Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 12:28 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,897,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
They've been described as a group of 5 to 7 people - age 16 to 19. The group is robbing and attacking people. What would you call them?

My guess?

"Oppressed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 12:31 PM

8,056 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
I realize Holly is concerned the value of her house might drop $12, but what exactly is your objection to this discussion?
The same reason I would object if my favorite cable tv network started carrying low rent "cops" programing before 2 am. Fearmongering & obsession with urban crime, mostly trashing struggling neighborhoods, just ain't my cup of tea. And, if you may have noticed, I'm not alone.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:33 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The same reason I would object if my favorite cable tv network started carrying low rent "cops" programing before 2 am. Fearmongering & obsession with urban crime, mostly trashing struggling neighborhoods, just ain't my cup of tea. And, if you may have noticed, I'm not alone.
You may not be alone, but I believe you're in the minority. And I'll say that I find your apathetic stance to be somewhat troubling. You watched the video; those girls are clearly not the troublemakers that you like to stereotype PC students as.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:40 PM

8,056 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
You may not be alone, but I believe you're in the minority. And I'll say that I find your apathetic stance to be somewhat troubling. You watched the video; those girls are clearly not the troublemakers that you like to stereotype PC students as.
In the minority?? Really? You need to only check who participates in your redundant crime report threads. Usually a "majority" of 2.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:32 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
They've been described as a group of 5 to 7 people - age 16 to 19. The group is robbing and attacking people. What would you call them?
Suspects. Alleged attackers. Criminals. We have no evidence that they're in a gang. Just the facts, ma'am.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:10 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
So the student who was shot near University Heights was a street thug? The 74 year old who was just killed - also a street thug?

If we generally expect that sort of gang crime, why do you consider it so noteworthy that you devote a thread to it?

At least now I know that if something happens to me, I am not as important as a PC student.
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS is not Elmhurst, for one. You are making outrageous assumptions here, I say sleep it off and re-read what I said with a fresh set of eyes.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:19 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Whoa, now they were gang bangers? Who said? What gang?

Facts matter.
Quote:
Quote:
Suspects. Alleged attackers. Criminals. We have no evidence that they're in a gang. Just the facts, ma'am.

sandsonik...

A group of teenagers robbing and attacking people = a gang

Old 10-07-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Blame the victim, indeed. They probably didn't "check their privilege" enough...

Last edited by massnative71; 10-07-2021 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-08-2021, 04:08 AM

Recent assaults prompt PC to implement new safety, security measures

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...rity-measures/

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — In response to a number of assaults on college students in the city, Providence College is implementing a number of security measures to keep everyone safe.
After hosting an open forum regarding the recent incidents, Providence College created a five-point plan to ensure students feel safe.
The plan includes the creation of a Safety and Security Task Force, which will compromise of students living both on and off campus, faculty, staff and members of the Providence Police Department.
The task force, according to the college, will ensure safety measures are consistently evaluated and improved.

In addition, a late-night shuttle service will be made available for all students traveling on campus and within the surrounding neighborhood. (Details on those shuttle routes and schedules are forthcoming.)
The college said the Fennel Gate, located on Eaton Street, will now be regularly staffed in the evening and throughout the early-morning hours by a public safety officer.
To make students living on campus feel at ease, each residence hall is being assigned a public safety officer that will serve as a liaison between the student residents, public safety department and residence hall directors.
Lastly, self-defense classes will be offered for students who wish to participate.
This comes as the Providence Police Department agreed to ramp up patrols in the neighborhoods surrounding the college, especially on the weekends."

"Providence College senior Meghan McLaughlin attended Tuesday night’s meeting and said about an hour-and-a-half into it, she’d already had enough.
“They kept expressing it as a problem with communication rather than allowing us to share our grievances,” McLaughlin said.
“[My friends and I] have all gotten pepper spray and different alarms,” she continued. “Even in the last month, I’ve felt more unsafe than I have the last four years I’ve been here.”"

^Those of you incorrectly claiming that it's "always been this way", please take note.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:16 AM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Did you ever, in your wildest dreams when growing up, imagine yourself bargain hunting for Half & Half as an adult?
I was taught not to throw away money, which was a good thing. I didn't come from money, but I can afford to put Half and half instead of powdered milk in my coffee, so yes, I feel like a success.

Are you saying these boys were stealing money to buy half and half? Otherwise I don't see the relevance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island