Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 10:57 AM

8,493 posts, read 4,550,068 times

Advertisements

The OP would be advised to take some of the detractors with a grain of salt. One does not even live in the state but is constantly here to denigrate it. Has a very anti RI obsession that borders on a sickness. Keep this in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 11:16 AM

8,056 posts, read 4,681,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Oh please, it was clear as day.

"I think this is in large part due progressive policies that have made a lot of folks not feel welcome in their own state anymore."
Of course it was a racist reference. Who wouldn't feel welcome in "their" own state anymore? Descendants of the original Native Americans? Probably not.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:19 AM

4,252 posts, read 1,663,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Of course it was a racist reference. Who wouldn't feel welcome in "their" own state anymore? Descendants of the original Native Americans? Probably not.
Taxpayers?

Old 12-25-2019, 10:12 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornaboutri View Post
I recently received a really great job offer in Rhode Island. I'll be moving with my spouse from a large city on the west coast. This is a fairly permanent position, so it'd be a long-term move. At first I was really excited about the opportunity--it's the east coast and close to Boston, so I figured it'd be a great spot. Unfortunately, everything I read about Rhode Island in these "moving to Rhode Island" posts or Youtube videos paint it as a really depressing place to live--it's small, corrupt, the schools are bad, there's nothing to do, no jobs, the only people that live there were born there, etc. I guess that brings me to my first question... is it really that bad?

With that aside, we're definitely city people. I assume that means we want to live in Providence? It's really important to us that our house is within walking distance of good restaurants, coffee shops, local shops, etc. Does anyone have advice on neighborhoods with those amenities (in Providence or elsewhere)? It seems like the commercial areas around Brown are very college-y, which maybe isn't super interesting. Downtown looks somewhat barren by Google street view

Alternatively, are there other areas we should be looking at? Looking at Redfin, we can afford to purchase basically everywhere in Rhode Island, but I assume non-Providence areas are more suburban, which isn't too interesting to us. Are there communities in MA that are somewhat close that are interesting? Or are they suburbs too?

I guess lastly, if we purchased a place in Back Bay in Boston and I commute to Rhode Island (work is south of Providence), would I hate my life? Is that even doable? It seems like the train from Back Bay to Providence is an hour, but I'd probably have another 25 minute drive once I arrive in Providence.

It's a part of the country I really don't know much about other than Boston and NYC, so any help would be appreciated.
If I were you, I'd look for a house on the East Side of Providence (generally east of Hope St. in the Blackstone neighborhood). You'll need a good budget 600- 2million but you can get a gorgeous house in a great community that is near cultural attractions, restaurants, shopping, libraries, museums, etc. Everyone I know who lives in this area loves it. It's full of professionals and families. I strongly recommend you visit this area and make up your own mind.

Don't even think about commuting. There are plenty of lovey places to live in this area.

This forum has become ridiculously negative and no longer represents people who love it here. Anyone who dares to post a positive comment gets jumped on mostly by out of staters (ironically from Boston and we do get an influx of them moving here) Believe me, there are many who find RI very desirable!!

Old 12-25-2019, 12:53 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The OP would be advised to take some of the detractors with a grain of salt. One does not even live in the state but is constantly here to denigrate it. Has a very anti RI obsession that borders on a sickness. Keep this in mind.
None of the negative ones live in the state. Most never have.

Old 12-25-2019, 01:36 PM

I think the OP has already made the smart decision. 41st in public schools? With MA, CT, VT, and NH all in the top 10? With the highest poverty rate in New England? With the 6th highest tax burden in the country? Folks, it was never really a tough call.

Old 12-25-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If I were you, I'd look for a house on the East Side of Providence (generally east of Hope St. in the Blackstone neighborhood). You'll need a good budget 600- 2million but you can get a gorgeous house in a great community that is near cultural attractions, restaurants, shopping, libraries, museums, etc. Everyone I know who lives in this area loves it. It's full of professionals and families. I strongly recommend you visit this area and make up your own mind.

Don't even think about commuting. There are plenty of lovey places to live in this area.

This forum has become ridiculously negative and no longer represents people who love it here. Anyone who dares to post a positive comment gets jumped on mostly by out of staters (ironically from Boston and we do get an influx of them moving here) Believe me, there are many who find RI very desirable!!
Don't you think this forum might be more representative of "people who love it" there if there were more than 8 of you. It's never a good sign for a place to have more detractors than supporters. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
None of the negative ones live in the state. Most never have.
How many of you post in the forums of states other than the one in which you live?

Old 12-25-2019, 02:33 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
People from out-of-state come here looking for accurate information.

PureBoston's posts, while usually factually correct, are misleading in that they give an overall wrong impression of the state.

Hollytree's posts are equally (if not more) misleading in that she goes out of her way to try to hide/bury anything negative.

Bottom line: It's not all doom and gloom as PureBoston portrays it, and it's not all sunshine and lollipops as Hollytree would like you to believe. There are problems here...but, in my opinion, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Rhode Island, generally speaking, is a very nice place to live if you can find employment (and you stay away from the Providence ghettos).

Old 12-25-2019, 04:02 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
People from out-of-state come here looking for accurate information.

PureBoston's posts, while usually factually correct, are misleading in that they give an overall wrong impression of the state.

Hollytree's posts are equally (if not more) misleading in that she goes out of her way to try to hide/bury anything negative.

Bottom line: It's not all doom and gloom as PureBoston portrays it, and it's not all sunshine and lollipops as Hollytree would like you to believe. There are problems here...but, in my opinion, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Rhode Island, generally speaking, is a very nice place to live if you can find employment (and you stay away from the Providence ghettos).
I am answering the OP. He has a job offer and is looking for a nice neighborhood. I am recommending what I think would work for him. I have 30+ years in this state at various locations.

Anyone who has followed my posts knows that I don't go out of my way to "bury anything negative". Utter baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island