Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 15,118 times

Advertisements

Hi -

My wife and I are considering a move to RI if we accept a job offer in Pawtucket. We have mostly lived on the West Coast in parts of CA and the Pacific NW so we are accustomed to the high cost of living, but otherwise, we don't know much about the NE area. If we do move to RI we only expect to live there for ~3-5 years but would like to get the most out of our time there. The general criteria we are looking for is...

- under 30mins commute to NE part of Pawtucket
- newer houses or townhomes ~$500k
- nice, safe community that is family oriented
- good schools
- near the water - if there are any nice waterfront areas in this part of the state
- close to shopping (target, whole foods, costco..)

Any advice on great areas that fit the general criteria we are looking for would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
My advice would be Barrington if schools are important. It is also near water.
However, you may have to forget the newer housing aspect. You could also try the Rumford area of East Providence (near a reservoir, not the bay). There are a few new houses there. Schools are OK, especially elementary.
Also consider Seekonk, Ma.

Look here:

Rhode Island Living - Finding your dream home has never been easier!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:08 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
A few choices: (you can get to Pawtucket from any of these towns in 30 min)
Barrington - small lovely, upscale town on the water in the East Bay, great schools, not inexpensive, very suburban
Warren - connects to Barrington, a bit more artsy/funky
East Greenwich - similar to Barrington but on the West Bay, also has excellent schools, also suburban
Jamestown - a gorgeous island that connects to mainland of RI in North kingstown and to Aquidneck Island (Newport), has some of the greatest ocean views (Beaver Tail), new highways will take you to Pawt. in 30-35 min.
Wickford - a historic section of North Kingstown
Several more communities further south such as Wakefield, Narragansett, South Kingstown, Charlestown but may push your commute to 45 minutes. Take Hollytrees advice and search for properties in these areas on RIliving.com,
And lastly, good luck, RI is beautiful.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 15,118 times
Barrington sounds like a nice area as well as the others listed. Would not have known that Jamestown was only 30-35 mins away via hwy from looking at a map - sounds nice. Thanks for the replies and link, very helpful. If we end up moving to the area I'm sure I'll be posting more questions about things to do and places to eat

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
No offense to Seniormember but I would strongly advise not commuting from the north part of the state to the south and vice versa, especially via I95. It's a commuter's nightmare, esp. through the Providence urban area. Jamestown is way too far IMHO.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:29 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
No offense to Seniormember but I would strongly advise not commuting from the north part of the state to the south and vice versa, especially via I95. It's a commuter's nightmare, esp. through the Providence urban area. Jamestown is way too far IMHO.
The commute to Pawt from any water location will be at minimum 35 minutes from the East Bay to as much as an hour from East Greenwich and definitely Jamestown. Going home thru Providence from Pawtucket, which you will need to do if you live on the West Bay or in Jamestown, can take as long as an hour and sometimes more! Traffic can stall out for the evening commute as early as 3 pm. East Bay commute is easier, by comparison, by traveling thru Massachusetts. Route 152 in Massachusetts takes you directly to Barrington and beyond. Slow driving but less time.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:09 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,015 times
Jamestown is more like 40 minutes from Pawtucket and that's with NO traffic, which is unlikely during rush hour. Driving to Pawtucket from anywhere south of Providence you'll have to deal with the bottlenecks on 95 in downtown Providence, and the reverse on the way home.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,160 times
If you are willing to compromise on being near the water (really, is any part of Rhode Island more than 45 min from the ocean?), would Saylesville Highlands in Lincoln be a good option? It seems like a nice family area and the schools are supposed to be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island