Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 32,429 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are discussing moving out of the DC area and East Greenwich seems like the perfect place for us. I already teleworked full time before the pandemic, and my wife will likely be able to permanently when things go back to normal. We live in Northern VA about 7 minutes from DC and if we no longer need to commute into DC it seems crazy to stay here. We want a bigger house, but the type of houses we would like to upgrade to here would cost $2-3M (not remotely in our budget) and similar houses appear to be in the $800k-$1M range in EG. I am looking for some realtor recommendations, especially someone who has experience working with buyers not from the area.

I am wondering if EG is exactly what we are looking for as it appears to be on paper. We are looking for somewhere within 100 miles or so of Boston or NYC for comparable locality pay to DC, great schools for our baby and 3 year old, cooler summer climate compared to hot humid DC area, a town with a downtown that has some unique/non-chain restaurants and charm, 3500+ sqft house for under $1M with a flat yard, lots of parks and family friendly activities, preferably near water for future water/boating activities. Am I missing something, or is EG the perfect location for us? While my wife is a DC area native, I did live in Boston for 2 years after college, so I am familiar with New England generally (culture, weather, etc...).

Any realtor recommendations are appreciated, as well as any thoughts on EG or other areas that fit with what we’re looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 07:56 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Hard to say if a place is "perfect" for you, but so far it sounds like a very good match.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:31 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalpunk View Post
My wife and I are discussing moving out of the DC area and East Greenwich seems like the perfect place for us. I already teleworked full time before the pandemic, and my wife will likely be able to permanently when things go back to normal. We live in Northern VA about 7 minutes from DC and if we no longer need to commute into DC it seems crazy to stay here. We want a bigger house, but the type of houses we would like to upgrade to here would cost $2-3M (not remotely in our budget) and similar houses appear to be in the $800k-$1M range in EG. I am looking for some realtor recommendations, especially someone who has experience working with buyers not from the area.

I am wondering if EG is exactly what we are looking for as it appears to be on paper. We are looking for somewhere within 100 miles or so of Boston or NYC for comparable locality pay to DC, great schools for our baby and 3 year old, cooler summer climate compared to hot humid DC area, a town with a downtown that has some unique/non-chain restaurants and charm, 3500+ sqft house for under $1M with a flat yard, lots of parks and family friendly activities, preferably near water for future water/boating activities. Am I missing something, or is EG the perfect location for us? While my wife is a DC area native, I did live in Boston for 2 years after college, so I am familiar with New England generally (culture, weather, etc...).

Any realtor recommendations are appreciated, as well as any thoughts on EG or other areas that fit with what we’re looking for.
EG sure seems to fit what you're looking for. It's considered one of the nicest town in RI, with an above average (for RI) public school system. Your house budget looks about right also, perhaps a bit away from the water, but with a view. As for realtors, I'd suggest checking out various websites to see who sell the most in the area. They are usually the most knowledgeable. Realtor.com is a great window into local markets. Some of the big players for EG are Mott & Chace, Lila Delman, Residential Properties, Coldwell Banker, Gammons, etc.. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2021, 04:01 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
It does sound like EG could meet your criteria. There are probably other towns here that could as well. Houses for sale are scarce in RI right now. There are only 2 for sale in EG that might meet your criteria at the moment.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:49 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:

It's not completely clear to me what you're saying, but you are NOT going to be paid Boston, NYC, or DC money in the Providence area.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:55 AM

11 posts, read 32,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's not completely clear to me what you're saying, but you are NOT going to be paid Boston, NYC, or DC money in the Providence area.
In terms of the pay, my wife will need to be in the same locality as one of the satellite offices of her organization. If we were to move to a city that lacked an office she would take a huge pay cut. In the North East, NYC and Boston are the only two localities that have a satellite office. RI is in the Boston locality area for federal government employees (which we both are), and most of the places I’d consider in the NYC locality are either way too expensive or are in NJ. I grew up in NJ and vowed to never go back. My work organization allows employees to telework and receive DC pay no matter where you live in the USA.
From everything I have read the only areas with the kind of schools we are looking for are EG, Barrington and North Kingstown. Reading all the forums it seems like Barrington and NK are a little more rural and lack the same Main Street amenities as well as EG seeming to include more families or at least the community seems to be a little more family focused. Of course my perceptions could be completely wrong, which is why I am on here asking about it.

Last edited by jalpunk; 03-28-2021 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-28-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
In terms of the pay, my wife will need to be in the same locality as one of the satellite offices of her organization. If we were to move to a city that lacked an office she would take a huge pay cut. In the North East, NYC and Boston are the only two localities that have a satellite office. RI is in the Boston locality area for federal government employees (which we both are), and most of the places I’d consider in the NYC locality are either way too expensive or are in NJ. I grew up in NJ and vowed to never go back. My work organization allows employees to telework and receive DC pay no matter where you live in the USA.
From everything I have read the only areas with the kind of schools we are looking for are EG, Barrington and North Kingstown. Reading all the forums it seems like Barrington and NK are a little more rural and lack the same Main Street amenities as well as EG seeming to include more families or at least the community seems to be a little more family focused. Of course my perceptions could be completely wrong, which is why I am on here asking about it.
Barrington is not rural at all (it's suburban), but does not have much in the way of a walkable Main St.. N Kingstown is the most rural of the 3 and has the village of Wickford (among a couple of other small ones), but it's quite smaller than EG. All of those towns are family oriented. All are nice, but it sounds like EG checks all your boxes the best.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

Take a glance at Marion/Mattapoisett Massachusetts. Extremely strong elementary schools. You'll find the flat 5% Massachusetts state income tax will compare favorably to Rhode Island as a dual income couple well into 6 figures where you'd likely have a bunch of 5.99% income. With Proposition 2 1/2, property taxes are lower. The Marion mill rate is $11.70. Barrington and East Greenwich are up over $20.00. The Marion waterfront to Boston South Station is 58 miles/58 minutes on a weekend. An impossible drive at 7am midweek. In terms of places to go, the boating is better. For sailing, it's the best wind on the east coast.

None of Barrington, East Greenwich, and North Kingstown have the fancy coastal Main Street. Mattapoisett & Marion don't either. With two young children, I'd think there would be huge value on a place where they can safely roam the harbor village and grow up with all the salt water things.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
None of Barrington, East Greenwich, and North Kingstown have the fancy coastal Main Street. Mattapoisett & Marion don't either. With two young children, I'd think there would be huge value on a place where they can safely roam the harbor village and grow up with all the salt water things.

Huh? Pretty bid difference of:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6618...7i16384!8i8192

vs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6580...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-28-2021, 09:49 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
You also need to check property taxes- big differences among towns. Also, be aware that RILiving allows total square footage to include any finished basement room. So a 3000 sq ft house might be 2000 above ground- if that matters to you- so check the break down. Also, you must be vigilant about flood insurance. RI has good flood maps, so easy to avoid.

Barrington has a walkable main street district and is definitely worth considering. Taxes are high however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island