Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 04:31 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,897,602 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Gorbea sucks - I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 04:36 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Yeah, Gorbea sucks - I agree.
Don't step on my post (and I don't care that it doesn't belong in your thread).

Old 06-24-2022, 05:20 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
IT'S. REALITY. Your 'hood is a $hitshow, ormari. Your elected officials are an embarrassment. The bulk of the city is really, just a big dysfunctional mess. It's filthy. Criminals run the streets. One can't even grab an empanada at Johnny's Chimi Truck without the threat of being stabbed or shot. Junkies roam RWP in broad daylight (watch you come out with your typical bs lines like "blah I live here and that can't be further from the truth!"), and nobody GAF. Innocent people are now being victimized by young hooligans on Thayer St.. THAYER ST. folks! Without consequences! As our friend PB always says, "in a democracy, we get the government we deserve" or something to that effect. It couldn't be more true. And you're not ashamed? Really???
Thanks for laying out your agenda- and you clearly are pressing one.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Don't step on my post (and I don't care that it doesn't belong in your thread).

Eh, me neither.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:34 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Thanks for laying out your agenda- and you clearly are pressing one.

I don't know what agenda you think I am pressing. I have no stake in the game here, other than maybe the desire to see some pride for a chance. That also involves taking a little responsibility in the voting booth.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:04 AM

‘Nellie Tax’? Gorbea defends plan to hike RI corporate tax as rivals attack

Quote:
One of Gorbea’s opponents, former CVS executive Helena Foulkes, trained her fire Thursday on the idea of increasing the corporate tax rate, which lawmakers had lowered in 2014. While Gorbea’s commercial suggests the tax change would only target “big corporations,” Foulkes said “the devil is in the details of her plan.”

“The truth is that the Nellie Tax will affect thousands of businesses, including small businesses in our state — businesses like Big Blue Bug Solutions, Iggy’s, Chelo’s, Gregg’s and Del’s,” Foulkes said in a statement.

Gorbea’s campaign manager, Dana Walton, pointed out that Gorbea wants to use the additional state revenue generated by the tax changes — estimated at over $88 million a year — to expand government programs that will benefit voters.

“Of course a corporate CEO thinks it’s more important to preserve corporate tax loopholes than invest in our state,” Walton said. “Nellie believes that corporations should pay their fair share so that we can invest in affordable housing and expanded early childhood education, which builds a strong foundation for businesses in our state.”

McKee’s campaign manager, Brexton Isaacs, argued Gorbea is making “empty promises in TV commercials.” He pointed out that the ad suggests the business tax increases would fund both universal pre-K and housing construction, but the cost of universal pre-K alone is estimated at $120 million — far more than the $88 million Gorbea estimates the tax hike would yield.
https://www.wpri.com/news/elections/...rivals-attack/

OK...at least it's starting to get a little spicy...

Old 06-25-2022, 09:20 AM

District 2 Race Update:

Quote:
Democratic frontrunner Seth Magaziner has seized on abortion to draw a contrast with GOP frontrunner Allan Fung, whose party appointed the majority that ended Roe and who will now face pressure to spell out how he’d vote on specific abortion bills. With the political environment growing ever more dire for Democrats, Magaziner and his allies are urgently seeking issues that could help convince voters to let them retain Jim Langevin’s seat come November.

If the gloves have finally come off in the primary for governor, they’re still snugly on the hands of the Democrats vying for the party’s nomination in the 2nd Congressional District. Despite Seth Magaziner’s massive lead in polling and fundraising, the other five candidates so far seem uninterested in mixing it up with one another to draw some attention and define themselves with voters.

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...notes-june-25/

Old 06-27-2022, 07:48 AM

More than 1 million voters switch to GOP in warning for Dems

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — A political shift is beginning to take hold across the U.S. as tens of thousands of suburban swing voters who helped fuel the Democratic Party’s gains in recent years are becoming Republicans.

More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last year, according to voter registration data analyzed by The Associated Press. The previously unreported number reflects a phenomenon that is playing out in virtually every region of the country — Democratic and Republican states along with cities and small towns — in the period since President Joe Biden replaced former President Donald Trump.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midt...66ec45402be8b9

Ho-hum. Just another mid term.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:32 AM

4,255 posts, read 1,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
[b]More than 1 million voters switch to GOP in warning for Dems[/B

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midt...66ec45402be8b9

Ho-hum. Just another mid term.
"CRT", "BLM", "GBI", "ACAB", "Equity", "Reparations", "Social justice", " 'reimagining' law enforcement"...etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Let these mark the tombstone of today's new Liberal, RIP my misguided cousins. Safety, prosperity and order......nothing else really mattered. Nothing else EVER matters.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:37 AM

Holy cow, this is working out even better than I could have imagined. It's not November yet, and things could change, but holy jesus it looks like District 2 Rhode Island is going red!!!

New poll: Gorbea leads Democratic field for governor, Fung has advantage over Democrats

Quote:

Nellie Gorbea leads incumbent Dan McKee in the Rhode Island governor’s race, Republican Allan Fung has the edge in any potential congressional match-up, and a significant majority of Rhode Island don’t think President Joe Biden should run again, according to a new Boston Globe/Suffolk University poll.

The poll puts RI Secretary of State Gorbea at 24%, Gov. McKee at 20%, former CVS executive Helena Foulkes at 16%, former RI Secretary of State Matt Brown at 5%, and Dr. Luis Daniel Munoz at 1%, with 31% of respondents undecided.

Meanwhile, former Cranston Mayor Allan Fung would win a matchup with any of the Democrats in the field to replace departing Rep. Jim Langevin in the second congressional district.

The closest contest would be Fung holding a 45% to 39% advantage over RI General Treasurer Seth Magaziner in a potential face-off of primary front runners.

The poll shows Fung with a lead of about 10% in a match-up against any of the other Democrats in the race.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/new-...over-democrats

The "Progressives" have been the best recruiting tool that the Republicans could have ever hoped for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island