Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 12:55 PM

29 posts, read 121,500 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I am a Brooklyn refugee desperately seeking a livable place to relocate. I have searched everywhere, and just can't seem to find the right fit. Ideally, I have been dreaming about a small city/large town by the ocean where I can afford some kind of tiny cottage and get around without a car (I am a pretty powerful biker). I know Newport is the birthplace of the landed gentry, but I was wondering if any regular tank top/flip flop wearing, artistically inclined and/or working class people live there as well.....(a small pocket of cool people living on the wrong side of the tracks perhaps)...If not, perhaps you can another town in your oceanic state....Please note I do not have a car at the moment, nor do I have a trust fund (only places with a modicum of affordable housing preferred). Though I have some freelance work I take with me, I would need to pick up a part time job wherever I live (I prefer landscape/garden design but can cater to tourists waitressing or whatever....as well). Thank you in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 04:59 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Default Newport near the water is out of sight

for you- if you find a tiny cottage on the water that rents cheap- please let me know!!!
Try Portsmouth, RI- maybe the Island Park section. It's funky and a bit decrepit so might have some cheaper places. Also, try Conimicut in Warwick, RI. (can be pretty seedy however).
Overall, RI has Been Discovered for several hundred years as "America's First Resort" --the Dept of Tourism motto! and by NYers- especially- who come here in droves in the summer. IT ain't no cheap backwater!!!!

Try Maine.... though MOST nice waterfront communities are also expensive... but you might have better luck...
or an area near Portsmouth NH- Salisbury Beach.
Let us know...

Old 04-26-2008, 05:41 PM

7 posts, read 23,772 times
Love, Love Newport. You would fit in fine. Artisans are most welcome. The only drawback would be affordable living for you. You could always try a roommate.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM

Default I found that place that didnt exist in

Middletown, one block from the ocean beaches and a hop skip and a jump to the cliff walk, and another mile or so into Newport... 800 per month, so I jumped on it. Only prob is a six month minimum, and now I am worried, very worried, I made a collosal mistake. The vibes I am getting here are very monied and snooty, which I should have expected, but I have a tendancy to jump with my eyes closed, on anything near a lovely ocean....particularly because I am burnt out looking for that perfect location and someone offered me an apartment. Anyhow, I am wondering if anyone can direct me to any cooler communities, maybe subcommunities out here. (In Portsmouth perhaps? Artists, singer songwriters, new age practitioners, liberal, outdoor people, anyone in their thirties or early forties who was not born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Or perhaps I should attempt to jump ship, get the deposit back if possible, high tail it to Providence...

Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
If you would consider coming Southward, you might try Beaufort, NC for a waterfront community. We moved here from Oakland/San Francisco and we're freelance writers, too.

Lots of creative spirits/artists here, along with moneyed people-- none snooty, though. Being a seaport means a constant mix of adventurous spirits from all over. Many relocators from points north here--NJ, NY, PA.

Cost of living here sounds as though it's less than Newport. In last week's newspaper there was a two bedroom waterfront apt. for rent...which is really a good deal. Away from the waterfront--but within easy biking distance--you can find some very affordable digs.

And if want to waitress or work in the hospitality trade, there are always openings in that area--esp. during the summer high season.

Anyhow, food for thought?

Beaufort's proven a delightful home for us and we're big fans of the community. Easy to make friends, wild horses on the Banks, dolphins and a Natl. Seashore all within hailing distance. What's not to like?

PM me if I can answer any specific questions you might have...

Good wishes,

Little Dolphin

Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Oops, forgot the rental fee for that 2 bedroom apt. was listed at $650/month.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Default Thanks little Dolphin

I actually lived on St. Helena Island out there for a while, and you are right Beaufort is great. I had no idea it was still that cheap to live out there though, so thanks for recommendation. Oh place shopping, place shopping. If you happen to hear of a landscape designer that may need a laborer/paid apprentice out there, please let me know...
Danielle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island