U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM

179 posts, read 1,183,338 times

Advertisements

Thank you everybody for your replies about my commute. I really appreciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 AM

280 posts, read 1,175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
So sorry you feel this way. We have met tons of people thus far including relocated "Yankees" as well as native North Carolinians and all have been more than welcoming/hospitable. As a matter of fact, the local joke here about the Cary nomencalture is "Containment area for relocated Yankees" (not contaminated) or "Cannot afford Raleigh yet". Either way, it is beyond beautiful here and we are quite happy. Yes, many Northerners like ourselves have relocated here for quality of life, improved cost of living and plentiful jobs. The Southern hospitality IS prevalent and I'm sorry you may have had a different experience. As far as RI, we LOVE RI as well, both having been born and raised there.
Its good you like NC, it sounds to me like you fit in very well. And by the way "Contaminated" is the word they used on the rock station down here, those were never my words, so there was no need to have to correct me, but thanks anyway.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,555,713 times
Default It shouldn't be too hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
I am planning on commuting from South of Providence to Back Bay (Boston). I have to drive to Providence from my house and then take the commuter rail, which stops near my new job. Am I crazy?
I do it every day from Providence to South Station. I park in South Attleboro because I don't want to deal with the hassle of parking in Providence. I don't know how much it costs to park in Providence, but it's $2 a day in South Attleboro if you get there early enough (before 6:45 am, roughly) and $3 a day after. There is plenty of parking and I've gone in at 11am and there have been spots. It's just about a five minute walk from the Home Depot area to the station.

In other words, you're not crazy in the least for considering it. I really enjoy my commute because it gives me plenty of time to read.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 AM

257 posts, read 1,292,926 times
If you can stick it out for a few years, eventually you'll be able to take the train from the airport in Warwick.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM

I know I heard about that...HOW LONG?? :-(

Also, can I get your opinion on this. Is this commute so expensive that it would be cheaper to live in an apartment with room mate(s) somewhere between RI and my work?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 AM

At home, I don't have to pay rent or for most of my food. However if I live in an apartment I would not have to pay for gas (I'd find one near the MBTA) or parking. My goal is to save money...please help.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,555,713 times
Default I know you didn't ask me but

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
I know I heard about that...HOW LONG?? :-(

Also, can I get your opinion on this. Is this commute so expensive that it would be cheaper to live in an apartment with room mate(s) somewhere between RI and my work?

I pay $235 per month for service from South Attleboro to Boston. If I went from Providence to Boston, it would be $250 per month. I wouldn't be surprised if it were even more once this Warwick station becomes available, but who knows?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Okay, but I'd still have to pay for the MBTA no matter what.

Would you definitely suggest that I drive to S. Attleboro instead of Providence?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM

257 posts, read 1,292,926 times
The savings in gas probly wouldn't outweigh not having to pay rent. Consider your sanity though, can you stand driving 20 mins, being on a train for an hour twice a day? If yes, then stay at home and commute. If not, move closer to Boston right near a station.

As far as Providence vs. S Attleboro, I've always said that if you don't live IN Providence, don't bother taking the train from there. I live about a mile from the station, and if I feel like walking, I'll take the T from Providence, but if I'm lazy, I'll drive to S Attleboro and take it. Parking in Providence is really expensive and getting to the highway can be a pain depending on time of day. The Providence station is more of a local, walk-to-it station to me, whereas S Attleboro is the long distance commuter drive-to-it station. The thing that sucks for you is that you may have to deal with Providence traffic coming home atleast from S Attleboro. 95 south into Providence is generally backed up nightly until 5:30 or 6pm, but you may be able to miss this depending on how late you get home.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 AM

Train leaves S. Attleboro at 7:22am which will get me into to work at 8:30am. Will there still be adequate parking in S. Attleboro at this time?

This is a pretty long day. Awake at 5AM, get home at 6:30PM. Ew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island