Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 08:41 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times

Advertisements

So much emphasis is on the coastal cities and towns and their weather. Newport and Narragansett get so much play. Yet when their spring weather is foggy and cloudy and 45-50 degrees in these locations, we in NW Rhode Island are experiencing clear skies and temperatures from 60-75. Warmer days and cooler nights with less overall humidity. I already have a tan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 09:42 PM

17,740 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I already have a tan.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:08 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
So much emphasis is on the coastal cities and towns and their weather. Newport and Narragansett get so much play. Yet when their spring weather is foggy and cloudy and 45-50 degrees in these locations, we in NW Rhode Island are experiencing clear skies and temperatures from 60-75. Warmer days and cooler nights with less overall humidity. I already have a tan.
Having lived in RI, inland & at the coast, my picks for best Spring/Fall temps are inland in April & May & at the coast in September & October. Those ocean water temps are a big factor.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:17 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Not always the case though. I have experienced numerous times when heading down to the coast May(ish) or around then, where Northern RI is still dingy and overcast, when you'll get to a certain point around Wickford or so and it's like you cross a magic barrier where the sky opens up, vegetation is further along...just feels like you cross into "spring".

Old 04-07-2021, 08:17 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Lots of microclimates even in our small state.

I think one reason people love the coast is the maritime climate- there's less snow in winter- it is more humid/foggy however.

Another reason is that RI is distinguished by the coastline. A vast amount of the US is inland- you can get inland anywhere (and cheaper)- so it's a big reason people like it here.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:21 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not always the case though. I have experienced numerous times when heading down to the coast May(ish) or around then, where Northern RI is still dingy and overcast, when you'll get to a certain point around Wickford or so and it's like you cross a magic barrier where the sky opens up, vegetation is further along...just feels like you cross into "spring".

Yep. Driving home from college in Burlington Vermont after spring finals, I'd drive 5 hours with the trees just buds and then hit the coast where the leaves were all leafed out. With the prevailing breeze from the southwest off the ocean, it's often pretty chilly in May until you go a few miles inland.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:23 PM

683 posts, read 834,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
I'm a newbie here, but quickly am seeing that there are a lot of people on this forum that consistently rage on this state. Really to the point of absurdity in some instances, where you would think the entire area was a disaster of biblical proportions.

I do disagree though with trying to silence them. They have every right to criticize "til the cows come home."

In response, I will list what i love about it here. (Forgive me if there have been a litany of these posts, but I thought the latest threads were looking mighty grim, and hopefully this will be a welcome addition.)

Providence is a user friendly middle-tier city with plenty to do just 15 minutes away from my quieter neighborhood.

Some of the highest amount of restaurants per capita.

Relatively low pollution, particularly for the Northeast.

The City, the country and the beautiful beaches all within a compact area the size of a typical county.

Beautiful hiking trails and Nature Preserves. (Block Island is actually World Renowned for this.)

Short commuting time in my case, since I am lucky enough to work here. In my old state commute was an hour, here it is 15 minutes. (Everything is so close.)

One of the lowest violent crime rates in America.

Fantastic beer scene!

A state steeped in History, esp. American Revolutionary War history which I am a nut for.

Relatively flat - I hate mountains.

Our new govt. is taking much better care of our roads and bridges and fixing our infrastructure to catch up with the 21st Century. (I have my issues with Raimondo, but she has been good on this front.)

THE WEATHER. Four distinct seasons, fully realized and usually quite nice, in my opinion.

The people who tend to dislike the state leave in droves for other places, and the newcomers here all seem to love it which has given a more positive vibe the last few years.

Exactly!

Old 04-10-2021, 05:04 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
This time of year, just driving from Providence to the southern reaches of Narragansett Bay can see the temperature drop 12 degrees in 35 minutes. Micro climates indeed.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:59 AM

9 posts, read 9,281 times
[quote=RhodyRepub;58134479]I'm a newbie here, but quickly am seeing that there are a lot of people on this forum that consistently rage on this state. Really to the point of absurdity in some instances, where you would think the entire area was a disaster of biblical proportions.

I do disagree though with trying to silence them. They have every right to criticize "til the cows come home."

In response, I will list what i love about it here. (Forgive me if there have been a litany of these posts, but I thought the latest threads were looking mighty grim, and hopefully this will be a welcome addition.)

Wonderful post. You are making me want to move/visit immediately (save for lack of mountains, which are majestic, but to each their own!

Last edited by WanderlustHJ; 04-10-2021 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-10-2021, 03:10 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
[quote=WanderlustHJ;60791351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
I'm a newbie here, but quickly am seeing that there are a lot of people on this forum that consistently rage on this state. Really to the point of absurdity in some instances, where you would think the entire area was a disaster of biblical proportions.

Wonderful post. You are making me want to move/visit immediately (save for lack of mountains, which are majestic, but to each their own!
So go ahead and list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island