Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 09:58 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
No, you use a commercial VPN to get an IP address from another location so you can be anonymous on the internet. Otherwise, Google and all the other trackers know exactly who you are because you're coming in on the same IP address all the time.

I use ExpressVPN. I pay $100 for 18 months. Right now, my IP address is 191.101.174.70 in Newark NJ and a WhoIs on that IP address is "Digital Energy Technologies Limited". For me, it's worth ~ $5/month to protect my privacy on the internet. Bezos knows who I am because he's got my credit card and shipping address but nobody else does.

So... If you want to bother, you could create multiple identities here and use different IP addresses for each. If you put your browser in anonymous mode, you really would be anonymous. With ExpressVPN, I can pick countries around the world and ~ 25 different locations within the United States. There are a bunch of other commercial VPN companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
What can you tell us about mustelid1971?

So based on what you are saying, mustelid1971's IP address might not be ACAB/ANTIFA lairs of Wiggins Village and vicinity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 06:10 AM

4,389 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
No, you use a commercial VPN to get an IP address from another location so you can be anonymous on the internet. Otherwise, Google and all the other trackers know exactly who you are because you're coming in on the same IP address all the time.

I use ExpressVPN. I pay $100 for 18 months. Right now, my IP address is 191.101.174.70 in Newark NJ and a WhoIs on that IP address is "Digital Energy Technologies Limited". For me, it's worth ~ $5/month to protect my privacy on the internet. Bezos knows who I am because he's got my credit card and shipping address but nobody else does.

So... If you want to bother, you could create multiple identities here and use different IP addresses for each. If you put your browser in anonymous mode, you really would be anonymous. With ExpressVPN, I can pick countries around the world and ~ 25 different locations within the United States. There are a bunch of other commercial VPN companies.
Thanks. I've wondered because I use a VPN for work only and that's all I know about it but I hear soccer fans online talking about them when they're trying to find a stream of a game with a regional blackout. So they might be paying twice? Once for the VPN and possibly to the subscription provider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island