Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 05:06 PM

17,088 posts, read 8,755,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Making assumptions is not reasonable.
I disagree, but thank you for your opinion.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:02 PM

4,182 posts, read 1,595,952 times
Quote:
Making assumptions is not reasonable.
Assumptions like "ACAB"?

Old 03-14-2021, 07:00 AM

7,901 posts, read 4,558,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Assumptions like "ACAB"?
Thank you Google. Had to look that one up. Who says that???

Old 03-14-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Professional?? Here's my experience when I was broken into.

The cop that arrived acted really put out that he had to write a report. He kept saying 'maybe you have a cousin or a nephew who's got a drug problem and he broke in? You sure you don't want to just deal with this yourselves?'

Acted very skeptical when we assured him that we did not.

I mentioned how I'd been broken into years before in Boston but we had recovered a lot of items because the pawnshops were required to send logs to the police dept.

He said 'oh, I don't know nothing bout that' when I asked if PVDPD did the same.

He found a finger print on the window the thief got in through and said he'd call in the fingerprint unit to come and dust the house.

We waited. And waited. And waited. We couldn't go to bed because the thief had moved lots of stuff onto our bed, and we were told they'd dust that.

Finally get an answer around 1 in the morning, 7 hours later, that oh, the guy was really busy that night and wouldn't make it. We explained how we couldn't go to bed because of the items on the bed and they said '...oh. Just move it.'

The guy came the next day and then said - my right hand to God - 'oh I forgot my kit'.

Doesn't come back until the next day, when he complains that it's rained in between, as if that's my fault! Says the print is useless. Doesn't bother dusting anywhere else.

We never, ever hear from the Police again. We keep calling the assigned detective for updates and get no response. When we go to get the copy of the report for insurance, I ask again "Will you be checking the pawn shops for the items I've listed?"

The policeman says "Hey, that's a good idea, you should try that."

Night and day from when I was burglarized in Boston and they actually caught the guy and got some of my belongings back.

Which part of this strikes you as professional?

Mind you, I've called them before for guys using gas powered air blowers after midnight and they never came out at all.

Don't talk to me on this topic when you don't live here and probably never had occasion to deal with them. I've lived here all my life, and have no criminal record or anything like that, but every experience I've had with them has been negative.

There was that time when I was 22 and was parked (legally) with a couple of friends downcity. There was a mentally challenged man who was frequently seen downtown - Storming Norman - masturbating across the street from us. Naturally we decided werent going to exit our car at that very moment and continued talking.

A policeman rapped on our window and asked why we were sitting in a parked car. We explained the situation but Norman had moved on by then. He searched our car for contraband (had none, we were good girls) and finding none he ordered us to leave the city. I wish I had the self confidence to stand up for my rights and refuse his illegal order.

I'm still waiting hopefully to have one experience that disproves ACAB.

^

Old 03-14-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Thank you Google. Had to look that one up. Who says that???
The poster that I quoted. The one who admonishes others for "making assumtions" about strangers and saying "creepy things" about people they don't know. The vey individual who's concluded that every law enforcement officer is worthy of her derision. From the shadows of anonymity of course.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:22 AM

The last two service intervals on my car were brutal. "AMAB"? And don't get me started on my broken garage door motor. "AEAB"?

Old 03-14-2021, 10:53 AM

I've noticed in life, that the most bitter and envious among us tend to have the most "negative" experiences with those that they encounter. Most of us on the other hand, understand that every profession is populated by those of varying skill and professionalism. I learned when I was about 12 that one takes the good with the bad in this brief existence.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:51 AM

There seems to also be several rather unflattering assumptions about "Norman".

Remember, "don't say creepy things about people you don't know".

Old 03-14-2021, 12:00 PM

23,063 posts, read 18,197,535 times
Can we at least assume that Trader Joe's (or Vicente's), will not beat Aldi's prices on half & half?

Old 03-14-2021, 01:27 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,085,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
The poster that I quoted. The one who admonishes others for "making assumtions" about strangers and saying "creepy things" about people they don't know. The vey individual who's concluded that every law enforcement officer is worthy of her derision. From the shadows of anonymity of course.
You have poor reading comprehension. I didn't say ACAB, I said nothing in my experience disproves it. I'm not stupid enough to think that my experience represents the breadth of the human experience.

And I don't see a picture of a cop on Google Street view and say "bet he's about to rob/kill/prostitute"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island