U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 05:01 PM

179 posts, read 1,179,103 times

Advertisements

I am planning on commuting from South of Providence to Back Bay (Boston). I have to drive to Providence from my house and then take the commuter rail, which stops near my new job. Am I crazy?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 13,508,023 times
Default How far south

of Providence are you?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:51 PM

15 minutes

Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 AM

4,195 posts, read 10,793,667 times
I commuted from Cranston to Back Bay for about a year and half. Although initially it doesn't seem too bad, it gets old quickly. The parking lot at Amtrak in Providence is costly and not all trains go all the way to Providence on return trips. Going from S. Attleboro commuter rail station is much less costly ($1 parking), you need to get there before 6am to get an sort of decent parking space. I often had to stand going home from Back bay until Sharon, when the train empties a bit. Some people don't mind the commute at all and feel the bigger salaries are worth it. I'd recommend taking the train back and forth at peak commute hours and see for yourself. Good luck with you decision!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 AM

8,577 posts, read 13,508,023 times
Default Everybody I've ever talked to who commuted that far

hated it! It adds about 3+ hours to your workday- that's the big thing.
If you're young and energetic, however, you might be able to deal with that for a while.

Hey Seniormember in Cary- is that Cary NC? How do you like it???????
Do tell......

Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 AM

Do tell......

Hi! We just moved from RI to Cary, NC 2 weeks ago. Both my husband and I were born/raised in RI. We came down in January, fell in love with this place, went home and put our house on the market. It sold in 3 weeks and here we are! We LOVE it here. So beautiful, large town of 100K people. The town is lovely, so well kept/clean, multilple gorgeous new communities, parks, walking trails etc. We are both in the process of job hunting (both medical professionals) but don't think we'll have a problem. We are also purchasing a home, due to close end of May. Housing is incredible here - so many gorgeous developments to choose from. $350K here buys you something that is closer to $500K in RI. If you need any more info, feel free to DM me.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Ack. Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on doing it for a few years. I get to live with my family for free though, and my job doesn't even exist really in RI anyway.

Should I take the train from Providence or South Attleboro? I'm actually a pretty bad driver. Parking is my worst skill! I'm kind of scared about parking in Providence in that small lot. When do the lots fill up (in Provy and South Attleboro)? Is it worth it to to go to S. Attleboro for the lower cost of parking? Is there a lot of traffic on 95 at this time in the morning (assume I leave my house in time to get a train that gets to Bay Bay before 9AM)?

I'm further south than Cranston.

Thank you for your replies!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 AM

The train ride is easier from Providence and so is the parking, as long as you don't mind paying a heftier parking fee (not certain what is now). You'll be lucky to even find a parking space in S. Attleboro after 7am, and you may have park way out in the lot by Home Depot - if they even allow that anymore. Traffic on 95N gets heavy after 7:30am, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you get to the Prov. Station before then.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM

280 posts, read 1,168,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
hated it! It adds about 3+ hours to your workday- that's the big thing.
If you're young and energetic, however, you might be able to deal with that for a while.

Do tell......
Just an FYI reguarding NC. Cary, NC is upbeat & clean, because all the ex-northerners are there building it up, keeping it clean & it has healthy food to eat now- not just pig & fat anymore. North Carolina people say that Cary stands for "Contaminated Area for Relocated Yankees". Also, another thing I have heard, Do you know what the difference is between a Yankee & a Damm Yankee, a Yankee is a Northerner that comes down here and goes back home, A Damm Yankee is a Northerner that comes down here and stays.
I just love this southern hospitality - whatever, I'm so out of here
PS: I know New England people don't like to be called Yankees, but thats what they call all Northerners in the south

Last edited by sue64; 04-28-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 03:20 PM

Smile Regarding "Cary, NC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue64 View Post
Just an FYI reguarding NC. Cary, NC is upbeat & clean, because all the ex-northerners are there building it up, keeping it clean & it has healthy food to eat now- not just pig & fat anymore. North Carolina people say that Cary stands for "Contaminated Area for Relocated Yankees". Also, another thing I have heard, Do you know what the difference is between a Yankee & a Damm Yankee, a Yankee is a Northerner that comes down here and goes back home, A Damm Yankee is a Northerner that comes down here and stays.
I just love this southern hospitality - whatever, I'm so out of here
PS: I know New England people don't like to be called Yankees, but thats what they call all Northerners in the south
So sorry you feel this way. We have met tons of people thus far including relocated "Yankees" as well as native North Carolinians and all have been more than welcoming/hospitable. As a matter of fact, the local joke here about the Cary nomencalture is "Containment area for relocated Yankees" (not contaminated) or "Cannot afford Raleigh yet". Either way, it is beyond beautiful here and we are quite happy. Yes, many Northerners like ourselves have relocated here for quality of life, improved cost of living and plentiful jobs. The Southern hospitality IS prevalent and I'm sorry you may have had a different experience. As far as RI, we LOVE RI as well, both having been born and raised there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island