Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2021, 01:14 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,723,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
I don't think enemies is the right word after all. Not in the sense of WW2 era Germany and Japan at least. I believe our greatest rivals to be China and Russia. Ideologically and economically. And they gotta be wetting themselves over the thugs and loonies of the American far Left. It's rumored that Mr. Putin has taken to wearing an adult diaper when watching U. S. news.
Russia is a threat and a rival. But China, under the leadership of Xi Jinping, far surpasses Russia as a threat and certainly has been acting like an enemy. That's going way off topic for the RI forum though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 01:24 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,723,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
David Brooks is, at most, a cartoon conservative; he's not a conservative. When your survey of 'conservative' American thought comes from the New York Times, you're consuming Cliff's notes for the sake of pretending to understand a topic or point of view. You're consuming junk food.
Ouch! If we're at the point where David Brooks isn't considered a political conservative, we're at the cliff's edge. A "cartoon conservative", no less. He's never been my cup of tea, but how things have changed over there on the other side - where he used to be embraced.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Ouch! If we're at the point where David Brooks isn't considered a political conservative, we're at the cliff's edge. A "cartoon conservative", no less. He's never been my cup of tea, but how things have changed over there on the other side - where he used to be embraced.
Well, I guess that happens when you read the NYT and the WaPo, to the exclusion of anything 'conservative', lest you be 'outed' for having read something that your friends might disagree with. <gasp>

It's folly to think that the left, the right, or individuals are ideologically static.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:50 PM

4,234 posts, read 1,689,013 times
Quote:
Just happen to be reading today's paper. I'd have to agree with conservative NYT columnist David Brooks: "The greatest threat to America is that domestic autocrats, inspired by a global authoritarian movement, will again take over the U.S. government. The greatest threat to China is that internal liberals, inspired by global liberal ideals, will threaten the regime." Damn libs, they're everywhere! An authoritarian can't catch a break anywhere - not even in China!

BLM, CRT & the "looney left" are the least of the threats to America. The very least. Unless, of course, you believe January 6th was just a "tourist visit".
No less a tourist visit than Portland. And certainly no more. And I find both equally repulsive.

Last edited by PureBoston; 07-16-2021 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-16-2021, 01:54 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
Quote:
David Brooks is, at most, a cartoon conservative; he's not a conservative. When your survey of 'conservative' American thought comes from the New York Times, you're consuming Cliff's notes for the sake of pretending to understand a topic or point of view. You're consuming junk food.

Brooks is a Globalist, first and foremost.
OMG, he believes the earth is a Globe!

Fake News!

Old 07-16-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess that happens when you read the NYT and the WaPo, to the exclusion of anything 'conservative', lest you be 'outed' for having read something that your friends might disagree with. <gasp>It's folly to think that the left, the right, or individuals are ideologically static.
That's ok. I cut my teeth on the National Review & still read it. However, real conservative thought has been put out to pasture these days. The man in Florida & his party don't dig it.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
That's ok. I cut my teeth on the National Review & still read it. However, real conservative thought has been put out to pasture these days. The man in Florida & his party don't dig it.
Ok, so you still read the National Review. The assessment was my own. I do not identify as a conservative and perhaps conservatives don't ID Brooks that way, though I think they do.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
OMG, he believes the earth is a Globe!

Fake News!
Oh, is that what a globalist is?

/s

Old 07-17-2021, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you still read the National Review. The assessment was my own. I do not identify as a conservative and perhaps conservatives don't ID Brooks that way, though I think they do.
I also look to the WSJ for great factual reporting, if not its opinion pages. In these critical days for the republic it's more about truth vs. lie than conservative vs. liberal. As for Brooks, as a progressive, I see him ideologically as a conservative in the old school (Pre-Reagan) sense which I grew up with. The kind, along with Peggy Noonan, I'd like to have a martini with if ever given the opportunity. Enough. Off topic.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
No less a tourist visit than Portland. And certainly no more. And I find both equally repulsive.
That you would equate, in any way, some riot in Portland, Oregon (or anywhere) with an insurrection on the nation's capitol is absolutely incredible. "Equally" repulsive? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island