Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 09:46 AM

17,241 posts, read 8,859,488 times

Advertisements

Due to "the explosive growth of online shopping".

CVS plans to shut 900 stores over 3 years

Quote:
"The company has been evaluating changes in population, consumer buying patterns and future health needs to ensure it has the right kinds of stores in the right locations for consumers and for the business," the company said in a statement. "As part of this initiative, CVS Health will reduce store density in certain locations and close approximately 300 stores a year for the next three years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 10:23 AM

24,523 posts, read 18,044,055 times
The copay price break on 90 day Rx through the mail has to be hitting brick & mortar pharmacies hard. If the traffic doing monthly refills that also spends on their big mark-up retail drops off, it’s hard to cover the big labor costs.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:03 AM

9,243 posts, read 14,800,518 times
Sounds about right. They probably have too many sites in certain places. Plus, we will see over the next decade (or less) lots more brick and mortar store closures. That, along with office site closures, ( due to workers working online from home) is going to make for a changed world.

Quote:
CVS said it will focus on three store formats: sites that offer primary care services, sites that feature an enhanced version of HealthHUB, and sites that offer the traditional mix of pharmacy services and retail.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:12 PM

70 posts, read 52,420 times
They seem to have way too many stores just like theres way too many Dunkin Donuts.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:37 PM

23,190 posts, read 18,331,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzoftheweek View Post
They seem to have way too many stores just like theres way too many Dunkin Donuts.

I don't know about CVS, I tend to boycott them (don't ask it's personal). But can you point me to some of these Dunkin Donuts that are missing customers (and lines)? Feel free to share.

Old 11-20-2021, 11:35 PM

527 posts, read 409,788 times
CVS is a freakin’ ripoff. This isn’t surprising at all. I went in there last night because I didn’t feel like driving to Target and paid almost $40 for non-fancy moisturizer, powder, and M&Ms. And this was also with a 35% off coupon. If I went to Target or Walmart, that same order would’ve been under $30. They’re simply way too expensive and everyone avoids them for this reason.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:08 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,111,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
CVS is a freakin’ ripoff. This isn’t surprising at all. I went in there last night because I didn’t feel like driving to Target and paid almost $40 for non-fancy moisturizer, powder, and M&Ms. And this was also with a 35% off coupon. If I went to Target or Walmart, that same order would’ve been under $30. They’re simply way too expensive and everyone avoids them for this reason.
Agreed although on average, with those ExtraCare coupons and the like, my shopping trips are about the same as Target, price-wise.

But the high prices without ExtraCare coupons likely do scare people off. I wonder why CVS does that.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:52 AM

527 posts, read 409,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Agreed although on average, with those ExtraCare coupons and the like, my shopping trips are about the same as Target, price-wise.

But the high prices without ExtraCare coupons likely do scare people off. I wonder why CVS does that.
I’m not sure if maybe they were banking on people using the Extra Care program a lot more than they do? I definitely agree that using the EC coupons helps (and I do use mine as much as possible), but I will say often times when I’m in line and the store associate asks people in front of me if they have an EC card, it’s usually met with a ‘no’. I’m always tempted to tell them to swipe my card so I can get the points and they get a potential discount!

I think another possibility is that the high prices started to outweigh the convenience factor. I definitely noticed that prices have soared even in the past 3 or 4 years. I used to go all the time because there were about four of them in the town I was living in, but as the price disparity became glaringly obvious, I decided it just wasn’t worth it. So, off to Target or Walmart I go. I only go to CVS if I absolutely need a few small things and really don’t feel like leaving town. And even then I scour my email to see if I have a coupon.

Also, the greeting cards are outrageous! And they don’t have many less expensive but just-as-nice options the way Target and Walmart do.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:08 AM

24,523 posts, read 18,044,055 times
We just changed healthcare coverage. The new plan has very tiered prices. CVS MinuteClinic is the best pricing anywhere near here for something quick. Unfortunately, the several closest CVS don’t have them so it’s a 24 minute drive. Walgreens is our closest pharmacy and it’s newer construction & has an office with a door for vaccinations. We’re unlikely to set foot in a CVS unless it’s to use that MinuteClinic to get something like a Lyme test/Rx or Tamiflu Rx.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:53 AM

8,408 posts, read 4,464,051 times
They are going to have larger more strategically located stores. Makes sense for the bottom line. Not as many brick and mortar locations are needed as was once the case. Online purchasing has changed retail. Look at the banking industry for a glimpse of the future. No where near as many bank branches and ATM's as there used to be. Electronic banking and payment options brought great change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: