Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2024, 06:06 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,700,085 times

Advertisements

I have family from Portland, Oregon coming to visit and they are vegetarian (or maybe vegan?). I know there are some vegetarians (vegans?) on this forum, so I would like to hear about good vegan, vegetarian, and vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurants in Rhode Island (not just greater Providence).

I have been to Garden Grille, Plant City, the Grange (RIP), and Veggie Fun. What are some others that people like? Veg. friendly ethnic restaurant recommendations are welcome, particularly if they accommodate/navigate the sometimes difficult ethnic restaurant veggie issues (e.g. fish sauce in “vegetarian” Thai food—I know that Heng Thai, for instance, has a vegan menu, but not all Thai restaurants do...) I am particularly interested to learn if there is anything in Newport, as we will be going there.

I look forward to any useful recommendations. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 04:54 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I have family from Portland, Oregon coming to visit and they are vegetarian (or maybe vegan?). I know there are some vegetarians (vegans?) on this forum, so I would like to hear about good vegan, vegetarian, and vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurants in Rhode Island (not just greater Providence).

I have been to Garden Grille, Plant City, the Grange (RIP), and Veggie Fun. What are some others that people like? Veg. friendly ethnic restaurant recommendations are welcome, particularly if they accommodate/navigate the sometimes difficult ethnic restaurant veggie issues (e.g. fish sauce in “vegetarian” Thai food—I know that Heng Thai, for instance, has a vegan menu, but not all Thai restaurants do...) I am particularly interested to learn if there is anything in Newport, as we will be going there.
I look forward to any useful recommendations. Thanks!
As for Newport, you might try Diego's in Bowen's Wharf. It has a good veg menu. Also, Root for a more veg/vegan casual outing. I don't winter in RI, so I'm not sure what these places are like off season.

However, for out of state vegetarians, Plant City & Garden Grill usually impress. I'm not vegan & not a good judge of the food. I haven't been to Apsara on Elmwood Av. in ages, but it was always a dependable go-to for veg (not vegan) options.

Old 03-14-2024, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the Diego’s and Root suggestions.

I know I am in the minority, and I have been dragged there by friends many, many times, but I don’t much care for Apsara.
Has anyone here been to Foglia in Bristol? https://fogliabristol.com/

Old 03-14-2024, 04:24 PM

17,750 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
I know I am in the minority, and I have been dragged there by friends many, many times, but I don’t much care for Apsara.
I'm apparently in the minority also. Only had Apsara once, but no desire to get it again.

I really liked their sauces and their veggies, but I wasn't impressed at all with the quality of their meats. Though that doesn't matter for this thread, I guess.

Old 03-15-2024, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the Diego’s and Root suggestions.

Has anyone here been to Foglia in Bristol? https://fogliabristol.com/
Heard good things from friends who have been. On my list for the summer.

Old 03-15-2024, 05:32 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,677,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Heard good things from friends who have been. On my list for the summer.
31 bucks for a mushroom filet? And 12 for chickpea wedges? We're vegetarians, not idiots.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
31 bucks for a mushroom filet? And 12 for chickpea wedges? We're vegetarians, not idiots.
I know. Friends will be buying. Expensive & a little on the precious side. Besides, batter any veg, throw it in a veg oil deep fryer & it usually gets 5 stars from me.

Old Today, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
As for Newport, you might try Diego's in Bowen's Wharf. It has a good veg menu. Also, Root for a more veg/vegan casual outing. I don't winter in RI, so I'm not sure what these places are like off season.
Thanks again for this. We went to Diego’s and it was a hit.

We also went to Basil and Bunny in Bristol, which is all plant based, followed by a visit to Pivotal Brewing. Basil and Bunny was also a hit, but Pivotal was largely a ‘meh’ with the west coasters. Nice space though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island