Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 10:22 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Who is the reader to trust: Mr. Pathological, or the Providence Police Department?
The only pathological behavior I see here is the ongoing denial of the fear, heartache, and pain suffered by residents of Providence's troubled neighborhoods. My own accounts are based off of, and backed up by the Providence PD.

Quote:
A more sensible way
You seriously underestimate the intelligence of the reader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
a poster who, it may be presumed, has some sort of crime fetish - the exact nature of which can only be left to health professionals.
This ad hominem attack is highly inappropriate.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:25 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This ad hominem attack is highly inappropriate.
Do you read your own posts??

Old 08-23-2022, 10:32 AM

3,794 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
You seriously underestimate the intelligence of the reader.
I linked the Prov. Police Data precisely because I know the reader is smart enough to understand it plainly. The PPD are far more credible on the subject of violent crime than anyone on this board. It is evident from PPD data that you have mis-characterized Providence crime.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I linked the Prov. Police Data precisely because I know the reader is smart enough to understand it plainly. The PPD are far more credible on the subject of violent crime than anyone on this board. It is evident from PPD data that you have mis-characterized Providence crime.
No you simply keep moving the goalposts. This discussion began around the increase of violent crime over last year, with nothing said about 5 year trends. I'm not going to explain this again.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:01 PM

A refresher for the long-suffering reader:

Thread title: Providence violence on the rise again?

First post:
Quote:
After what seemed like a relative slow start to the summer compared to 2021 (not counting the weekend of PVDFest), things might be heating up again. Two people were stabbed last night on Alverson Ave. in the Hartford/Silver Lake area of the city, following a fight between a group of people.

Based on various factors I'm not going to get into right now, there is certainly a potential for things to explode in the coming weeks (the ingredients are all there). How that manifests, is anybody's guess.
[ed: reference to yet another crime post deleted for everyone's sake]
So the OP suggested that violent crime is rising. Most of us would look at the # of events per unit time in the current year, and compare that number to the # of events per unit time in the past. As of 8/7/22, Providence Police say there have been 504 violent crime events year to date. Providence Police also say that last year at this time, there had been 503 violent crime events year to date. That's less than a 0.2% difference. I call that essentially the same as last year, not rising, not falling. The police say the same, they call it a 0% difference. But year to year comparisons are volatile. Better analysis is needed.

OP makes a belligerent show of not recognizing that normal people routinely look at averages over five, ten, and more years to get a better sense of what trends look like, smoothing out temporal anomalies, be it average mortgage rate, rainfall, temperature, or violent crime events. Let the reader make their own judgment about his refusal to try to understand the situation rationally, and his insistence that doing any basic analysis is moving the goalposts.

BTW, anybody have any insight into the predictive model "he won't... get into"? Based on the extremely limited analysis provided so far, my guess is he consulted an astrologer. Any other guesses?

Old 08-23-2022, 04:20 PM

Default Apartment shot up in South Providence

This happened yesterday evening. Sounded like she was home at the time, when a bullet went through the wall of her apartment.

Gunshot Fired Into Apartment in Providence — Bullet Found Lodged in Wall

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/gun...lodged-in-wall

"A woman in Providence told police that a gunshot was fired into her apartment on Monday evening.
The incident occurred on Broad Street.

After receiving a 911 call shortly after 7 PM, police responded to a call at the 500 block of Broad Street.

The police met with the female victim, who said that someone had fired a shot into her apartment."

The 500 block of Broad St. is a very problematic area, folks.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...!4d-71.4215439

Old 08-23-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
A refresher for the long-suffering reader:

Thread title: Providence violence on the rise again?

First post:

So the OP suggested that violent crime is rising. Most of us would look at the # of events per unit time in the current year, and compare that number to the # of events per unit time in the past. As of 8/7/22, Providence Police say there have been 504 violent crime events year to date. Providence Police also say that last year at this time, there had been 503 violent crime events year to date. That's less than a 0.2% difference. I call that essentially the same as last year, not rising, not falling. The police say the same, they call it a 0% difference. But year to year comparisons are volatile. Better analysis is needed.

OP makes a belligerent show of not recognizing that normal people routinely look at averages over five, ten, and more years to get a better sense of what trends look like, smoothing out temporal anomalies, be it average mortgage rate, rainfall, temperature, or violent crime events. Let the reader make their own judgment about his refusal to try to understand the situation rationally, and his insistence that doing any basic analysis is moving the goalposts.

BTW, anybody have any insight into the predictive model "he won't... get into"? Based on the extremely limited analysis provided so far, my guess is he consulted an astrologer. Any other guesses?

As you are well aware, I focus on the SERIOUS stuff. I don't think too many are worried about the "simple assaults" that tend to be far more random and with the greatest discrepancies in their reporting. August isn't over yet. I'm counting 336 incidents of serious violent crime from January - July of 2022, vs. 252 for January - July of 2021. That is an increase of 84 incidents, or a 33% increase from the first seven months of 2021 to first seven months of 2022. Not at all insignificant.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I don't think too many are worried about the "simple assaults" that tend to be far more random and with the greatest discrepancies in their reporting. August isn't over yet. I'm counting 336 incidents of serious violent crime from January - July of 2022, vs. 252 for January - July of 2021. That is an increase of 84 incidents, or a 33% increase from the first seven months of 2021 to first seven months of 2022. Not at all insignificant.
Well isn't that precious... the OP selects which crimes he thinks are important to judge whether violent crime is going up or down. Of course, nobody knows how he selects them. Did he specify what kind of crime he was thinking about in the first post? Of course not. Does he cite his data so that the reader can verify it? Of course not. You're just supposed to blindly accept his word. You're supposed to accept that he knows better than the Providence Police. You're not supposed to compare Providence violent crime rates to that of other cities. You're not supposed to use basic math to compare current year Providence crime rates to average rates.

And he won't even dare mention the most serious of violent crimes, i.e. Homicide, as it messes with his warped narrative. In 2022, there have been five homicides, year to date, 2021 there were 15 homicides, year to date. The five year average is 10 homicides, year to date. (Look at the upper right of the data in that link...)

The Providence Police post crime data. The reader to look at the data themselves. And by the way, several weeks back the PPD held a press conference to note that crime was down...

Listen to the Providence Police, or listen to the OP?

Old 08-24-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Well isn't that precious... the OP selects which crimes he thinks are important to judge whether violent crime is going up or down. Of course, nobody knows how he selects them. Did he specify what kind of crime he was thinking about in the first post? Of course not. Does he cite his data so that the reader can verify it? Of course not. You're just supposed to blindly accept his word. You're supposed to accept that he knows better than the Providence Police. You're not supposed to compare Providence violent crime rates to that of other cities. You're not supposed to use basic math to compare current year Providence crime rates to average rates.

And he won't even dare mention the most serious of violent crimes, i.e. Homicide, as it messes with his warped narrative. In 2022, there have been five homicides, year to date, 2021 there were 15 homicides, year to date. The five year average is 10 homicides, year to date. (Look at the upper right of the data in that link...)

The Providence Police post crime data. The reader to look at the data themselves. And by the way, several weeks back the PPD held a press conference to note that crime was down...

Listen to the Providence Police, or listen to the OP?

All explained in depth on post #34.

With info obtained directly from the PPD. Any part you don't understand, I would be more than happy to explain.

https://data.providenceri.gov/Public...days/rz3y-pz8v

Quit with your gaslighting nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island