Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,583 times

Advertisements

make your own conclusions. It also includes yearly population

Rhode Island Crime Rates 1960 - 2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 06:03 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,148,339 times
My conclusion is that what's going on in the present is completely unacceptable. Pointing out that more violent crimes were reported in 1981 or 1991 doesn't make it any more acceptable. I actually feel it is a reprehensible way of minimizing a serious problem.

On Thursday afternoon, a Providence school bus carrying elementary school kids was driving down Alverson Ave in the Hartford neighborhood. When the school bus stopped at the intersection of Alverson Ave and Hartford Ave, dozens of elementary school children witnessed a man in a red car sticking his hand out of his car window and spraying bullets into the air.

Parents concerned after shots were fired in front of school bus

NBC 10 News spoke to the parent of a 5-year-old girl who was on the bus at the time the shots were fired.

“My daughter got off the bus, she said she heard three gunshots and then had to get on the floor,” said the woman, who didn’t want to be identified. "She was shaking, she grabbed me and was like, 'Mommy are you ok? Are you ok?' I was kind of confused about why she asked if I was because she said she heard three gunshots."

"She should be getting off the bus and be excited like, 'Oh mommy I did this in school,' or, 'Mommy look what I made.' Not, 'Mommy I heard three gunshots go off and was told to get on the floor'," added the woman. "That’s just unreal."

mr2448, maybe you should go to Carnevale Elementary School in Providence and tell all of the 5 and 6 year old kids (who are having nightmares and are now terrified to ride the bus) that it's not a big deal because you have a crime stat chart that shows crime was worse 20 or 30 years before they were born.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:53 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
My conclusion is that what's going on in the present is completely unacceptable. Pointing out that more violent crimes were reported in 1981 or 1991 doesn't make it any more acceptable. I actually feel it is a reprehensible way of minimizing a serious problem.

What's also unacceptable is the vast majority of serious crime is concentrated in the usual small pockets of RI ie. Providence, Pawtucket, Central Falls, etc. Out of sight, out of mind for the vast majority. Same ole, nothing new here to see folks.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

On Thursday afternoon, a Providence school bus carrying elementary school kids was driving down Alverson Ave in the Hartford neighborhood. When the school bus stopped at the intersection of Alverson Ave and Hartford Ave, dozens of elementary school children witnessed a man in a red car sticking his hand out of his car window and spraying bullets into the air.

Parents concerned after shots were fired in front of school bus

NBC 10 News spoke to the parent of a 5-year-old girl who was on the bus at the time the shots were fired.

“My daughter got off the bus, she said she heard three gunshots and then had to get on the floor,” said the woman, who didn’t want to be identified. "She was shaking, she grabbed me and was like, 'Mommy are you ok? Are you ok?' I was kind of confused about why she asked if I was because she said she heard three gunshots."

"She should be getting off the bus and be excited like, 'Oh mommy I did this in school,' or, 'Mommy look what I made.' Not, 'Mommy I heard three gunshots go off and was told to get on the floor'," added the woman. "That’s just unreal."

mr2448, maybe you should go to Carnevale Elementary School in Providence and tell all of the 5 and 6 year old kids (who are having nightmares and are now terrified to ride the bus) that it's not a big deal because you have a crime stat chart that shows crime was worse 20 or 30 years before they were born.
like I said, make your own conclusions. I went to a respectable elementary school in Providence some 60 years ago and an 11 year old shot an 8 year old. Some 3 years later in Jr. High two kids were killed with a hand gun. I gave you information and yes it is reprehensible what happened on Alverson Street. But once again this is not just a Providence or Rhode Island thing as you continue to point these crimes out on this site. It happens everywhere and it is a society deficiency and our state and capital city is no different.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:08 AM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
like I said, make your own conclusions. I went to a respectable elementary school in Providence some 60 years ago and an 11 year old shot an 8 year old. Some 3 years later in Jr. High two kids were killed with a hand gun. I gave you information and yes it is reprehensible what happened on Alverson Street. But once again this is not just a Providence or Rhode Island thing as you continue to point these crimes out on this site. It happens everywhere and it is a society deficiency and our state and capital city is no different.

With due respect (and forgive me if I'm misinterpreting it), only thing the data shows is that RI has tracked national crime trends. If one thing is perhaps unique about RI, it's that crime tends to be more localized than many other places. That of course, is not relevant to the figures you linked.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
With due respect (and forgive me if I'm misinterpreting it), only thing the data shows is that RI has tracked national crime trends. If one thing is perhaps unique about RI, it's that crime tends to be more localized than many other places. That of course, is not relevant to the figures you linked.
no, this is from a national site in which I just extracted Rhode Island data. All the other states are posted also.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:45 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Who said it was just a Providence or RI thing? What's your point?

It sounds like you don't like my posts. That's ok. Feel free to skip over them.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:26 AM

8,056 posts, read 4,681,194 times
Quote:
Well said. Context is everything. Crime in Rhode Island reflects urban problems nationwide. Absolutely nothing is happening in Providence/Pawtucket/Central Falls that isn't happening across the urban America to one degree or another. The solution, if there is one, is not just a Rhode Island solution, but an American solution.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:06 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Well said. Context is everything. Crime in Rhode Island reflects urban problems nationwide. Absolutely nothing is happening in Providence/Pawtucket/Central Falls that isn't happening across the urban America to one degree or another. The solution, if there is one, is not just a Rhode Island solution, but an American solution.

Could things be better? Sure. Are they way better than they were? Of course. Could we make them much better? Yes, but there isn't the political will from society to do so; and much of that is due to the romantic American ethos fallacies that are so ingrained into our society (pull yourself up by your bootstraps! the only one holding you back is you! this is the land of opportunity, if you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere! addiction/disease/etc are moral issues! blah blah puke)

That said, anyone with two peas to rub together in their noggin knows not to use anecdotal evidence or reports of singular events to show that there is a problem. Wherever you find humans you will find some problems. More humans = more problems, that is a far cry from saying that a place is problematic.

Last edited by timberline742; 01-06-2020 at 05:33 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 06:03 AM

8,056 posts, read 4,681,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Could things be better? Sure. Are they way better than they were? Of course. Could we make them much better? Yes, but there isn't the political will from society to do so; and much of that is due to the romantic American ethos fallacies that are so ingrained into our society (pull yourself up by your bootstraps! the only one holding you back is you! this is the land of opportunity, if you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere! addiction/disease/etc are moral issues! blah blah puke)
That said, anyone with two peas to rub together in their noggin knows not to use anecdotal evidence or reports of singular events to show that there is a problem. Common sense is apparently in very short supply in these parts.
It's wrong that there is no Privilege here. Wrong that, in America, at birth we all started at the same opportunity point in life. Wrong that those who fall into crime, drugs & addiction, even poverty are somehow lesser by nature. Wrong they had the same chances in life the rest of us had.....only they blew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island