Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 PM

17,679 posts, read 9,164,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We ride the East Bay bike path a couple of times every year from Bristol to the state park on the E Providence line and back. I never really noticed any places to stop & linger along the way. Barrington outside of the bike path doesn't seem to be very bicycle-friendly. What are we missing?
Nothing. Just letting the OP know that a cool bike path goes through there.

Quote:
That and the Ft Adams-Ocean Ave-Bellevue/Salve loop are our two staple Rhode Island bike rides. The Newport loop has always been my favorite bike ride.
Agreed. But since we were discussing RI terminology in another thread, I'll point out that nobody says Ocean Ave. It's Ocean Drive or simply the Drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,870 times
Thank you all for the great info! I used to bypass RI as a possibility because of their tax on SS.

The property Tax Calculator is great - thanks! Very helpful. I am a bit confused though about something. People say that Barrington is "high tax" and that Bristol and Warren offer better value, but from what I can see Barrington, Bristol and Warren are all in Bristol County, so wouldn't they have the same property tax? Or do the towns add additional taxes on top of what this calculator shows?

I did not realize that Rhode Island Hospital was owned by Partners Health Care. It's reassuring to know also that USNews rated RI highly as a state for health care. That's important to us.

Is RI a "green" state - i.e., other than Whole Foods and Trader Joes is there availability - at farmers markets and otherwise - is there organic food available? Are there CSA? I know Providence is a foodie city. Do any of the restaurants focus on farm-to-table type menus/food? Are there natural pet stores in the area that carry natural pet food, etc.? I know about the wind turbines, so it would seem RI is progressive in this way.

Unrelated, but is Wickford part of North Kingstown? Is it a village like Pawtuxet Village?

Thanks again for all of the great info!

Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
The property Tax Calculator is great - thanks! Very helpful. I am a bit confused though about something. People say that Barrington is "high tax" and that Bristol and Warren offer better value, but from what I can see Barrington, Bristol and Warren are all in Bristol County, so wouldn't they have the same property tax? Or do the towns add additional taxes on top of what this calculator shows?!

No you pay taxes to your town. There is no county government in RI.

Quote:
Is RI a "green" state - i.e., other than Whole Foods and Trader Joes is there availability - at farmers markets and otherwise - is there organic food available? Are there CSA? I know Providence is a foodie city. Do any of the restaurants focus on farm-to-table type menus/food? Are there natural pet stores in the area that carry natural pet food, etc.? I know about the wind turbines, so it would seem RI is progressive in this way.

A good selection of farmers markets in the summertime.

Quote:
Unrelated, but is Wickford part of North Kingstown? Is it a village like Pawtuxet Village?
You are exactly correct!

Old 05-23-2019, 07:20 PM

17,679 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
The property Tax Calculator is great - thanks! Very helpful. I am a bit confused though about something. People say that Barrington is "high tax" and that Bristol and Warren offer better value, but from what I can see Barrington, Bristol and Warren are all in Bristol County, so wouldn't they have the same property tax? Or do the towns add additional taxes on top of what this calculator shows?
Sorry about that, OP. Ignore the property tax calculator I posted earlier. The following link has the correct rates for each town in RI:

http://www.municipalfinance.ri.gov/d...1-17-FINAL.pdf

Rates are per thousand. So, a 350k house in....

Barrington ($19.50) is $6,825

Bristol ($15.38) is $5,383

Warren ($18.86) is $6,601

Car taxes are quite a bit higher in Barrington at $42.00 per thousand. Bristol is $17.35, and Warren is $26.00.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that property taxes were lower in Barrington than in Cumberland, Smithfield, and Lincoln. That was based on that calculator website and is incorrect. (Sorry, QC.) They are only higher in Lincoln.

A 350k house in....

Cumberland ($15.42) is $5,397

Smithfield ($17.56) is $6,146

Lincoln ($22.35) is $7,822

Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,529 times
Regarding RI being “ green”
Plenty of farmers markets all over RI, outdoors in the summer, indoors in winter.
CSA- checkmark
A lot of environmental non-profits- organizing beaches clean up, etc.
A lot of towns had banned plastic grocery bags use.
A big deal is that RI has a public waterfront access to anyone- nobody can own access to the ocean/bay privately- so even a private property is ocean facing- public has a right of access-which is enforced.
The best place to buy a boat- RI does not have a sale tax on boats!boats are exempt!
RI communities are trying to protect land from development- so called land trusts- they purchase the developmental rights from farmers to keep the land in agriculture.
Some people donate land to trusts outright.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:08 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,688,251 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the great info! I used to bypass RI as a possibility because of their tax on SS.

I did not realize that Rhode Island Hospital was owned by Partners Health Care. It's reassuring to know also that USNews rated RI highly as a state for health care. That's important to us.

Thanks again for all of the great info!
Wickford is one of the villages located in the town of North Kingstown. That Wickford & Pawtuxet Village are both "villages" is about it for similarity. Otherwise they are somewhat different. Wickford being larger with more shops and restaurants - more of a visitor destination. Pawtuxet Village is smaller, but denser & more residential. Both are on the water with Wickford probably being more expansive, having more boating & recreational activity.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Wickford is one of the villages located in the town of North Kingstown. That Wickford & Pawtuxet Village are both "villages" is about it for similarity. Otherwise they are somewhat different. Wickford being larger with more shops and restaurants - more of a visitor destination. Pawtuxet Village is smaller, but denser & more residential. Both are on the water with Wickford probably being more expansive, having more boating & recreational activity.

You spelled "expensive" wrong.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:

Generally, all of New England has no or minimal county government. There are county-administered public services but the funding either comes from the state or it's a mix of state and assessing the towns in the county. Towns are their own fiefdoms. A "fancy" town tends to use zoning to enforce minimum lot sizes and restrict multi-family housing to keep the unwashed masses out. It tends to be a very socioeconomically segregated place where white collar professionals cluster together. Those towns tend to fight public housing to the death unless it's senior housing where there aren't children in the public school system.

In a typical town, well more than half the town budget funds the public school system. Generally, towns with a lot of vacation homes, commercial real estate, and affluent people tend to have lower property tax rates than towns without those. Vacation homes pay big taxes and don't put children in the public school system. Ditto commercial real estate. Affluent people tend to have lower birth rates and live in more expensive housing.

This isn't just Rhode Island. It's all of New England expect for Vermont which adopted a state school property tax ~15 years ago so everybody pays the same school portion of property taxes (and it's means tested). When you're picking a town, you need to pay careful attention to the property tax rate since it varies so much from town to town.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:02 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Generally, all of New England has no or minimal county government. There are county-administered public services but the funding either comes from the state or it's a mix of state and assessing the towns in the county. Towns are their own fiefdoms. A "fancy" town tends to use zoning to enforce minimum lot sizes and restrict multi-family housing to keep the unwashed masses out. It tends to be a very socioeconomically segregated place where white collar professionals cluster together. Those towns tend to fight public housing to the death unless it's senior housing where there aren't children in the public school system.

In a typical town, well more than half the town budget funds the public school system. Generally, towns with a lot of vacation homes, commercial real estate, and affluent people tend to have lower property tax rates than towns without those. Vacation homes pay big taxes and don't put children in the public school system. Ditto commercial real estate. Affluent people tend to have lower birth rates and live in more expensive housing.

This isn't just Rhode Island. It's all of New England expect for Vermont which adopted a state school property tax ~15 years ago so everybody pays the same school portion of property taxes (and it's means tested). When you're picking a town, you need to pay careful attention to the property tax rate since it varies so much from town to town.
But I believe RI is the only state where there county government has completely ceased to exist.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:03 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,688,251 times
Quote:
You spelled "expensive" wrong.
"Expansive": Wickford is a larger village. But, probably, in some parts more expensive too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island