Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 06:53 PM

4,378 posts, read 3,184,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Except one of the two IS real. Trust me, as a cash fellow I can assure you that not one working American got out of bed this fine morning of July 13th worrying about fascism. Or nazism. Or authoritarianism. Or Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Millard Fillmore or Babe Ruth. We've got our hands more than full with Joe Biden, shrinking dollars, shrinking paychecks, covid, crime and social disorder.
Wrong. I'm a working American who's worried about the threats our democracy is facing and the rise in fascism and just overall meanness. I've never seen anything like it in my lifetime. Or all the Nazi leafletting going on in my own state. It's extremely worrying.

Inflation, stagflation, recessions, unemployment. I've seen all those cycle in and cycle out. I've made less, made more, got laid off, found a new job but had basic faith in the rock solid nature of my country whatever my personal situation.

And this is another problem in America these days: you really don't believe that ONE working person has a different opinion than you, different fears than you, much less millions of people? Such is the bubble so many have built for themselves.

I know Joe Biden might lose. That doesn't scare me. A Trump who doesn't ever have to face another election? A GOP that is currently working state by gerrymandered state to remove power from the voters and put it in the state legislature to rig future presidential elections? Scares the hell out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 07:39 PM

4,255 posts, read 1,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Wrong. I'm a working American who's worried about the threats our democracy is facing and the rise in fascism and just overall meanness. I've never seen anything like it in my lifetime. Or all the Nazi leafletting going on in my own state. It's extremely worrying.

Inflation, stagflation, recessions, unemployment. I've seen all those cycle in and cycle out. I've made less, made more, got laid off, found a new job but had basic faith in the rock solid nature of my country whatever my personalsituation.

And this is another problem in America these days: you really don't believe that ONE working person has a different opinion than you, different fears than you, much less millions of people? Such is the bubble so many have built for themselves.

I know Joe Biden might lose. That doesn't scare me. A Trump who doesn't ever have to face another election? A GOP that is currently working state by gerrymandered state to remove power from the voters and put it in the state legislature to rig future presidential elections? Scares the hell out of me.
We're through, remember? I simply don't hold your opinion in high enough regard to comment on it. Sorry.

Last edited by PureBoston; 07-13-2022 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 09:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:

Inflation, stagflation, recessions, unemployment. I've seen all those cycle in and cycle out. I've made less, made more, got laid off, found a new job but had basic faith in the rock solid nature of my country whatever my personal situation.

I'll answer.

What the heck does that mean?

Old 07-13-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
We're through, remember? I simply don't hold your opinion in high enough regard to comment on it. Sorry.
Yet you did comment.

I wish this board surprised me once in a while.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I'll answer.

What the heck does that mean?
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...eory-explained

In Arizona, Republican lawmakers are considering legislation that would allow the legislature to overturn presidential election results.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...tion-officials

"GOP legislators in at least 14 states have enacted 23 new laws that empower state officials to take control of county election boards, strip secretaries of state of their executive authority, or make local election officials criminally or financially liable for even technical errors"

"In Georgia, Republican Gov. Brian Kemp in March signed into law a measure that demotes the secretary of state from the chair of the State Board of Elections and allows the legislature to appoint most members of the board. It also permits the board to suspend election officials.

Using this new law, Republican lawmakers are considering a state takeover of Fulton County elections, threatening local control of the Democratic stronghold in the Atlanta area. After the November presidential election, Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger resisted calls from Trump and other Republicans to decertify Biden’s victory in the Peach State."

Sorry, there's one new proposed law that's REALLY bold, but I can't find it now and should have been in bed 2 hrs ago!

Old 07-14-2022, 04:33 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:

Nazi/White Supremacist leaflets are surfacing all over Rhode Island these days. I'm old enough to have seen extreme, painful economic cycles come & go. As well as having seen conservatives & liberals come & go - with American fascists & communists usually crawling quietly at the opposite subterranean fringes.

What seems dangerously new now, is that the fascist cohort is much larger than expected & has been brought above ground with a surprising boldness. So confident & unafraid that they actually attacked the capitol in an attempt to violently overthrow a presidential election (democracy). It failed, but these fascists are plenty and still amongst us in Rhode Island, as everywhere. A pending economic calamity is only making matters worse. World history tells us fascism, preceded by democracy, rarely makes it to controlling power without economic upheaval first.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:05 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...eory-explained

In Arizona, Republican lawmakers are considering legislation that would allow the legislature to overturn presidential election results.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...tion-officials

"GOP legislators in at least 14 states have enacted 23 new laws that empower state officials to take control of county election boards, strip secretaries of state of their executive authority, or make local election officials criminally or financially liable for even technical errors"

"In Georgia, Republican Gov. Brian Kemp in March signed into law a measure that demotes the secretary of state from the chair of the State Board of Elections and allows the legislature to appoint most members of the board. It also permits the board to suspend election officials.

Using this new law, Republican lawmakers are considering a state takeover of Fulton County elections, threatening local control of the Democratic stronghold in the Atlanta area. After the November presidential election, Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger resisted calls from Trump and other Republicans to decertify Biden’s victory in the Peach State."

Sorry, there's one new proposed law that's REALLY bold, but I can't find it now and should have been in bed 2 hrs ago!
Sorry to keep you up. A quick research shows at least one of them is a Liberal site. In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about. A lot of these sites throw out fear, just like extreme Right Wing sites do. I get a bunch of them in my E-mail daily and I don't pay attention to any of them. Basically speaking, there is no way we are going to have unfair elections in this country. Their biggest goal is trying to make sure they get your vote.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Nazi/White Supremacist leaflets are surfacing all over Rhode Island these days. I'm old enough to have seen extreme, painful economic cycles come & go. As well as having seen conservatives & liberals come & go - with American fascists & communists usually crawling quietly at the opposite subterranean fringes.

What seems dangerously new now, is that the fascist cohort is much larger than expected & has been brought above ground with a surprising boldness. So confident & unafraid that they actually attacked the capitol in an attempt to violently overthrow a presidential election (democracy). It failed, but these fascists are plenty and still amongst us in Rhode Island, as everywhere. A pending economic calamity is only making matters worse. World history tells us fascism, preceded by democracy, rarely makes it to controlling power wof the ithout economic upheaval first.
Haste makes waste. Yes it does. I was just about to dismiss your entire post as simply more hysterical rantings from the Lunatic Left when I noticed a kernel of truth. "Economic calamity is only making matters worse." That's it, eureka! You've stumbled upon the epitaph of your own ideology. History tells us that Centrism generally makes it to power right after the Loonies spin the country into the toilet.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Sorry to keep you up. A quick research shows at least one of them is a Liberal site. In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about. A lot of these sites throw out fear, just like extreme Right Wing sites do. I get a bunch of them in my E-mail daily and I don't pay attention to any of them. Basically speaking, there is no way we are going to have unfair elections in this country. Their biggest goal is trying to make sure they get your vote.
Precisely. It's WWF stuff, and there's a lot of fans here. Rumor has it that they're writing in Chief Jay Strongbow on the next ballot.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Politicians of all stripes absolutely LOVE extremists. Much easier to manipulate with base emotions. This was the greatest fear of our Founders regarding democracy. They correctly understood human nature to be timeless. How prescient were these "plain, honest men" in the Summer of 1787. What's old is new.

Last edited by PureBoston; 07-14-2022 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island