Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 06:49 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Lugo has been charged with assault and disorderly conduct. Why is his suspension still "with pay"?

I'd be surprised if they can suspend him without pay before he is actually convicted, or has his day in court. The union would have a field day with that. It was the same thing with the cop from Pawtucket involved in the W Greenwich incident, I think he kept his pay at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 08:51 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,900,634 times
DePetro has video of a pro-abortion protester initiating the violence.

According to him, the Police are not on the hunt.

Quote:
Every fight starts with someone throwing the first punch. Friday night at the Rhode Island State House turned into chaos due to a abortion protester who threw a sucker punch at a non-violent man who went to film. Sources say rally organizers are not cooperating with police nor are state police really looking for green Adidas man who threw the first sucker punch that started the chaos. Much has been made of Officer Lugo who claims he was acting in self-defense yet no effort has been made by State Police to locate the person that started the fight. Sources claim police are not looking for him since he was with the abortion group who organized the rally. John DePetro was there and captured the violent speeches made to incite the crowd into violence. The green sucker puncher was on the steps and with the rally organizers yet no effort made to locate him.
https://depetro.com/2022/06/video-wi...e-state-house/

Old 06-27-2022, 10:43 AM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'd be surprised if they can suspend him without pay before he is actually convicted, or has his day in court. The union would have a field day with that. It was the same thing with the cop from Pawtucket involved in the W Greenwich incident, I think he kept his pay at first.
It's not even necessarily Union but the LEOBOR - which really needs to be revisited. Just how much are bad cops costing the taxpayers?

If law enforcement is deciding there's enough there to charge him, they should get to make the call at that point to can him.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:57 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
It's not even necessarily Union but the LEOBOR - which really needs to be revisited. Just how much are bad cops costing the taxpayers?

If law enforcement is deciding there's enough there to charge him, they should get to make the call at that point to can him.

I'm sorry, but there is a thing called due process. People get charged with crimes all the time. If your job cans people for a crime they "allegedly" committed before they even had a chance to see their day in court, then you have a pretty lousy employer.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:24 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but there is a thing called due process. People get charged with crimes all the time. If your job cans people for a crime they "allegedly" committed before they even had a chance to see their day in court, then you have a pretty lousy employer.
Can him. Before even being convicted by due process in a court of law. And these are the folks that bemoan the loss of democracy. And whose lips are sewn together as armed criniminals terrorize Providence.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:28 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Can him. Before even being convicted by due process in a court of law. And these are the folks that bemoan the loss of democracy.
I wonder if that sentiment applies to all workers?

Old 06-27-2022, 11:58 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I wonder if that sentiment applies to all workers?
No, just organized labor. These "Liberals" can't understand that unions are the best friends the working man ever had. The closest they've ever been to a picket line is crossing one .

Old 06-27-2022, 03:31 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,900,634 times
Providence officer’s attorney: There is ‘far more to what occurred’ at rally

Quote:
Lugo’s attorney Daniel Griffin tells 12 News there is “far more to what occurred” than what’s being reported.

“We are working diligently to identify and speak to witnesses and we continue to obtain and analyze other video footage taken that night,” Griffin said in a statement.
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...rred-at-rally/

Old 06-27-2022, 04:17 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
It sounds like he was doing what most LEO are called to do and that is protect the vulnerable and those not able to protect themselves. I would not be surprised if he stepped into a situation to help out the underdog from a pack of bullies and found himself in a hornet's nest. If he assaulted her without provocation that's not defensible. If he became overwhelmed and made a mistake, that might be. I'll let the facts from the investigation come in before making judgements.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:06 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
I think a lot of places do. But there's no reason th suspend him with pay either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island