Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 06:31 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times

Advertisements

Well, this is certainly an interesting problem to have- thanks to the Feds it appears.

For one idea, I would like to see affordable housing built in areas which have sections that are slums that could/should be razed. Not towers, smaller units that blend into the neighborhood and that people like to live in. Towers tend to turn into more slums.

Please read this and contribute your positive suggestions if you have any.....

https://www.wpri.com/news/politics/r...llion-surplus/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 06:49 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Well, this is certainly an interesting problem to have- thanks to the Feds it appears.

For one idea, I would like to see affordable housing built in areas which have sections that are slums that could/should be razed. Not towers, smaller units that blend into the neighborhood and that people like to live in. Towers tend to turn into more slums.

Please read this and contribute your positive suggestions if you have any.....

https://www.wpri.com/news/politics/r...llion-surplus/
I'd like to see affordable housing built everywhere. Decent housing is a basic foundation to everything else including safety, health & employment. Affordable homeownership for the employed families would be my emphasis. Homeownership has been shown to lead to a community pride that betters us all.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Until the state pension system is 100% funded, that’s where you put excess cash.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:33 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times
Don't spend it. And certainly not on "affordable housing". Grow a middle class economy with jobs and you'll be amazed how much more quickly housing becomes affordable rather than having Uncle Sugar wave his magic wand. What's holding you back? In large part, it's the tax burden though I'd be surprised if even one of you fully grasped its pernicious effects. Fortunately your Democratic leadership seems to understand that this is where to direct these dollars from the sky. You people are something else. Always crying about your elected officials when you don't even deserve the ones you have.

Last edited by PureBoston; 05-17-2022 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-17-2022, 08:35 AM

5,113 posts, read 2,668,728 times
When was the last time RI (particularly metro PVD) had something of a vibrant job market? I don't recall a time in recent memory.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:39 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Until the state pension system is 100% funded, that’s where you put excess cash.

Anything else would be foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
When was the last time RI (particularly metro PVD) had something of a vibrant job market? I don't recall a time in recent memory.

Probably the 80s?

Old 05-17-2022, 08:46 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times
Quote:
Growing up in Greater Boston's endless sea of middle class prosperity, I was always struck by the contrast of Rhode Island's extreme socioeconomic stratification. They've got two problems, and the second flows from the first. Too many Democrats and too much taxation. It's toxic. And it's kryptonite to job creation.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:50 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

It's hard to know if that's being being considered since we have only local reportage to rely on.

Anyone who actually cares to look at the truth on unemployment statistics can look here:

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-...nt-update.aspx

Old 05-17-2022, 10:00 AM

5,113 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Growing up in Greater Boston's endless sea of middle class prosperity, I was always struck by the contrast of Rhode Island's extreme socioeconomic stratification. They've got two problems, and the second flows from the first. Too many Democrats and too much taxation. It's toxic. And it's kryptonite to job creation.
I hear you. It's not so much the lack of jobs per se, but the types of jobs and wages for those jobs that seem to be the major issue. One reason why so many from MA move to RI but continue to commute to MA for work. MA has a housing cost problem and RI has a wage problem.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:50 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
I hear you. It's not so much the lack of jobs per se, but the types of jobs and wages for those jobs that seem to be the major issue. One reason why so many from MA move to RI but continue to commute to MA for work. MA has a housing cost problem and RI has a wage problem.
Rhode Island has both problems: High housing costs & the lack of jobs which pay a wage to afford the housing costs. Wages don't support the cost of housings. As virtually everywhere, there are plenty of low paying jobs in RI. Workers struggle with the lack of affordable housing. And, they have nowhere to commute from where it's cheaper. Stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island