Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 09:10 AM

7,970 posts, read 4,627,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
If as I suspect, Fung doesn't run, hopefully another formidable Republican will emerge to challenge the staus quo.
To wax on about the "formidable" Fung (LOL!), you must have really, really hated Raimondo. I don't think I realized how much until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 09:29 AM

23,298 posts, read 18,461,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
To wax on about the "formidable" Fung (LOL!), you must have really, really hated Raimondo. I don't think I realized how much until now.

The ongoing theme in this thread, is that it's all "relative". In the particular pond he is swimming in, I would safely say that Fung is "formidable".

Old 09-17-2021, 09:37 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,882,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The ongoing theme in this thread, is that it's all "relative". In the particular pond he is swimming in, I would safely say that Fung is "formidable".

He took a city dying on the vine and transformed it into a prosperous, safe, and great place to live. All whilst getting Democrats to support him, and weaving it into a Republican stronghold in a deep Blue state.

Our current Mayor (who is also fantastic) has Fung's legacy to thank for beating a Democrat by 10 points in the last election.

I say he'd be formidable in a lot of states. In fact, arguably, he'd be more formidable in a purple or red state.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
The RI pond may be shallow, but, here's hoping it's not that shallow.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:55 AM

23,298 posts, read 18,461,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
He took a city dying on the vine and transformed it into a prosperous, safe, and great place to live. All whilst getting Democrats to support him, and weaving it into a Republican stronghold in a deep Blue state.

Our current Mayor (who is also fantastic) has Fung's legacy to thank for beating a Democrat by 10 points in the last election.

I say he'd be formidable in a lot of states. In fact, arguably, he'd be more formidable in a purple or red state.

True he has indisputably been great for Cranston. Thing is, that's a small "purplish" city. He already had a somewhat friendly city council, no? Governing the state of RI and navigating the GA, will be a much greater test for him. I also get the feeling, that outside of Cranston his accomplishments are underappreciated. I think his last campaign could have done a better job selling those. But no I really cannot think of a better potential out there, if he can actually pull it off.

^I Man likes to snicker, but I doubt he could actually name one. I'm curious as to what names get dropped (or more likely crickets).

Old 09-17-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
True he has indisputably been great for Cranston. Thing is, that's a small "purplish" city.

A "purplish" city dominated by Republicans.

Even most of our Democrats don't dig "Progressives."

Old 09-17-2021, 10:19 AM

17,381 posts, read 8,969,883 times
When looking at the current choices, one thing becomes very clear:

Gina was a superstar.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
A "purplish" city dominated by Republicans.
With the exceptions of Hopkins, Fung & a few local councilors, did Cranston voters go republican with any other offices - large or small? I don't think so. Proud Boy, you're free to let somebody else answer, if the cat's got your tongue.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Gina was a superstar.

Deloitte certainly thought so...

Old 09-17-2021, 10:36 AM

4,211 posts, read 1,635,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The trouble with being an ideologue is that it gets in the way of objectivity. How long have Rhode Island Democrats kept Rhode Island in 50th place for its ability to attract new business. And of course, the last 6 years under the direction of your "superstar". If you find the level of success and prosperity in tiny Rhode Island commensurate with its relative tax burden, then by all means, perpetuate the incestuous Democratic hegemony. My opinion? Time for an oil change at the State House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island