,694,775 times
I thought of another tool for use in your search. The RI Department of Labor and Training maintains info about electricians (and some other trades). There are 34 licensed electricians listed in Newport (I'd expand my search to the rest of Aquidneck Island at least).

Check here: https://dltweb.dlt.ri.gov/profregsonline/LicenseSearch

Old 04-09-2019, 04:40 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
You describe a universal problem. But, believe it or not, many contractors in the Newport area will not leave to take work in other parts of the state. When you do find a good tradesperson on Aquidneck Island or Newport county, hold them tight. HomeAdvisor can work if you have the patience.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:52 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Contractors in RI have all the work they want/need. And they don't need or want to travel. I'd only call a licensed electrician if the job is major- if it's minor call a handyman. Have you asked your condo neighbors who they use?

Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Difficult yes, but not impossible. As usual, Rhode Island is in a league of it's own. Completely dysfunctional.

I found it much harder in Massachusetts, personally. Trying to get anything done for my mother is near impossible.

Only trouble we've had in PVD is for more significant plumbing work, replacing casters and putting in some new pipes to get to code with laundry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island