Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 10:08 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Easy walk. I live near the small one and have friends near the other one, no reason to lyft it.
No reason to, because why would you lyft (or walk) 2 miles if you have a store right there?

Old 01-26-2020, 11:36 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Easy walk. I live near the small one and have friends near the other one, no reason to lyft it.
How is this even remotely relevant? This discussion is about whether or not it's a good idea for a grocery store to move into a location that is very close to another grocery store.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:03 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I would guess Trader Joe’s at Fox Point and Dave’s at the former Benny’s. Everyone in my neighborhood wants a grocery store in the former Rite Aid on East Avenue and/or Job Lot on Pawtucket Avenue.

That would seem to make sense. There is no way a larger type supermarket such as the typical Dave's would be allowed anywhere near the 195 land or in a densely built residential neighborhood like Fox Point. It would occupy a pretty big space and also require a good sized parking lot. Dave's, unlike Trader Joe's, also does not have an urban location experience and expertise.

As for that part of Pawtucket, an Aldi's might be a good fit.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:35 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
That would seem to make sense. There is no way a larger type supermarket such as the typical Dave's would be allowed anywhere near the 195 land or in a densely built residential neighborhood like Fox Point. It would occupy a pretty big space and also require a good sized parking lot. Dave's, unlike Trader Joe's, also does not have an urban location experience and expertise.

As for that part of Pawtucket, an Aldi's might be a good fit.
Aldi's would be a good fit at the former Job Lot site on Pawtucket Ave. Also along North Main Street, with frequent bus service, where the Rite Aid or Benny's Tire store was. Of course if there is enough parking available. It would offer a more affordable choice for food.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Aldi's would be a good fit at the former Job Lot site on Pawtucket Ave. Also along North Main Street, with frequent bus service, where the Rite Aid or Benny's Tire store was. Of course if there is enough parking available. It would offer a more affordable choice for food.
I think it’s interesting that Aldi and Trader Joe’s are the same German family. In Germany, the Aldi grocery store chain was split in half as Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud between two brothers. Theo Albrecht bought Trader Joe’s in 1979. Karl Albrecht did the US Aldi chain.

Aldi is a great place to buy staples. It follows the German trend where food doesn’t have chemicals and preservatives in it. I regularly shop a half dozen stores between an Asian green grocer, Indian grocer, fish market, butcher, Market Basket, and even a few things at Walmart. I have access to Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods but don’t use them much. I don’t do much convenience food.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think it’s interesting that Aldi and Trader Joe’s are the same German family. In Germany, the Aldi grocery store chain was split in half as Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud between two brothers. Theo Albrecht bought Trader Joe’s in 1979. Karl Albrecht did the US Aldi chain.

Aldi is a great place to buy staples. It follows the German trend where food doesn’t have chemicals and preservatives in it. I regularly shop a half dozen stores between an Asian green grocer, Indian grocer, fish market, butcher, Market Basket, and even a few things at Walmart. I have access to Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods but don’t use them much. I don’t do much convenience food.
Don't Aldi and Trader Joe's kind of run off the same model, store footprint, etc.? Personally neither do much for me, every time I may have picked up an item or two but all in all left pretty empty handed. I can see their appeal though, especially for those who have time to shop around.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:07 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Don't Aldi and Trader Joe's kind of run off the same model, store footprint, etc.? Personally neither do much for me, every time I may have picked up an item or two but all in all left pretty empty handed. I can see their appeal though, especially for those who have time to shop around.
I’m still learning Aldi. The first time I walked in one, I walked out not buying anything. I gave it another shot about 6 months ago and it’s now a regular part of my shopping loop.

For example, a quart of half & half in West Hartford is $1.55. Most other Aldis I’ve been in, it’s $1.95 but that’s still cheaper than Market Basket or Walmart. I eat 30 minute steel cut oatmeal quite a bit. $2.99 at Aldi. I buy their asparagus and blueberries frequently. Sugar. Eggs. Peanuts. Tomato paste. Their chocolate is all German or Austrian and higher quality than grocery store ‘Murican chocolate. When I’m in Connecticut or Vermont with no Market Basket, it’s the only place you don’t get raped and pillaged with food prices. I imagine that in another couple of years as I’ve tried things there, I’ll have a much higher percentage of my food spending there. It’s limited selection so you still need a full service grocery store but the quality and value for what they have is very good. It seems to have the European philosophy about food. No chemicals. Most things aren’t highly processed.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I’m still learning Aldi. The first time I walked in one, I walked out not buying anything. I gave it another shot about 6 months ago and it’s now a regular part of my shopping loop.

For example, a quart of half & half in West Hartford is $1.55. Most other Aldis I’ve been in, it’s $1.95 but that’s still cheaper than Market Basket or Walmart. I eat 30 minute steel cut oatmeal quite a bit. $2.99 at Aldi. I buy their asparagus and blueberries frequently. Sugar. Eggs. Peanuts. Tomato paste. Their chocolate is all German or Austrian and higher quality than grocery store ‘Murican chocolate. When I’m in Connecticut or Vermont with no Market Basket, it’s the only place you don’t get raped and pillaged with food prices. I imagine that in another couple of years as I’ve tried things there, I’ll have a much higher percentage of my food spending there. It’s limited selection so you still need a full service grocery store but the quality and value for what they have is very good. It seems to have the European philosophy about food. No chemicals. Most things aren’t highly processed.

You see, I haven't bought half & half in years...only buy GF oats, which last I checked Aldi didn't have...sugar I only buy once or twice a year and that's dirt cheap anywhere...I get my 4 lb bags of wild blueberries at BJ's for under $10 which I doubt you could beat there...don't buy chocolate...rarely buy asparagus out of season...eggs not too frequent either...I have bought nuts and canned tomatoes there (and those do seem to be good quality). Stores change a little over time, my buying habits change a little over time, I'm sure I will try them again at some point.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:05 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:

The Dayville (Killingly) Aldi regularly charges $1.35 for H & H, milk goes for as little as 92 cents a quart and $1.45 a gallon (any type) and large eggs can go as little as 49 cents a dozen. Prices in the Johnston Aldi are usually 50-100% higher for these items.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
The Dayville (Killingly) Aldi regularly charges $1.35 for H & H, milk goes for as little as 92 cents a quart and $1.45 a gallon (any type) and large eggs can go as little as 49 cents a dozen. Prices in the Johnston Aldi are usually 50-100% higher for these items.
All Johnston really has for competition is S&S right? Less pressure on Aldi to keep the prices down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island