Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 11:25 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Shots fired the other night, same intersection.

2020-00055803
BROAD ST & BYFIELD ST
2020 Jul 10 04:07:00 PM
Shots Fired
Not Used
No violations
ASchneider

Last edited by massnative71; 07-13-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:04 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I-MAN, if I recall correctly, you've stated that the Elmwood Historic District is as safe as any area in the city. While I strongly disagree with that statement, I'd like to know if you still stand by that? I mean, we've seen multiple instances of South Providence gangbangers residing there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Just for fun, I'm going to assume you're genuine concern with my opinion is because I have actually lived there and know many people who still do. And, you haven't ever, don't now, and never ever would.

So, to answer your question: The 2 Elmwood Historic Districts are small defined urban neighborhoods populated by owner occupants, as opposed to the tenant occupancy of most of the rest of the area. They live next to the areas that might broadly be characterized as relatively "unsafe" due to gang & drug activity.

Many of these homeowners have lived there for decades. Some are new home buyers. They generally tell me, other than for typical petty crime, they feel safe. While violent crime may occur in nearby streets/blocks, it doesn't affect them where they live. Would they live their lives as if they lived in suburban or rural areas? Of course not. They take obvious & sensible precautions.

They would really have no reason to lie about their feeling of relative safety. With the traditionally strong historic district real estate market, if they didn't feel safe, they could easily sell and move. I'm sure some do for one reason or other, but many happily stay for years.
Quote:
You didn't answer my question.

(Or perhaps you did answer it by dancing around it.)
Quote:
I answered your question. The Elmwood Historic Districts are safe. You just disagree with the answer. And, that's alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Fwiw (while reading between the lines) that doesn't sound super safe to me. "Safer" than a few blocks east, south, north or wherever; but among the safest in the city??? If anything that would be a poor reflection of the whole city of Providence if there is any accuracy in that claim, but I'll leave it at that.

And with that said, it doesn't seem like this gang banger Castillo lived in a rental but in his family's owner occupied home. I guess his parents own a liquor store?
Quote:
Stating that the Elmwood Historic District is as safe as any area in the city is not giving an opinion. It's making a false statement. It's self-serving and dishonest. Period.
Quote:
I have no self interest in these neighborhoods except that I have have lived there and have many friends who still do - by choice not economic necessity. That gives me knowledge. Understanding.

That you don't know what you're talking about is a true statement. Stop bashing neighborhoods you actually know absolutely nothing about. Nothing.
Quote:
You were off to a good start, maybe quit while you're ahead?
Quote:
You may be right. But, when a poster continually insinuates incorrectly, that he knows something self-interested about the motivations of another forum member - it's wrong. While I have an affection for Historic Elmwood and many of the residents happily living there, I have absolutely nothing to gain from my posts. Except maybe to present the truth - as I know it to be from my personal experience. It's not a perfect place to live, but many residents are more than glad to call it home.
Quote:
Here we go again. You start with "It's as safe as any neighborhood in the city" to "well it has it's surrounded by blocks/streets of violence/has its petty crime/residents take precautions" then "it's not a perfect place to live..." You really think people aren't going to read between the lines?

I mean it is what it is, might be somebody's "paradise" but trying to portray it as something that it's not does a disservice to the forum.
Quote:
What does a disservice to this forum is a very few posters who constantly trash urban Providence neighborhoods they see with only suburban eyes. Actually, knowing NOTHING about living there - the nuance of one urban street to another. Preferring to just paint with a nasty broad brush.

As long as I'm here I won't let such willful ignorance go unchallenged, if I know better.

A man murdered in front of 230 Atlantic Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...!4d-71.4242081

Man shot a day later in front of 220 Atlantic Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...!4d-71.4239119

Drug bust at 204 Lexington Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...5!4d-71.424197

Another recent bust at 54 Adelaide Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/54...!4d-71.4173896

This is all from THIS year, and summer hasn't even began yet!

This is not at all reflective of a neighborhood that is as "safe as anywhere in the city". Going by reality, it's more an indicator that the Elmwood Historic District is a very problematic neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: