Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 11:06 PM

21 posts, read 21,332 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -
I am considering a job in Providence, RI - however, with the COVID restrictions, I might not be able to visit the city soon and I was hoping to get a sense before I get the opportunity to do that. I visited Providence once before and really liked it. But that was 4 years ago, and I wasn't looking at the city with a "do I want to move here?" lens...

I'm a partnered gay man, in my early 30s, living in St Louis, MO for about 5 years now. I grew to like St Louis eventually, but I'm more than ready to leave the Midwest! While I'm considering several areas geographically, Providence became of interest given its proximity to the water and other larger cities, while in itself, seems mid-sized and manageable.

I was hoping to get a sense re: the following:

- Walkability/Biking/Traffic/Public Transportation/Parking/...(Yes, I read about the potholes and that won't factor in, lol)
- How diverse is the city? Welcoming of transplants?
- Restaurant scene? - I'm happiest when I try new foods!
- Nightlife - Live music? LGBT venues?
- Housing - Renting market? Buying market?
- Weather: I love snow! I don't like unpredictability..
- Beaches/Outdoor activities: How close/far, how many months in the year is the water warm enough for swimming
- Parks?
- The airport?
- Other thoughts?

Thank you so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 05:35 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMyCity View Post
Hi everyone -
I am considering a job in Providence, RI -

- Walkability/Biking/Traffic/Public Transportation/Parking/...(Yes, I read about the potholes and that won't factor in, lol)
- Beaches/Outdoor activities: How close/far, how many months in the year is the water warm enough for swimming
- Parks?
- The airport?
- Other thoughts?

Thank you so much!!!!
Here are my thoughts on PVD:
Walk/Bike/Traffic/Parking: As walk-able as any city its size. Easy to get around on foot. Plenty of bike lanes everywhere.
Diversity: Much diversity & gay-friendly. On a scale of 10, it's a strong 9. You may find shallow friendships a bit harder to make, but trying is worth the effort for lifelong ones. Most of the city is minority/majority.
Nightlife: Known to be some of the best for a city of its size. Plenty of gay bars.
Housing: Comparatively expensive to both rent & own. Desirable areas go for a premium. Variety of neighborhood choices depending on how much diversity is desired.
Weather: If you love cold from December - March, you'll be fine. Snow is unpredictable year to year.
Beaches/Outdoors: You're less than 45 minutes for some of the most beautiful beaches in New England. Water temps are subjective. Late July/August/Early September are the warmest. Low 70s.
Parks: Great Zoo/parks/bike paths.
Airport: Green Airport is in Warwick, about 20 minutes south. Easy access. Great for going to FL. Going west not so much.
Other thoughts: If you like convenient small city living, you'll like Providence. It's a culturally progressive city which offers amenities normally accessible in a city more than twice it's size. They can be a bit insular, but if you make a real effort to get to know the locals, they can be warm & friendly.
Good luck!

Old 05-08-2020, 05:35 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMyCity View Post
Hi everyone -
I am considering a job in Providence, RI - however, with the COVID restrictions, I might not be able to visit the city soon and I was hoping to get a sense before I get the opportunity to do that. I visited Providence once before and really liked it. But that was 4 years ago, and I wasn't looking at the city with a "do I want to move here?" lens...

I'm a partnered gay man, in my early 30s, living in St Louis, MO for about 5 years now. I grew to like St Louis eventually, but I'm more than ready to leave the Midwest! While I'm considering several areas geographically, Providence became of interest given its proximity to the water and other larger cities, while in itself, seems mid-sized and manageable.

I was hoping to get a sense re: the following:

Generally walkable, some neighborhoods more than others. Traffic exists but not on the level of a bigger city. Public transit is available but not the greatest, those with a choice drive. Roadways are not ideal for biking, but people do it nevertheless and manage to stay alive.
Depends on the kind of diversity you are looking for. Most non whites are low income. The city isn't generally anti-transplant, but it's not particularly welcoming either. "Indifferent" would be the best word.
Awesome restaurant scene, probably one of the city's best selling points. Just don't expect good Chinese food, we have a long thread devoted to that.
Good nightlife for its size, always live music going on somewhere. The other thing I can't comment, but we have another poster here into that scene who may have insight.
Neither really, both are somewhat overpriced. Cheaper than Boston though.
Then you won't like Providence. Unpredictable is the rule, especially in recent years.
July, August, September. Good swimming beaches are at least 45 minutes away.
- Parks?
Urban parks, state parks/forests, state beaches...all there.
- The airport?
Good convenient airport, but not a lot of non-stops to non hub/non vacation destinations.
- Other thoughts?
Pretty obvious, but don't come without a job lined up.

Thank you so much!!!!
See answers in red.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:42 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Strongest lbgt nightlife scene in New England. Loads of people come from Boston for it.

Very easy to fit in as a transplant in PVD.

Strong restaurant scene for a city its size.

No way of knowing how covid will impact these though, but that's true everywhere.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Diversity: Much diversity & gay-friendly. On a scale of 10, it's a strong 9.
9 out of 10???

Sure I guess if your idea of "diversity" is low income Dominicans, Guatemalans, SE Asians and blacks; "gentrifying" white hipsters, yuppies and older academia/trust fundy whites on the East Side; to go along with a rapidly declining (mostly all white) middle class. The aforementioned groups rarely associate with one another. OP that may or may not work for you, but that is largely what Providence consists of.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
9 out of 10???

Sure I guess if your idea of "diversity" is low income Dominicans, Guatemalans, SE Asians and blacks; "gentrifying" white hipsters, yuppies and older academia/trust fundy whites on the East Side; to go along with a rapidly declining (mostly all white) middle class. The aforementioned groups rarely associate with one another. OP that may or may not work for you, but that is largely what Providence consists of.
Right. If the OP is looking for a city with a majority of middle/lower middle class under-educated white males, PVD may not be the place.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Right. If the OP is looking for a city with a majority of middle/lower middle class under-educated white males, PVD may not be the place.
Huh? I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this, and if I did it's probably not even a road I want to go down; but I'm just trying to help the OP in giving an accurate picture of things.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Huh? I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this, and if I did it's probably not even a road I want to go down; but I'm just trying to help the OP in giving an accurate picture of things.
No problem. The OP seemed pretty sharp & as such will likely understand your post & my response. Both are simple.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
No problem. The OP seemed pretty sharp & as such will likely understand your post & my response. Both are simple.
No I get it. It's a matter of perspective. One of them is a preconceived notion that "diversity" is nothing more than low income minorities living in the ghetto, complemented by a small white upper class (and a subtle disdain for anything in between that may threaten that oligarchy). The other perspective, an awareness that some may have other expectations as far as social mobility is concerned. For example, maybe the OP is an educated middle-class Hispanic who is seeking others from similar walks of life or an environment where intermingling between those of different backgrounds are the norm. In that case, Providence is not the best place for him.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:44 PM

Providence happily meets this simply & commonly held meaning of social ’diversity’: the inclusion of individuals representing more than one national origin, color, religion, socioeconomic stratum, sexual orientation, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island