Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 03:55 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

I guess I was the one in the wrong, having not gotten the wordage straight from Holly's 2019 post. I apologize profusely for that.

But to think after that endless bickering session, my point remains EXACTLY the same. Awesome job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 04:15 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Yes. A true leader would not discourage participation from out-of-state members.

Believe it or not, Independent Man, the out-of-state posters here all have some kind of connection to RI. Maybe they live near the border. Maybe they have friends and/or family here. Maybe they lived here in the past. Maybe they're thinking about moving here. It's really none of your business, and you don't get to decide who can or can't post here.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:30 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There was nothing deceptive. Of course I'm aware of the recent thread, but I was under the impression that Holly assigned that role to you. I simply made a mistake and believed the two terms meant the same thing.
If you knew about the recent thread where mass native used the word implicitly, I don't know how you could think a post about a statue 2 years ago was relevant. My last comment on it.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:35 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Yes. A true leader would not discourage participation from out-of-state members.

Believe it or not, Independent Man, the out-of-state posters here all have some kind of connection to RI. Maybe they live near the border. Maybe they have friends and/or family here. Maybe they lived here in the past. Maybe they're thinking about moving here. It's really none of your business, and you don't get to decide who can or can't post here.
There's a difference between deciding who can post her - none of us have that power nor have we claimed it - and believing that readers should be aware that a poster's experience with RI may not include living here. Or living here a long time ago. It's a matter of transparency, and weighing the advice given.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:37 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:

Of course not. Never said that. Even as the "de facto leader" (an absurdity) I'm still helpless to control deceptive content. Is there anything wrong with knowing from whence the few posters left, come? And, since there are only a half dozen or so posters left here, all the more important. Thankfully, this is something you can't control.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
If you knew about the recent thread where mass native used the word implicitly, I don't know how you could think a post about a statue 2 years ago was relevant. My last comment on it.
It's totally relevant because that 2019 post was what my recent thread was addressing, other than I committed the heinous crime of being off in the wordage. And not only have people remembered, but it's also clear that this "leader" has let that ambiguous title get to his head over the years (attempting to bully/control who posts and who doesn't, etc.).

Old 02-25-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
There was nothing deceptive. Of course I'm aware of the recent thread, but I was under the impression that Holly assigned that role to you. I simply made a mistake and believed the two terms meant the same thing.
Quote:
Again, I mistakenly believed that "figurehead" and "de facto leader" meant the same thing.

When Independent Man claimed that massnative coined the term recently, I attempted to correct him by pointing out that it was actually Holly a while back.

No deception involved.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
There's a difference between deciding who can post her - none of us have that power nor have we claimed it - and believing that readers should be aware that a poster's experience with RI may not include living here. Or living here a long time ago. It's a matter of transparency, and weighing the advice given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Of course not. Never said that. Even as the "de facto leader" (an absurdity) I'm still helpless to control deceptive content. Is there anything wrong with knowing from whence the few posters left, come? And, since there are only a half dozen or so posters left here, all the more important. Thankfully, this is something you can't control.
In this anonymous forum, if a poster wants to share personal information like that then more power to em. But that is totally on them, otherwise it's none of anybody's business whatsoever. If you feel that inaccurate or outdated information is posted, then you are free to challenge that with countering info.. The endless campaign to discredit certain posters out of their perceived current location, looks desperate and weak. Again, its the last thing we should expect from a leader and I can see why a newcomer might be deterred from posting here.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Yesterday an in-state poster advised someone to check out "the mature downtown areas" of East Providence and Warwick. Had I not been quick to respond, I guarantee you that one of our knowledgeable out-of-state posters would have pointed out that those cities don't even have a downtown.

Some of our regular out-of-state posters know RI far better than most of our in-state posters, and anyone who knows RI can easily see that.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:30 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times
Was it an evil out of stater who blathered that Providence police don't prevent crime? Because all the crooks are already in prison. Or that they should be abolished entirely? By an entity without guns.To be named later. Or that the Boogaloo Boy burned down the police station---to frame BLM? Free advice folks? Take the help anywhere you can get it.

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-25-2022 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island