Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,325 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I have accepted a position in downtown Providence that starts in July. I hope to secure an apartment when i visit in May. I've only been to R.I. twice (for the interviews) and know little to nothing about the areas. Can anybody suggest places to focus on or, just as importantly, avoid? Walkability, safety and a young vibe would be great as I'm in my mid 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 07:52 AM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
I'd suggest the Broadway area of Federal Hill or the College Hill area on the East Side.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:04 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley1001 View Post
Hi All! I have accepted a position in downtown Providence that starts in July. I hope to secure an apartment when i visit in May. I've only been to R.I. twice (for the interviews) and know little to nothing about the areas. Can anybody suggest places to focus on or, just as importantly, avoid? Walkability, safety and a young vibe would be great as I'm in my mid 20s.
You might like the Armory/West Broadway/Federal Hill neighborhoods. Walk-able with a young/cool vibe. Right downtown is another option. Waterplace Park Condos are expensive, but popular with an age well mixed crowd. The Foundry is full of 20 somethings also.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
You might like the Armory/West Broadway/Federal Hill neighborhoods. Walk-able with a young/cool vibe. Right downtown is another option. Waterplace Park Condos are expensive, but popular with an age well mixed crowd. The Foundry is full of 20 somethings also.
This or Jewelry district.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:03 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This or Jewelry district.
there are also new apartments along Canal Street which makes the commute a simple walk. A little further away is the Jewelry District with new apartments, but also walkable to downtown work. Federal Hill and Armory are also walkable and frequent bus service available in bad weather. An area also to consider is Wickenden Street and Point Street with new apartments.

Good luck with the new job and welcome to Rhode Island.

Last edited by mr2448; 03-14-2020 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-14-2020, 09:39 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Just be careful with the Armory, it's quite spotty.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Just be careful with the Armory, it's quite spotty.
Don't worry about the Armory. When you start seeing obvious absentee owned houses, almost always with vinyl siding, you're at the edges of the neighborhood. Otherwise, residents love it.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:32 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Don't worry about the Armory. When you start seeing obvious absentee owned houses, almost always with vinyl siding, you're at the edges of the neighborhood. Otherwise, residents love it.

The Armory isn't for everyone. The particular breed it attracts, I'm sure they are happy there. They wouldn't be there otherwise, as the neighborhood requires no small sun of cash to move in (it's on par with other areas of town that have more mainstream appeal). It's probably worst at the Cranston St. end, where there are projects and other unsavory features.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The Armory isn't for everyone. The particular breed it attracts, I'm sure they are happy there. They wouldn't be there otherwise, as the neighborhood requires no small sun of cash to move in (it's on par with other areas of town that have more mainstream appeal). It's probably worst at the Cranston St. end, where there are projects and other unsavory features.
No neighborhood is for everybody, but some neighborhoods are characterized by the limited economic status of their residents. The Armory is NOT one of those neighborhoods. It's residents are economically diverse. Renters on public assistance living nearby home owning professionals with six digit plus incomes. That's the "particular breed" it attracts.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:21 PM

822 posts, read 856,483 times
The Armory, and West End in general is a cool area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island