Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 09:16 PM

4,435 posts, read 3,219,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
PC has made great academic strides the last few decades. Much of it has to do with the school abandoning its initial mission to focus on educating the children of RI's working class Catholics. The school which started out as an affordable option with nearly all commuting students from RI now draws just 10% of its enrollment from the state. It today has a very high cost of attendance and mostly caters to the children of wealthy families from other northeast states such as MA, CT, NY, and NJ.
Wow, 10%? That's shocking! I'm serious, I never would have guessed.

OTOH, being a RI resident pretty much guarantees you can't get into Brown. Full disclosure: rejected from Brown, LOL. I would feel bad except I knew more worthy students who also got rejected my year - like the #1 Hendricken student with off the chart SATs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 09:18 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,836,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
“Long standing tradition”? Is that your justification for such behavior? Listen to yourself.

Says the man who defends what's going on in CHAD BROWN...

Old 02-28-2021, 09:34 PM

17,860 posts, read 9,291,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
OTOH, being a RI resident pretty much guarantees you can't get into Brown. Full disclosure: rejected from Brown, LOL. I would feel bad except I knew more worthy students who also got rejected my year - like the #1 Hendricken student with off the chart SATs
I think a recent valedictorian in Barrington got in to Brown, but that is highly unusual.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:20 PM

943 posts, read 412,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Wow, 10%? That's shocking! I'm serious, I never would have guessed.

Off the charts SATs doesn't exist anymore...Need to be an olympiad winner etc. to stand out lol. Faculty kids and underrepresented/first generation RI students can probably still get into Brown.
Good news about PC! Something to celebrate.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:56 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Not meant as an insult, but I think your age is showing. It's just college kids having fun.
No insult taken, but I'd just suggest, rather than age, it's just maturity showing. Yours speaks for itself. Next time I see see a group of drunks taking a leak on someone's front lawn in Elmhurst, I'll give your view of "fun" due consideration.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Good news about PC! Something to celebrate.
It is good news. It's obvious there are serious, accomplished students at PC.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
No insult taken, but I'd just suggest, rather than age, it's just maturity showing. Yours speaks for itself. Next time I see see a group of drunks taking a leak on someone's front lawn in Elmhurst, I'll give your view of "fun" due consideration.

That scene can be duplicated near most any college campus across the country (ever been to Amherst, Allston/Brighton, or NARRAGANSETT???). Nobody enjoys that stuff, but you clearly have something personal going on against PC where your bias has skewed your perspective. It's evidenced by outrageous posts of yours such as this, where you say you would rather live in the CHAD BROWN projects (one of the most notorious in the northeast) than on Pembroke Ave.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57974852-post10.html

Say what you want about Bert, but at least he doesn't attempt to hide "it".

Old 03-01-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
It is good news. It's obvious there are serious, accomplished students at PC.

Well duh...

Old 03-01-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That scene can be duplicated near most any college campus across the country (ever been to Amherst, Allston/Brighton, or NARRAGANSETT???). Nobody enjoys that stuff, but you clearly have something personal going on against PC where your bias has skewed your perspective. It's evidenced by outrageous posts of yours such as this, where you say you would rather live in the CHAD BROWN projects (one of the most notorious in the northeast) than on Pembroke Ave.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57974852-post10.html
Please re-read if you sincerely misunderstand. My comment concerned complaints regarding Elmhurst residents. Those I know, complain about the quality of life impact of PC students, not Chad Brown.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:35 AM

9,326 posts, read 14,945,768 times
I've often wondered WHY the PC students have a longstanding "tradition" of annoying neighbors much more so than other colleges.

And even if one approaches it from a "Catholic" viewpoint (too repressed???)- do Salve students disrupt Newport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island