Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 PM

40 posts, read 259,770 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single 22 year old will be graduating from college in August 2007. I am planning on moving to a new city by myself. I figure this would be the time to do it! I was thinking about Providence. How is the nightlife scene? I dont really want to be hanging out with the drunk college crowd anymore, but I would like to be around "young professionals" looking to have a good time. How do you guys think I would fit in here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 04:48 PM

439 posts, read 721,776 times
Providence was rated as the top city to live in the northeast a few years ago by Money Magazine. The city has Brown University in the Federal hill area, the Rhode Island School of Design, Providence College and Johnson and Wales University- so there is a 'young feeling' to the city.

The downtown has been completely transformed, with the river walk, Providence Place and other venues under construction adding to the cities amenities.

There are many great clubs and bars (not all inhabited by college kids) Eating out is fantastic- many excellent restaurants, especially Italian.
Of course there is much history and culture in this very old city founded by Roger Williams in 1636.

Some young professionals and others have moved to the Providence area because of lower housing costs compared to Boston and now commute.

Providence is close to Boston-less then hour, and is less then hour to Newport. The state beaches are wonderful, with Watch Hill and Misquamicutt state beach on the Atlantic. Cape Cod and the Islands are just to the east.

Costs are high for housing-although currently prices are dropping. Energy costs throughout all of New England are costly. Taxes for real estate are high.

Crime in Providence is about average, but compared to other cities nationally is low.

The job market is nothing to rave about- so make sure you have a job lined up or are in a desired profession- the city has a large finance services industry.

I travel to Providence on a regular basis and always enjoys what it offers.

The climate in Providence is moderate- mild in the winter due to the proximity of Narragansett Bay and the Atlantic-compared to inland locations in New England. Summers are refreshed by breezes off the same two bodies of water. Snowfall averages about 30" a year.
Do visit first- spend a week- and enjoy the tiny state of RI.

Last edited by Dragondog; 12-22-2006 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-26-2006, 08:04 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
CelticLion really outlined Providence wonderfully. I lived in the City for about 5 or 6 years, and can attest to its friendliness to a young culture.

I will caution you that jobs are somewhat scarce. For two of the years I lived in RI, I commuted to Boston, and that wasn't always easy. Pick up a copy of the Providence Journal and check out some of the job listings.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info and advice! It sounds perfect for me, I think Boston or New York would be too crowded and crazy. I will definitely start looking for a job soon so I can have one set up when I move there. I am planning a trip to Providence at the end of April to visit and explore the city. I was thinking of looking at apartments as well. Any areas you would recommend for a young adult like myself? I dont necessarily want to be living around a bunch of college kids (like I do now) since I will have to be waking up early and all for a job lol. Its pretty crazy here in Tallahassee, totally a college town where there are people yelling and getting drunk every night. It was fun at first but Im ready for something a little less crazy after I graduate! (not sure if it is like this in Providence?) But I would like an apartment complex to have a some people my age. Any suggestions? I would also like to be within 15 minutes or so of downtown, Providence Place, etc.... Thanks again!!

Old 12-26-2006, 05:08 PM

439 posts, read 721,776 times
Within 15 minutes of downtown there are many places to consider; Among the towns are North Providence, Cranston, Johnston and Warwick.
East Providence and Pawtucket are grittier. The 'Down City Diner' is really good downtown- Also 'Adesso' 'Alforno Restaurant' -rated as one of the best restaurants in the USA- also 'CAPRICCIO' and 'HEMENWAY’S

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2006, 05:10 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Here's a map of the Providence neighbourhoods

http://www.providenceri.com/Neighbor...hoodMap_c.html

The only apartments (as in apartment houses) are probably in College Hill and that would be more like living at Brown University at its south end. College Hill farther out is more posh. You might try Fox Point near the Hill, kind of young and hip; Olneyville or Federal Hill might work. Olneyville is being gentrified and Federal Hill was the Italian district but more diverse with some apartment houses, and great, great food and a couple of cafes with wonderful coffee and pastry.

Good luck! And enjoy!

Old 12-30-2006, 11:40 PM

15 posts, read 23,589 times
Hi. I was born in Providence and grew up in a few different areas of Rhode Island. I was looking into the whole city life too. That's why I came out here to Las Vegas! You should move to Las Vegas if you are looking for the city life and great employment opportunities. We are the entertainment capitol of the world and we have plenty of economic growth here. The city life here is just one side of the coin. The other side is that there are many professionals including myself earning a great living because of the growth here. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about Las Vegas. Rhode Island is fun, but it is quiet compared to Las Vegas. We have such a wide variety of professions here too.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 10,952 times
Default Not Providence

To the single graduating from college, Providence is not the place to go after college, I moved up here from Virginia to go to college here. I'm a junior in college and i hate it, i'm transfering to University of Florida because Rhode Island sucks big time. Too cold, nothing to do, you'll live miserably here. Nightlife here in Providence is boring, clubs sucks, bars are Okay, if you want a place to move, Florida is the place to go.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM

haha thats funny. I go to Florida State University here in Tallahassee and I hate it here...Ive been to Gainesville (only 2 hours from here), its pretty much the same thing. Its a total college town with college students everywhere you look. Its fun for a while but gets old, there are only so many places to go. Both Gainesville and Tally are small cities with not much to do. I would never want to live in either city after I graduate from college. I was born and grew up in West Palm Beach and went to Miami all the time. Ive lived in Florida my whole life and Im ready for something new...

Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 AM

16 posts, read 83,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Within 15 minutes of downtown there are many places to consider; Among the towns are North Providence, Cranston, Johnston and Warwick.
East Providence and Pawtucket are grittier. The 'Down City Diner' is really good downtown- Also 'Adesso' 'Alforno Restaurant' -rated as one of the best restaurants in the USA- also 'CAPRICCIO' and 'HEMENWAY’S

Good luck!
If you want to be near the mall and in Providence...live IN Providence, and not a surrounding town. Pawtucket is gritty but East Providence is a very nice place but again live in the city. It is short of high risers but there is a building called 'The Foundry' rent is cheap a 1 bedroom will cost you around 1500 with parking included and you are the building behind the mall, cannot get closer until the Westin s done building its million dollar condos. The restauraunts are great but pricey. I had lived in Providence so if you have any questions send me a PM.

PS - The place like the foundry is teaming with young professionals and medical students who attend Brown University, you will not hear much yelling or drunk people, unless they are at your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island