Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 08:30 AM

4,255 posts, read 1,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Really? I guess you must be young. If you're under 40 or so you probably didn't see it as the last liberals (environmental protection, expand organized labor, etc) for the Dems were in the 1970s. After Reagan, the Democratic party went hardcore to the right as the Republican party went far right when they embraced the evangelical caucus. Clinton and Obama weren't "liberals", they're neoliberals. Very much in the pockets and for big business. Wanting "market based solutions" to problems (allowing corporations to "fix" the problems they cause). Turning their back on labor and the working class. Mainstream Democratic party is now firmly center right. They've gone a bit left on some social issues (gay marriage, etc), but generally those SHOULD have been traditional small goverment / keep out of private lives conservatism as well, but since the Republicans went hard evangelical doctrine promotion with Reagan, well, that type of conservative all but disappeared. Boy I wish there were Al Simpson type Republicans again... of course, he wouldn't be allowed in the Republican party now.

They most certainly do not. That is why there is so much fight against the EPA and their regulatory authority and why the Department of the Interior in general is a target for Republicans in their environmental protection pursuits.

I'm not a fan of Biden at all. But if people want to complain about record job growth, rising wages, and an economy that is so on fire that they need to take drastic measures to slow it down, even risking a recession (which I think will happen, soft landings are incredibly rare), then I'd hate to see what they'd complain about in a bad economy.
Presidents Clinton and Obama were both fairly representative of most Democrat's idea of governance. Except perhaps, the out of touch fringes. They didn't get everything right, but nobody ever does.This country hovers around the middle of the political spectrum and it's just the way most of us like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Yes, all of that. And, the plunging stock market & equity values. However, the Dow was up an unexplained 800 points yesterday?
And for dessert, likely a recession. Which economy is the other guy talking about?

Old 10-14-2022, 08:49 AM

I'll say though that the banking thing was a criminal disgrace. And the Marc Rich pardon? Slime city. ANY president can be only so in touch with the everyday man. This is simply reality.

Last edited by PureBoston; 10-14-2022 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-14-2022, 09:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Biden & Congress overspent during Covid. All of this money in the economy ignited inflation. Now the Fed will continue to hike interest rates to bring it down. I doubt they will find the sweet spot to do it & avoid a recession at the same time. A new year's gift would be Biden & Harris announcing they won't run again. Democrats need new blood.
If that were the root cause we wouldn't see inflation being a global phenomenon. It would be skewed toward a U.S. phenomenon, which it is not.

2020-2022 has the highest wage growth in real dollars (inflation adjusted) in over 40 years.

I agree Dems need new blood, not more "neobliberal" conservative blood.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:51 AM

8,063 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
If that were the root cause we wouldn't see inflation being a global phenomenon. It would be skewed toward a U.S. phenomenon, which it is not.
2020-2022 has the highest wage growth in real dollars (inflation adjusted) in over 40 years.
I agree Dems need new blood, not more "neobliberal" conservative blood.
You make a good point, but Covid overspending wasn't just an American condition. It was first-world wide. While, I consider myself a progressive, I'd sacrifice a bit of ideology for some dynamic leadership style from a democratic presidential candidate. Political charisma & competence can't be dead in the democratic party. Just recently gone missing.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:59 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I've had enough of "charisma" with Clinton and Obama who both didn't get much (that was helpful) done, except the ACA.

Biden for his plentiful faults atleast wrangled a sorely needed infrastructure bill through after not having a decent infrastructure investment since Eisenhower.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I've had enough of "charisma" with Clinton and Obama who both didn't get much (that was helpful) done, except the ACA.
Charisma is an important element of successful leadership in our social media century. I don't lump those two presidents together. Obama's ACA was no small accomplishment. And, he probably also proved that over 50% of the country's voters weren't racists.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:59 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
And, he probably also proved that over 50% of the country's voters weren't racists.
I try to stay out of these national political debates here, but that is one of the most absurd statements I have seen of the year

Old 10-14-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I try to stay out of these national political debates here, but that is one of the most absurd statements I have seen of the year
I recommend you try harder.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
You make a good point, but Covid overspending wasn't just an American condition. It was first-world wide. While, I consider myself a progressive, I'd sacrifice a bit of ideology for some dynamic leadership style from a democratic presidential candidate. Political charisma & competence can't be dead in the democratic party. Just recently gone missing.
It ain't the mystery of the Pyramids. The Democrats have allowed far to much influence within the party from the extreme Left, moving completely of touch with everyday working Americans. These follks don't want their cities burned to remind them that they're racists. They want police on the street and criminal scum in jail. They don't need charts to establish their indicated level of guilt for being White and they certainly don't want the idea of merit to be off limits as discriminatory. They understand unbridled immigration to be an idea in favor only on Nantuket. And Washington. When you wash up on our shores, please have a better reason than "because my own country is a dangerous sh*thole". And Progressives? Throw the damn, asinine BLM flags in the rubbish or use them for toilet paper. Buncha conning thugs looking to shove it up your White a**s. Todays Left Wing Lunacy seems to be more a form of retardation than anything else. What kinda dimwit moron mails a leafblower to the West Coast riots? Being a Democrat doesn't have to mean being jaw-droppingly stupid. We may yet escape a midterm bloodbath due only to Republican blundering, but the first party to claim the middle will clean house.

Last edited by PureBoston; 10-14-2022 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island