Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 09:14 PM

4,378 posts, read 3,191,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The man was stalking. Would you vote for him?
Nay. But the stalking accusation isn't as clear cut as the fact that he was drinking and driving, and probably smoking too. That eliminates him for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 08:44 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,899,298 times
This poll has Republicans defeating Democrats by wide margins for Langevin's seat. Perhaps even more surprising: Fung is well behind an upstart challenger.

de la Cruz leads informal ranking of 2nd Congressional District race

Quote:
If an informal online poll for the Rhode Island 2nd Congressional District race conducted by Beacon Communications is any indicator of how the results will go this fall, state Sen. Jessica de la Cruz is the preferred candidate to appear on the November ballot. With over 300 people taking the poll since it began last week 58.5 percent of them said de la Cruz is their first choice.

“With 11 candidates, Democrats and Republicans, running for the seat being vacated by Jim Langevin, Beacon Communications is asking the public to rank their preference of who should appear on the November ballot with (1) being the preferred candidate and so forth down the list,” the summary of the poll reads. “ We are planning a follow up online poll that will list the top two Republicans and top three Democrats.”

Also on the Republican side, former Cranston Mayor Allan Fung has received 89 first place votes, 35 second place votes and 27 third place votes. Thus far 42 people ranked him last.

Robert Lancia, who ran against Langevin in the general election last year as a Republican has received 40 first place votes so far, 37 second place votes and 22 third place votes. So far 56 people ranked him last.

For the Democrats, General Treasurer Seth Magaziner leads the poll with 19 first place votes, seven second place votes, and six third place votes. Magaziner also has the most last place votes so far with 190.
https://www.cranstononline.com/stori...t-race,172568?

Last edited by RhodyRepub; 04-03-2022 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-03-2022, 10:11 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
This poll has Republicans defeating Democrats by wide margins for Langevin's seat. Perhaps even more surprising: Fung is well behind an upstart challenger. de la Cruz leads informal ranking of 2nd Congressional District racehttps://www.cranstononline.com/stori...t-race,172568?
Interesting. But, tiny informal polls can often be taken with a grain so salt. That de la Cruz (whoever she is) polls ahead of the charisma challenged Fung shouldn't be that shocking. He's the known quantity.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
tiny informal polls can often be taken with a grain so salt.

It's a fair criticism.

The question is, with so many other indicators pointing to a historically awful year for Democrats, is it a correct one?

Tick tock

Old 04-03-2022, 08:17 PM

Fung raises over $500K in first quarter

Quote:
Republican congressional hopeful Allan Fung raised over $500,000 for his campaign during his first seven weeks in the race to replace Jim Langevin, 12 News has learned.

Fung’s team shared the number at a virtual meeting of his finance committee on Sunday, according to a source with direct knowledge of the call. The former Cranston mayor is also loaning his campaign $50,000, the person said.

The half-million-dollar haul for Fung will add to Democratic jitters about his potential strength in the race to replace Langevin, who unexpectedly announced his retirement in January after two decades representing the 2nd Congressional District.

https://www.wpri.com/news/elections/...first-quarter/

Of course, if this is mostly just corporate cash it means very little.

Right now, the grassroots seems to be with de la Cruz.

We shall see.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:26 AM

De la Cruz drops out of race for Congress, endorses Fung

Quote:
“I believe that Mayor Fung now represents the best chance for Rhode Island to send a Republican to Congress,” she said. “He has my full endorsement.”

Fung responded in a statement of his own, saying he is grateful for de la Cruz’s friendship and support.

“The two of us will work very hard together to elect more Republicans not only in the General Assembly, but in local races across the board,” he said. “I’m very much looking forward to working together with Rhode Islanders of every party to bring common sense solutions to D.C. and tackle some of our biggest challenges when I’m in Congress.”
Meanwhile, as the Republicans consolidate their unity, the Democrats have more candidates than ever.

And there will be internecine squabbling.

Get out the popcorn and pour the brew.

It's going to be a fun political season.

https://www.wpri.com/news/politics/d...endorses-fung/

Old 04-16-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Allan Fung didn’t get a lot of breaks in his two unsuccessful runs for governor — contested primaries, a financial juggernaut in Gina Raimondo, and a dismal environment for the GOP in 2018. But so far he’s getting lots of good news as he makes a bid to succeed Jim Langevin. His fundraising is off to a strong start, with a reported $500,000 haul for the first quarter. The electoral winds are blowing his way, as Joe Biden’s own pollster warns Democrats face “the worst political environment that I’ve lived through in 30 years of being a political consultant.”And now an up-and-coming rival with solid political chops, state Sen. Jessica de la Cruz, has bowed out of the Republican primary and backed Fung, leaving former state Rep. Bob Lancia as his only obstacle to the nomination.

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...otes-april-16/

Old 04-16-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
De la Cruz drops out of race for Congress, endorses Fung

Meanwhile, as the Republicans consolidate their unity, the Democrats have more candidates than ever.

And there will be internecine squabbling.

Get out the popcorn and pour the brew.

It's going to be a fun political season.

https://www.wpri.com/news/politics/d...endorses-fung/
Hey, good luck. You deserve a break. You'll likely be disappointed but that's par for the course. Everyone is

Old 04-16-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
You'll likely be disappointed but that's par for the course. Everyone is

Speak for yourself, sucker.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Speak for yourself, sucker.
That's the only person I ever speak for. Do I need a disclaimer?

Truly hope the sun comes out and you hit the lottery when you get your Republican governor/representatives but I think you've built it up into such a life changer that it can't be anything but a letdown when it happens.

But thanks for the laugh. "Speak for yourself SUCKER!" I thought I was in a 1920s gangster movie for a second. Listen buddy, why I oughtta.... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island