Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 11:04 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There's more than enough people who could benefit from a move to Providence; it need not be a majority of Boston workers.

Point is that Providence would be more expensive were it a viable option for the majority of Boston workers vs. just "more than enough" of them.

Then you get those who move to Providence, not realizing how much the commute time adds up over the week/month.... We had a poster here for a while who works Boston, and who bought a condo on the East Side in order to save money. He now seems to be regretting his decision. The specifics of that is unclear to us, but I suspect the commute is wearing him down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 08:04 AM

4,230 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There's more than enough people who could benefit from a move to Providence; it need not be a majority of Boston workers.
When folks start moving to Providence for jobs instead of cheap houses, we can start a whole new conversation. It's pure greed that allows any of you to think that wealthy out of staters driving up local home prices is a good thing. Though it's very much in line with the prevailing Rhode Island mentality of insularity and insecurity.

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-15-2022 at 08:17 AM..

Old 02-15-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
It's pure greed that allows any of you to think that wealthy out of staters driving up local home prices is a good thing.

I fully agree to this, and it makes me sick to see some of our fellow posters getting an almost sadistic form of pleasure over this phenomenon.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:06 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Interplanetary travel notwithstanding, I am amazed at how many people I know around Boston who are now singing the praises of RI.
Lower/moderate-income Bostonians have been moving down to Providence and its suburbs for a long time now. I'm surprised so much of this discussion is framed around this being a "new phenomenon". The Middle and Upper Middle Classes must be joining in on the migration.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:42 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I fully agree to this, and it makes me sick to see some of our fellow posters getting an almost sadistic form of pleasure over this phenomenon.
Sadistic? Such drama. It's very strange what turns your stomach Krime Kinkster. Perhaps, take some Tums for that? LOL

Old 02-15-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lower/moderate-income Bostonians have been moving down to Providence and its suburbs for a long time now. I'm surprised so much of this discussion is framed around this being a "new phenomenon". The Middle and Upper Middle Classes must be joining in on the migration.
It is a new phenomenon in that many upper middle & upper income homebuyers are exercising a greater freedom to live untethered to the office. And, in my community there is an influx of second home buyers (from, Mass, NY & CT) replacing full time occupants who are cashing out & moving to cheaper locales. Houses which were occupied full time are now largely vacant for half of the year. Also, noticing increased Airbnb activity. These aren't necessarily good things. I regret the loss of social & income diversity.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Sadistic? Such drama. It's very strange what turns your stomach Krime Kinkster. Perhaps, take some Tums for that? LOL
Not RI but I think it’s great that wealthy Bostonians are driving up prices of the oceanfront property in my town. I don’t live in one of the gated communities. My mill rate just dropped to $9.40. Those people are subsidizing my property taxes. They don’t use the school system which is the majority of the town budget. A lot of them live on private roads. Their money supports the local businesses in my little harbor village that wouldn’t be there without them.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not RI but I think it’s great that wealthy Bostonians are driving up prices of the oceanfront property in my town. I don’t live in one of the gated communities. My mill rate just dropped to $9.40. Those people are subsidizing my property taxes. They don’t use the school system which is the majority of the town budget. A lot of them live on private roads. Their money supports the local businesses in my little harbor village that wouldn’t be there without them.
Ditto to everything in this post. Our excellent school system is flush with money because increasingly more property taxpayers aren't using the public schools. Property taxes remain embarrassingly low compared to other RI towns.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Wow why all defensive???

You OK, buddy?

Old 02-15-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Yet how much did your assessment go up? Please don't try to tell me your taxes went "down".

Quote:
Ditto to everything in this post. Our excellent school system is flush with money because increasingly more property taxpayers aren't using the public schools. Property taxes remain embarrassingly low compared to other RI towns.

Humble brag much? "embarrassingly low" LOL...

Again, I doubt your property taxes have dropped compared to 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island