Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 05:58 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Still, I'd rather live in Pawtucket over Somerville.
And let me guess...you'd rather live in South Providence over Pawtucket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 06:03 PM

3,781 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And let me guess...you'd rather live in South Providence over Pawtucket?

Guessing is what you are best at, given your lack of understanding of... well, anything. You're still batting .000 though.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:31 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Guessing is what you are best at, given your lack of understanding of... well, anything. You're still batting .000 though.
OK, so we've established that you would prefer to live in Pawtucket, despite being priced out of there. Betcha you miss Oak Hill, with what's been happening in your neck of the woods lately.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:52 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Closer proximity to Boston likely has something to do with it. Aren't Boston metro prices still increasing? Oak Hill is more commutable than Providence. There's a lot to like about Oak Hill.

In my Providence neighborhood, we have several people who have just recently relocated from higher priced Northeast cities, with the bulk coming from Cambridge and Somerville.

Of course, the prices in my neighborhood aren't anywhere close to the subject property mr2448 points out. Still, what's going on with that price? The house was listed and pending at $689k, then sells for $270k more?
Really? You think someone who can afford $957k on a house in Pawtucket can't afford a house in the Boston metro area?

By the looks of the house, it appears the owner spared nothing with upgrades. Looks like a very pricey major renovation.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:58 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Although this thread has ended up in the usual contentious nonsense, the fact remains that the house sold for a high price. That's irrefutable for the constant naysayers.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:09 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Although this thread has ended up in the usual contentious nonsense, the fact remains that the house sold for a high price. That's irrefutable for the constant naysayers.

LOL! You are absolutely on point. Though, I must say, for Pawtucket and a house that small it is a major lift. I hope the new owners are happy.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:34 PM

4,224 posts, read 1,671,575 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't know about that, John. People from Somerville are likely to recognize the value that Rhode Island real estate offers them vs. Somerville. I can't tell you how many places I looked at in Somerville that needed multiples of six figures in repair to make them livable, and that was on top of the eye watering prices. There's the commute of course as the inevitable trade off, but that's the market.

Of course, maybe you just think anyone who doesn't listen to you is a clueless idiot. Must be mighty dark and lonely there in your tiny interior lair. Have you booked a stay in the rubber spa? You deserve it.
Value in real estate is completely subjective. To some, it's more house for the money, and to others it's location. Think about it, houses are selling just as briskly in Somerville as Pawtucket. At three times the price. These folks obviously value location over square footage. Or condition. A good value is simply what one thinks it is. And remember, the adage in real estate isn't value, value, value.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:05 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Value in real estate is completely subjective. To some, it's more house for the money, and to others it's location. Think about it, houses are selling just as briskly in Somerville as Pawtucket. At three times the price. These folks obviously value location over square footage. Or condition. A good value is simply what one thinks it is. And remember, the adage in real estate isn't value, value, value.
Location, location, location is almost always the prime determinate. After that factor in square footage, lot size, condition & a variety of other less important conditions. Also, can't underestimate curb appeal.

The "location" of city urban real estate can be a considerably more micro matter than in suburban areas. Sales records show unmolested houses in protected local historic districts, within otherwise deteriorated streets, can command much greater square foot sales values than similar sized houses just short blocks away.

As for Somerville/Pawtucket? Somerville's singular proximity to prized Boston almost renders the comparison moot.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OK, so we've established that you would prefer to live in Pawtucket, despite being priced out of there. Betcha you miss Oak Hill, with what's been happening in your neck of the woods lately.

No, we've established that you are incapable of nuanced thinking.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Really? You think someone who can afford $957k on a house in Pawtucket can't afford a house in the Boston metro area?

That is not what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island