Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 12:41 AM

17,157 posts, read 8,804,580 times

Advertisements

Best pizza in Providence (and RI), IMO.

'End of an era': Tommy's Pizza in Providence closes

They were open for 66 years.

"Tom Sacco told NBC 10 News Monday night it was a long time coming as business has been slow. He also cited violence in the city."

Their Cranston location will remain open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 12:28 PM

4,218 posts, read 3,096,424 times
I know some people who will be devastated by this. I've heard the Cranston location isn't as good but I have yet to make it there

Old 10-19-2021, 03:15 PM

23,112 posts, read 18,253,423 times
How long has there been a location in Cranston??? I find these legacy places often disappoint when they attempt to duplicate at other sites (see Pizzeria Regina in Boston).

Old 10-19-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
How long has there been a location in Cranston??? I find these legacy places often disappoint when they attempt to duplicate at other sites (see Pizzeria Regina in Boston).
That is very often the case, but I have not been disappointed by the Tommy's in Cranston. Not sure how long they've been there.

Slightly off-topic...

I like old school pizza. My favorites are Tommy's and Uncle Tony's.

As for Uncle Tony's, I prefer the East Providence (Newport Ave - near Pawtucket) location over the Cranston location because they use different pepperoni.

Cranston - the wide thin pepperoni that stays flat

East Prov - the smaller thick pepperoni that curls into like a cup and you get that good grease in it.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:47 PM

23,112 posts, read 18,253,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That is very often the case, but I have not been disappointed by the Tommy's in Cranston. Not sure how long they've been there.

Slightly off-topic...

I like old school pizza. My favorites are Tommy's and Uncle Tony's.

As for Uncle Tony's, I prefer the East Providence (Newport Ave - near Pawtucket) location over the Cranston location because they use different pepperoni.

East Prov - the smaller thick pepperoni that curls into like a cup and you get that good grease in it.
Yeah it sucks to lose another, as there's not a lot of these old school places around to begin with. Not a fan of Greek or these new "artisan" type pizza joints. I'll give the Cranston one a try at some point. Twins is another favorite of mine, if in the mood for that style.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Gosh, it's been years now. They're on Oaklawn Ave.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:03 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,155,438 times
Quote:

And the Johnston Uncle Tony's is terrible.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:59 PM

From Channel 12:

"According to Sacco, a combination of financial losses, the pandemic, and increased violence in the surrounding neighborhood made it impossible to stay open.

“There is more crime, there’s less foot traffic, a lot of the people that used to live in this neighborhood moved out,” he explained.

He said the pandemic finally pushed them over the edge.

“I mean, its impossible to get staff,” Sacco said. “Also, with people doing remote working … downtown was a lot of our business — no one is downtown anymore.”

Old 10-21-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
From Channel 12:

"According to Sacco, a combination of financial losses, the pandemic, and increased violence in the surrounding neighborhood made it impossible to stay open.

“There is more crime, there’s less foot traffic, a lot of the people that used to live in this neighborhood moved out,” he explained.

He said the pandemic finally pushed them over the edge.

“I mean, its impossible to get staff,” Sacco said. “Also, with people doing remote working … downtown was a lot of our business — no one is downtown anymore.”
Yup, that's the last time I had Tommys.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,038,921 times
Quote:
Best pizza in Providence (and RI), IMO.

'End of an era': Tommy's Pizza in Providence closes

They were open for 66 years.

"Tom Sacco told NBC 10 News Monday night it was a long time coming as business has been slow. He also cited violence in the city."

Their Cranston location will remain open.
and yet Los Andes right up the street is a tough seat to get. They went down hill over the years and yes. Many Italians have moved from the area and Irish also. The new neighbors are not pizza eaters. The crime is no different from 50-60 years ago. Just a different ethnicity. Tommy's was across the street from one of the toughest Irish bars in the city. It is actually much quieter than it was 60 years ago. The good news for those who eat pizza is that there are plenty to choose from in Providence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island